Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Evinrude Mechanical Question

If by chance there are any Evinrude mechanics out there in fishn.com world. What would cause my Z20 to take so long to get on plane? When I 1st bought the boat it was like a bullet coming out of the water. Now 5 years later it seems to take forever to get on plane. I have the 225 Etec HO. Thanks. much Marty

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Evinrude Mechanical Question

Quote Originally Posted by rudeZ20 View Post
    If by chance there are any Evinrude mechanics out there in fishn.com world. What would cause my Z20 to take so long to get on plane? When I 1st bought the boat it was like a bullet coming out of the water. Now 5 years later it seems to take forever to get on plane. I have the 225 Etec HO. Thanks. much Marty
    i am not a boat mechanic, but, does the motor just not seem to power up as quick now and has your top end speed changed from new. any changes to the jack plate or prop? proper maintence such as fuel filter change spark plugs, also some of the gasoline now has a tendancy to break down the inner lining of older fuel line hoses. disconnect at your primer bulb and inspect the fuel line for stuff that looks like (chipped off clear coat) as best i can describe it. this was a major issue that has been seen the past two years. if those are not the problem, i would post on bbc in the evinrude section. but a quick way to tell if its a fuel line issue is to get the correct inside diameter hole fuel line (about 5 ft) from autozone ect. and take a 5 gallon plastic gas can and a friend to the lake. take the motor cover off and connect one end of the new hose to the fuel housing have a friend hold the other end in the gas can, let it idle for afew minutes to clear and warm then see if the hole shot changes. if it does then i would change out all my fuel line and filter. hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

This might be a long shot but, how much more gear are you hauling around compared to 5 years ago?? It's funny how all that stuff adds weight and weight slows you down.....by the way, Lynns Westside Marine in Evansville has an exellent E-Tec mechanic.....

Post Thanks / Like

BRL and Don,

Thanks for the insights. As for the mentioned possiblities. NOt hauling around any more gear than when I first purchased boat, actually probably less. I will check the gas line and see if that could be an issue. Just had new plugs, fuel filter and 1 injector replaced about 4 months ago. No changes made to prop, jack plate. thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you checked your pad?

Post Thanks / Like

My "MAXI" is fine(lol) THANKS FOR ASKING

Post Thanks / Like

I just know when some wax a boat they will wax the pad and that is not a good thing.

Post Thanks / Like

is the top speed the same?may be a throttle position sensor,throttle adjustment,etc..not opening to wot.does not take much to slow down hole shot but would still run close on top end.

Post Thanks / Like

could just be a plastic clip on the trotle linkage they do brake alot..

Post Thanks / Like

Try posting your question on this site, alot of good help for e-tecs

http://www.etecownersgroup.com/?forum=115573&trail=25

Post Thanks / Like

Does your bow raise up/stay up more than it did before? If so, you can adjust the trim stop back a touch so the motor trims down a little more. This will help lift your back end more which will push your front end down quicker.

onemorecast56 Guest

well this MIGHT be the proplem. Your motor may be just fine. Has your boat been in the rain alot,,or sat out side and go rained on,,the floatation may be getting water logged due to water in the boat. I`ve removed alot of water logged floatation out of boat and that stuff is heavy! Your boat may have picked up another 4-500 lbs of water. My old ranger with a 200 on it,,was slow coming out due to water weight. The floatation will NEVER dry out, there is no air that gets to it,,thats way i do alot of floor repairs,,water sits there and rots the wood...but just try dropping a pitch on the prop,,that will help bring the rpm`s up fast and out of the hole quicker,,it helps with the extra weight