Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Catfishing in Creeks

I read an article today saying that the best place to catch summertime cats is in creeks. The stream drags the scent and the waters cooler( Even though cats are more active in warm). I was wondering if anybody catfishes any creeks and how do you do so? I have never done it but there is a creek near my home and i HAVE caught a mudcat out of it before. Please help thanks---kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Catfishing in Creeks

My favorite creek catfish method is to use cut bait. Catch a couple bluegill (out of a farm pond if you need to) and cut 1" square sections out of the flesh. Avoid the fins. Put them on a 2/0 to 4/0 circle hook under an unpegged bullet sinker. Faster the current, bigger the sinker.

There's lots of other ways to rig for catfish, that's my favorite way though.

Post Thanks / Like

I caught a 12 lb cat out of a creek years ago. I was fishing one of the deepest holes in the creek using a shiner. Bobber kept going down and i would set the hook and nothing there. After 3 misses next time i waited 5 seconds after the bobber went down and caught it. In the summer in creeks look for the deepest areas of the creek for cats. Good luck,jc

Post Thanks / Like

I dont know how deep the creek is at my place, but i know that theres cats. I have caught bass out of it and a mud cat. I might try the method you do. But what about a stink bait. The article said those were good for the scent being carried with the current. ( also it said cut bait.)
    Thanks for the info.

Post Thanks / Like

Whenever I fish the Elkhorn, I bring some catfish bait. When we stop to stretch our legs, I'll throw out a line and usually catch 1 or 2 nice ones. You just have to find the deep holes. There will be catfish there.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey know1, what part of Elkhorn do you fish for cats?

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes the quality of creek cats can be poor certain times of the year due to run off of plant fertilizers and pesticides if close to large farms. The high amount of nitrigen will remove there slime and leave them open to parisites. I have also caught several with some kind of intestinal problems mainly channel that are very long but very skinny. If your going to eat them check them out real good...Chuck

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks chuck, i got to ask you something. My neibor fishes the ohio river alot and said he knows you. He also said he fishes with your uncle or something of that sort.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kfed5 View Post
    Thanks chuck, i got to ask you something. My neibor fishes the ohio river alot and said he knows you. He also said he fishes with your uncle or something of that sort.
    Does he fish the Falls or the westport area?? I meet ALOT of people mainly at the Falls.Westport I drop the boat in and hide..LOL

Post Thanks / Like

I have no idea. but i could find out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat12 View Post
    Does he fish the Falls or the westport area?? I meet ALOT of people mainly at the Falls.Westport I drop the boat in and hide..LOL

Acually i would BET all my money, in westport. Because he has never talked about fishing the falls or anything.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't believe everything you read. There will always be some cats in the creeks - especially channels and maybe some flat heads BUT there will always be MORE and BIGGER cats in the river. The mouths of the larger creeks can be great fishing in the summer but I'm almost always still fishing the actual river and not the creek.

Nothin' wrong with dunkin' some stink bait for some fast channel cat action though and if you have creek access near your house give it a try.