Search Fishin.com

Thread: carrot stick

Post Thanks / Like

carrot stick

anyone here use the carrot stick rods, if so how do you all like them?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: carrot stick

I have never used one, but have heard from others that their QC is spotty. YOu run a 50/50 chance of getting a bum rod and their customer service is not good... but agaion all second hand knowledge as they are out of my price range...

Post Thanks / Like

I have one of the older Carrot Sticks in a 6-6 MH and love it. I got a LEWS reel on it and it is so light and very sensitive. I hear that they will break easy but I have not found a way to break it yet. But heck if I do break it, I just trade it in on a new one. More then likely my next rod will be another Carrot Stick. I bought a Cumra and a Carrot Stick at the same time, and I will pick up the Carrot Stick first everytime. But that is just me.

Billy

Post Thanks / Like

carrot stick is 6/7 out of 10, 10 being best. in my experience. but for the price i would buy a kistler hands down. sensitivity is alot better on the kistler and the guides are better on a kistler and dont get caught on the tip end guide like they do on a carrot stick.

Post Thanks / Like

Got 4 and questions about customer service is all about where you buy them from, I broke one this spring trying to muscle what was estimated to be an 8lb bass (no rod that is designed for that sensitivity could have handled what I was up against) I took it to the place where I bought it and they handed me a new one - done no questions asked. This spring I raised my trolling motor and the stabalizer bar sat down on the butt of my carrot stix spinning rod and cracked it - replaced - done!!!

I like you inquired about these rods and I am so happy someone (Col Forbin) pointed me in that direction because these rods are good, in fact ANYONE who uses my spinning rod for shakey heads wants one (7'2" drop shot extra heavy fast tip, with a shimano symetre FJ2500 reel, with 10lb seaguar invisx fluro) I know 4 people who have bought this set up because of using mine.

Customer service is key, in fact the last guy who bought this set up was at the Cabin in Kuttawa and I told him to specifically ask about their return policy on the rods they responded "bring it in and we'll give you another one, that's the warranty that we uphold"

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent rods, but if youre willing to pay the carrot stik price, try other rods in that range with a more positive feedback on customer service. If I cant swap it at the counter when I break it I'd just as soon not have it.

Post Thanks / Like

The older carrot sticks were prone to breakage. Very light and sensitive with cheaper components. The reel seat is said to reduce weight but it it actually weighs more than a fugi ECS blank exposed reel seat just as an example. Earlier this year E21 hired a man to figure out their breakage problems and he has done just that. The new carrot sticks that are being manufactured now have an outstanding blank on them. Still the same very cheap components but the blanks are made great now. Personally I can't stand the actions and I hate the color so much I can't explain it lol. If I didn't build rods I would be using Shimano crucial's personally. You can't beat them for the money, which is pretty comparable to the carrot sticks. Nice blank with very nice components.

Post Thanks / Like

have you seen the colors of some of the rods out now? Boyd Duckett's - White, Citrus Stick - lime green, Wright and Magill - yellow, I don't think the orange is all that bad especially the new ones they almost turn metallic red in the sun

Post Thanks / Like

I love mine. IMO the gold carrot stix are worth the extra $50. I have had one break, just a few weeks ago, took it back to where I got it and got a new one. I know this is no longer required - but the cabin has always been good to me.

I love the action on it. I have tried a ton of rods on a carolian rig, but I have found few rods that I like as well for this as the 7'6 H carrot stix. It is light so I can drag a rig all day long. It is extremely sensitive and I can feel the slightest bite. It is limber enough to keep the hook in, and has enough backbone to pull up 7-8 pounders (not that I get to test that too often). I can do almost a 180 on a swing hook set, and the tip of the rod will still be pointing at the fish. It is probably my most used rod.

I also have one of the gold series for finesse jigs. I love this rod too. I have a few GLX's that I personally prefer more, but not by much.

Post Thanks / Like

I have 2 and love them but I also have a buddy I fish with that broke one last year into 3 pieces on a fish that weighed less than a pound and it was a Flipping Stick. But in 40 years of fishing I think I have broken one of everybodys rods. GET THE NET!!!