Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Question Clicking sound when starting my outboard???

I was out on the lake the other evening, and when I tried to fire up the outboard, all I got was a clicking noise. Well, I trolled back to the marina, and got home....took a look inside the engine and found the cable from my solenoid to the engine had come loose, so I tightened it up. I also bought new cable, cause my old cable was in bad shape. I bought 2 gage cable, not knowing for sure what gage to buy for a boat. I hooked it all up, and the engine fired up GREAT!!! Thought I had it fixed, so I went to the lake again...worked great all day, went to leave again...and nothing but clicking. Checked all my connections...they were all TIGHT!!! Don't know what the deal is now? Did me using 2 gage cable fry the solenoid??? Is that too heavy of a gage? Sounds like the solenoid must be bad....but I don't know much about outboards. Hoping for some advice, thanks guys!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Clicking sound when starting my outboard???

Quote Originally Posted by RICHYD4U View Post
    I was out on the lake the other evening, and when I tried to fire up the outboard, all I got was a clicking noise. Well, I trolled back to the marina, and got home....took a look inside the engine and found the cable from my solenoid to the engine had come loose, so I tightened it up. I also bought new cable, cause my old cable was in bad shape. I bought 2 gage cable, not knowing for sure what gage to buy for a boat. I hooked it all up, and the engine fired up GREAT!!! Thought I had it fixed, so I went to the lake again...worked great all day, went to leave again...and nothing but clicking. Checked all my connections...they were all TIGHT!!! Don't know what the deal is now? Did me using 2 gage cable fry the solenoid??? Is that too heavy of a gage? Sounds like the solenoid must be bad....but I don't know much about outboards. Hoping for some advice, thanks guys!

-Rich
    Clicking when starting is usually one of two things. A low battery will also cause clicking. I would test the battery with a load tester. Replace the selonoid if battery checks out. The #2 wire is extremely heavy, but I don't think that would cause any problem. The voltage through the wire should be fused or have breaker protection anyway. Could be the selonoid getting hot and failing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kydonky View Post
    Clicking when starting is usually one of two things. A low battery will also cause clicking. I would test the battery with a load tester. Replace the selonoid if battery checks out. The #2 wire is extremely heavy, but I don't think that would cause any problem. The voltage through the wire should be fused or have breaker protection anyway. Could be the selonoid getting hot and failing.
    Thankyou for the response. I know the battery is good...brand new and fully charged....still clicks. I thought the #2 wire might be a little heavy. I might drop back to #6. I ordered a new solenoid the other day, hopefully that will fix things. Thanks again.

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kydonky View Post
    The #2 wire is extremely heavy, but I don't think that would cause any problem. The voltage through the wire should be fused or have breaker protection anyway. Could be the selonoid getting hot and failing.
    pay no attention to all of that...you cant put too big of wire on it...lol. wont hurt a thing. and no there should be no fuse. it goes straight to the battery.jump the solenoid with a screwdriver. if it cranks,its bad.if it doesnt, check all connections from battery to starter,and try another battery.since its clicking,the trigger wire is working and the solenoid is probably shot internally.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Embrey View Post
    pay no attention to all of that...you cant put too big of wire on it...lol. wont hurt a thing. and no there should be no fuse. it goes straight to the battery.jump the solenoid with a screwdriver. if it cranks,its bad.if it doesnt, check all connections from battery to starter,and try another battery.since its clicking,the trigger wire is working and the solenoid is probably shot internally.
    I didn't think there was a fuse there, but I was worried about the #2 wire being too much....glad to hear that you don't think so. My new solenoid should show up today or tomorrow, will know for sure then. Thanks for the help.

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Well....new solenoid did not fix the problem. I had to take my boat in to get professional help. Hope it doesn't cost me an arm & a leg.

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

It'll cost you an arm, leg and left nut. AHAHAHAA

Good luck to you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by avidbasser View Post
    It'll cost you an arm, leg and left nut. AHAHAHAA

Good luck to you.
    Oh no...not my left nut....that's my good one! Thanks.

-Rich

HURRICANEBOB Guest

I thought your good one was your "PROP" nut :-)

Post Thanks / Like

wow, this should have been really simple to find the problem

Post Thanks / Like

bad battery, right?