Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Fly Fishing for Beginner

Aside from actually learning how to cast, what type of flies do you guys use in Ky at which time sof year etc. I may buy a cheap beginner rod/reel kit and was wondering what type of fly kit i should look into...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fly Fishing for Beginner

Quote Originally Posted by walkeraviator View Post
    Aside from actually learning how to cast, what type of flies do you guys use in Ky at which time sof year etc. I may buy a cheap beginner rod/reel kit and was wondering what type of fly kit i should look into...
    Get that gear together, along with some black and white woolly buggers and come to the Fly Fishing outing on the 16th--. I'm sure the guys attending will be able to get you off to a good start .

Post Thanks / Like

Wont have the rod by then... I am gonna use some of my credit card rewards points to get a Pflueger beginner rod. Its an 8ft 5/6 weight rod (all of which is greek to me) but will take a while to get here..

Post Thanks / Like

Money flies for trout, no matter where you are in the country, include:

bead head pheasant tail
    bead head hares ear
    bead head copper john
    bead head zebra midge
    bead head buggers (brwn, olive, black, maroon)

There are some more, but with those few, you will catch trout no matter where you go. Doesn't matter what time of year either, they will work. Use a strike indicator varied to the depth of the water you are fishing....make sure your flies are bumping the bottom. Use splitshot 6" up from your first fly, enough to get you to "bump the bottom". Tie a second fly 12" down from your first, right off of your first flies hook bend. That simple set-up will catch you fish all day long. If you are fishing buggers, just tie one on and cast it out there.....vary your retrieve, the fish will let you know what they are liking that day. Could go on and on, but this simple info will get you on fish QUICK!!! Good luck!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RICHYD4U View Post
    Money flies for trout, no matter where you are in the country, include:

bead head pheasant tail
    bead head hares ear
    bead head copper john
    bead head zebra midge
    bead head buggers (brwn, olive, black, maroon)

There are some more, but with those few, you will catch trout no matter where you go. Doesn't matter what time of year either, they will work. Use a strike indicator varied to the depth of the water you are fishing....make sure your flies are bumping the bottom. Use splitshot 6" up from your first fly, enough to get you to "bump the bottom". Tie a second fly 12" down from your first, right off of your first flies hook bend. That simple set-up will catch you fish all day long. If you are fishing buggers, just tie one on and cast it out there.....vary your retrieve, the fish will let you know what they are liking that day. Could go on and on, but this simple info will get you on fish QUICK!!! Good luck!

-Rich
    I agree with Brother Rich ! And the Pflueger is a good rod to start with. And could last you a lifetime. I have one that I still like to use.

Add a prince Nymph (BH) of course to the list ! another mainstay ! And the zebra midge comes in all colors. Get a black one with a nickel head and rib. Always does well on the CR! Olive would be second choice. In size # 18. And copper john in copper and red ! And get yourself a spool of 5X tippet.

Cast across river and up. Letting indicator drift down in front of you, And then down below to your right. Sometimes they nail it on the swing or right after. Learn to mend your line, And you can feed more line out below each time to target more water. Watch your indicator. And have fun!

Post Thanks / Like

OK, so what about fly fishing for largemouth on small lakes, or smallies in the river? I was at a local lake here in louisville yesterday, watching fish (i assume trout as the lake is stocked with em) bust the surface all morning. Is this when a dry fly is handy? What about small poppers for gettin bass?

I see this becoming my new obsession...

Post Thanks / Like

which strike indicator do you guys prefer?

Post Thanks / Like

I wish I was still living in the ville, otter creek is supposedly going to reopen to the public. Cherokee and several FINS lakes in the metro area are stocked with bows.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Deaddrift84 View Post
    I wish I was still living in the ville, otter creek is supposedly going to reopen to the public. Cherokee and several FINS lakes in the metro area are stocked with bows.
    Is fly the best way to get these fish in no-current resevoirs? Or is teh old corn on a hook method better?

Post Thanks / Like

So I got my Pflueger Beginers rig yesterday. Taught myself a nail knot and it came out pretty well. i wasnt ready for how thin the small end of te tapered leader is... i tied on one of the super cheapo flies that came in the kit and steppd out and began casting in the driveway. I got a pretty good false cast going, but when i go to let the fly settle it comes up way short of where i was hoping. I have already figured out how to let line through my left hand as i am false casting to get more line out... and practiced some roll casting... this isnt as hard as i thought it would be... now i just wish i had someone who could critique me as i cast cuz i am sure i am doin something wrong...

and the cheapo fly didnt last 10 casts... started coming apart... so i went and bought some slightly better but stil cheapo betts flies at walmart...

Post Thanks / Like

So I got my Pflueger Beginers rig yesterday. Taught myself a nail knot and it came out pretty well. i wasnt ready for how thin the small end of te tapered leader is... i tied on one of the super cheapo flies that came in the kit and steppd out and began casting in the driveway. I got a pretty good false cast going, but when i go to let the fly settle it comes up way short of where i was hoping. I have already figured out how to let line through my left hand as i am false casting to get more line out... and practiced some roll casting... this isnt as hard as i thought it would be... now i just wish i had someone who could critique me as i cast cuz i am sure i am doin something wrong...

and the cheapo fly didnt last 10 casts... started coming apart... so i went and bought some slightly better but stil cheapo betts flies at walmart...
    Ask Boone for a copy of the DVD I loaned him. It will help get you started out right.

Post Thanks / Like

Went to McNealy lake and gave the fly thing a try today. Lastnight I watched VERy informative videos about casting and put it to use today. I know i am still doing something wrong as i was out there for an hour and have a blister on my casting thumb. I keep hitting the water behind me on the back cast as well.

BUt I did finally figure out how toget teh foy out where i want it but 20-30 ft is about the end of my range... luckily a small patch of cover was nearby to cast to... so i caught my first fly fish... 2 bluegill on a betts bream madness, and one on what was left of a popper after i had casted so bad that the cork was busted off and it became a sinkin fly... fightin even a small gill is fun on this thing...

I did learn the hard way that i need a hemostat as i lost a fly to the tiny mouth of the bluegill...