Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Fishing in Northern KY?

I recently moved to NKY last summer and have really gotten into fishing this summer. We have this neighborhood lake here in Richwood, and I have taken full advantage of it. But now I am interested in looking for other places to fish in this region. Big Bone Lick State Park is nearby and I am thinking about fishing there. Has anyone ever fished there? Is it any good? What other lakes in NKY do you all recommend? I realize that NKY does not have as good of lakes as some other parts of KY like southern and western KY though. Also, is there any good fishing spots on the Ohio River where I can fish on the bank?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fishing in Northern KY?

Go to the boat ramp by Big Bone State park. There is access for fishing there as well as the the Big Bone Creek which runs through the park. There are several small lakes to fish: Boltz Lake, Bullock Pen Lake, Kincaid Lake, Williamstown Lake, AJ Jolly Lake, Licking River, Gunpowder Creek, and Eagle Creek. They are all fair to good. This time of the year, fair at its best. What are you fishing for???
    Good luck,
    Bassky

Post Thanks / Like

^ Bass, bluegill, and Crappie. Either one of those really. While I fish I switch my type of bait to go after a variety of fish. And thanks with the list of lakes.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I fished at Big Bone Lick today. You are right about fair at best. I was out there for maybe an hour and a half and caught 2 bass using artificial worms Texas Rig style (only one was a keeper). I didn't see any of the other anglers out there catch anything. I did take that one bass home with me to eat. I was assuming I was allowed to take fish home from Big Bone Lake? I did not see any signs and had heard about someone taking bluegill home from there. What about these other lakes listed above by Bassky? Any regulations about taking fish home? I was thinking about that AJ Jolly Lake next. Saw a thread about it and sounds pretty good. Is it?
    Last edited by KYbrian32; 07-19-2010 at 08:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Aj Jolly is fair at best. Lots of bank access. You will have to pay for a pass for the day, $7. Or you can fish around the boat ramp and to the right or left of it, park there and not pay the $7. 200 acre lake, unlimited HP, but no wake through out the whole lake. There are crappie, bluegill, bass, whitebass, channel cat, bluecat and shovelhead in the lake. No cost to put in your boat. I live about 15 minutes away and fish it regularly.
    Bassky

Post Thanks / Like

All sounds good except for the paid day pass. I will have to check it out. Thanks!