Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fly Fishing for Beginner

sounds like you had a good time. when you cast think 10:30, 1:30 when you false cast that should keep your backcast up and give you more distance

Post Thanks / Like

i think my biggest problems are:

being lazy on teh back cast then whippin the front cast
    not accelerating to a stop as much as whippin like a baitcaster
    and my wrist starts flexing which makes for open loops

these are the ones i cuaght watching a video on youtube that seemed to describe my problem areas...

do you guys know anyone in louisville i can pay to teach me the cast properly?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by walkeraviator View Post
    i think my biggest problems are:

being lazy on teh back cast then whippin the front cast
    not accelerating to a stop as much as whippin like a baitcaster
    and my wrist starts flexing which makes for open loops

these are the ones i cuaght watching a video on youtube that seemed to describe my problem areas...

do you guys know anyone in louisville i can pay to teach me the cast properly?
    The local TU chapters have casting clinics from time to time. But sounds like you have got a good start on learning the proper way to cast. Try casting out to the side. Sidearm , where you can watch your loop better. And do not expect too much distance to start with. And BTW, most fish are caught within 30' My stops I always shoot for 10:00 and 2:00

You probably have a Mid - Flex / Slow action rod. Cast a tip flex / Fast action rod sometime.( Usually not recommended for the beginner. ) You should be able to cast further with one.

Post Thanks / Like

First of all, congratulations on your new hobby and first fish. Here in the Louisville area, check out the Derby City Fly Fishers at www.derbycityflyfishers.com. They have monthly meetings which often involve casting and teaching. Usually, some of the experienced guys will give short lessons to anyone who wants one. Also, JCPS Adult Education has a beginning fly fishing class taught by Gerry McDaniel a member of DCFF who holds a line-class record for stripers on a fly. I just took the class this spring and learned a ton. The class probably won't be offered again until the fall, but you can go to JCPSKY.net and click on "community" then Adult Ed for their current schedule. I've only been fly fishing for about a year. most I've caught have been bluegills, but I've landed a bunch of bass (up to 3lbs) on those cheap bluegill poppers. for starters, I'd get small poppers and size 8 wooly buggers for bluegills, then some bigger wooly buggers for bass. I don't use a strike indicator in the slack water we have around Louisville. As far as trout flies, I'll defer to the previous posts.

Post Thanks / Like

Aside from actually learning how to cast, what type of flies do you guys use in Ky at which time sof year etc. I may buy a cheap beginner rod/reel kit and was wondering what type of fly kit i should look into...
    Gerry McDaniel gives a fly fishing for beginners class at Bass Pro Shops, Clarksville. The classes are held each month on a Saturday from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM. The next class will be the Saturday in Sept. after the Labor Day weekend. (he is skipping August) Check the Bass Pro website or call the store for details.

Post Thanks / Like

I actually just disovered that class yesterday. But cant find a price...

Post Thanks / Like

If you're looking for a great teacher, call Kim Smith. He's a FFF certified caster and current education director of Derby City Fly Fishers. You can email him at Kim@derbycityflyfishers.com or call (812) 620-0-eight-54.

Post Thanks / Like

I actually just disovered that class yesterday. But cant find a price...
    The class at Bass Pro Shop is free. Also, Derby City Fly Fishers will be holding their July meeting at Long Run Park tomorrow. (July 21 at 6:30 PM) (check their web site) You will be able to find someone there who can give you basic instruction. You will also meet a great group of people.
    Last edited by flyguy; 07-20-2010 at 07:29 AM.