Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Smallmouth Jigs on Lake Cumberland?

Thinking I'll pull an all-night-er on Tuesday hoping jigs on the West end of LC (If I can stay awake). Anyone want to share their thoughts on jig type, weight, color and trailers? This old man can always use a little HELP!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Smallmouth Jigs on Lake Cumberland?

yeah... there are tehse jigs that are 6 inches long and red... you take a lighter and set fire to the stem then just chunck it... oh and duck...

lol jk... i watched a video about this not too long ago... deep/clear water... green pumpkin, cumberland craw, and brown... in otherwords natural colors...

Post Thanks / Like

Hoping to get some input from guys who have night fished LC lately...come guys, give it up...

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Boone, give me a call and I will tell you what I know from how I fished Cumberland at night in the past. It is not recent, mind you, but the same areas and jigs that I use will still work.

Post Thanks / Like

No big secrets on how to catch smallmouth at Cumberland at night. Jigs in dark colors with low light or no moon. Lighter colors will get you bit with the dark ones in lighter with moon periods. Cumberland Craw is always good on that lake. If conditions are right throw that big thumper hammered blade spinnerbait at night in dark colors. Let it drop and rip it up back to the boat and hang on. Sometimes just a slow steady retrieve will work best. Also an overlooked bait at night on that lake is a crankbait, On that one I'm not gonna tell you the color, experiment yourself but I can tell you this it's not black. New moon periods will be the best, but sometimes when the crawfish are spawning and up shallow the moonlit nights can be good especially on the banks with dark shade on them.

Good luck Gary.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mhall View Post
    No big secrets on how to catch smallmouth at Cumberland at night. Jigs in dark colors with low light or no moon. Lighter colors will get you bit with the dark ones in lighter with moon periods. Cumberland Craw is always good on that lake. If conditions are right throw that big thumper hammered blade spinnerbait at night in dark colors. Let it drop and rip it up back to the boat and hang on. Sometimes just a slow steady retrieve will work best. Also an overlooked bait at night on that lake is a crankbait, On that one I'm not gonna tell you the color, experiment yourself but I can tell you this it's not black. New moon periods will be the best, but sometimes when the crawfish are spawning and up shallow the moonlit nights can be good especially on the banks with dark shade on them.

Good luck Gary.
    Thanks Mark,
    Now, just hope I can ..stay awake....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boone View Post
    Thanks Mark,
    Now, just hope I can ..stay awake....
    Man do I ever know what you mean. It is tough to stay awake at night fishing, especially if things get slow. My ole head gets to bobbing pretty good, lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mhall View Post
    Man do I ever know what you mean. It is tough to stay awake at night fishing, especially if things get slow. My ole head gets to bobbing pretty good, lol.
    I don't have much trouble, staying awake. but anymore when I fish all night, it takes me two or three days to recover from it. but God knows I love it.

Post Thanks / Like

Day or night, I never fish that lake without a shaky head tied on. Caught a bunch of fish on it at night before. Fish it shallow to as deep as you can until you find where they are biting.