Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

UT Trip next week...

I have been on the horn all week with my brother and dad....looks like we are going to hit Big sandy reservior, then the mighty Duchesne River, then off to the White River and finish off at the Provo River. CAN'T WAIT!!! My office is littered with fly tying material right now, lol! Tying like a madman!!! I hope to sneak out and do some FFin on the Weber River and the Ogden River as well. I'll give a full report when I get back home. You all have a fun and safe get together on the CR. Take care.

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Re: UT Trip next week...

Quote Originally Posted by RICHYD4U View Post
    I have been on the horn all week with my brother and dad....looks like we are going to hit Big sandy reservior, then the mighty Duchesne River, then off to the White River and finish off at the Provo River. CAN'T WAIT!!! My office is littered with fly tying material right now, lol! Tying like a madman!!! I hope to sneak out and do some FFin on the Weber River and the Ogden River as well. I'll give a full report when I get back home. You all have a fun and safe get together on the CR. Take care.

-Rich
    You All be safe and have fun ! And take some pics when you can !

Post Thanks / Like

-Rich
    From the sound of it, you might be just a BIT EXCITED! Well, that's to be expected...getting back to some to those great streams of your youth. Have a great time and hope you get to Release a Bunch.

Boone on the Cumberland.

Post Thanks / Like

Question Re: UT Trip next week...

Hey Rich !

You Back ? How did the trip go ???

Post Thanks / Like

I am back....but still feeling the jet lag from a terrible flying experience that ended up with us getting home at 2:30am this morning! We had a lay over in Denver, and the weather was terrible, causing us an hour and a half delay while sitting in the plane....ugggh! Anyways.....the fishing was great! Unfortunately, I learned a tough lesson on the second to last day of our trip.....don't trust my friend with my camera! That's right.....he dropped it in the drink....RUINED! The best part was, he was supposed to be taking a picture of the 21" brown I had resting in my hands from the Provo River. He felt so bad that he reinbursed me the money for the camera....of course, I wouldn't take the full amount since it was an honest mistake. The cobble stone streams in UT are unforgiving, and we both took a couple dunks over the week and a half! Anyways, you guys must forgive me for the lack of photographical evidence....
    The first trip we took was to the upper reaches of the Provo River, above Deer Creek Reservior. The river flows were still a little higher than normal due to an unusually wet spring UT had this year. However, the water clarity was still great and we netted some nice fish.....including an 18" bow, a 17" brown, and some nice cutts. We then went over to the upper Weber River in a town called Wanship, UT....the water was a little more colored up there, but the fish were HUNGRY!!! Landed several nice bows, all exceeding 15", biggest bow hit my bh hares ear under a bridge and went straight airborne, spitting out my fly! The thing was huge! I got to see all of it as it jumped a good two feet out of the water! We also netted some nice browns and some big old white fish!
    The second trip was with my dad....we went up to the high Uinta mountain chain in northeastern UT. We packed in a few miles starting at the Trail Lake trailhead, and hit every little pond and lake on the way up. Every little waterway held brookies, it was a blast! I was throwing a #14 Ausable Wulff with a #18 bh pheasent tail as a dropper......they were killing both! Biggest brookie was around 16" with the most beautiful colors (which you all would have seen if I still had my camera! ). We fished at Trail lake for awhile on the way back and caught a bunch of tiger trout, albinos, and bows. I had forgotten how weird albino trout really are, lol! With their red eyes..... They are so easy to catch...you can spot them 20 yds out...just make a cast and they hit it! They don't put up much of a fight though...must be all that genetic mutation! lol!
    Third trip was the trip with my high school buddy, the same one that dropped my camera in the drink. We went back to the Provo, but fished the middle section in the Provo Canyon. I was determined to land a 20"+ fish, and that would happen. We had netted several browns that day, all around 15"+, but none over 20". We came to one deep hole that I knew very well.......I had caughten several 20"+ browns out of that hole over the years, including a 27" brown back in 1996. It didn't take long until I hooked up with a sizable fish. She took me down stream, not allowing me a chance to ever see her until she finally surrendered to my net. She was a beautiful 21" brown. The rest of the story is foretold.....my $300 camera went for a swim, along with my buddy. None the less, it was a great trip with lots of FFin action. Felt good to be back on my home waters and fish familiar holes and riffles.

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: UT Trip next week...

Sounds like a GREAT trip !!! Thanks for the report !

Post Thanks / Like

Other than a ruined camera....it was a good trip!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Other than a ruined camera....it was a good trip!

-Rich
    You need you a drink proof camera !!! Or a waterproof cell phone would work also ! Anyway , Sorry to hear about the camera