Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

High School Bass Fishing "Team"

I read an article in the Courier Journal regarding KHSAA adding Bowling to their "sponsored" sports list. Within the article there was a mention of adding high school bass fishing to the list of KHSAA sponsored sports.

With that being said, does anybody know of a high school bass fishing team in the state of KY? I'm sure there's quite a few since KHSAA is considering adding bass fishing as a sport...being a teacher in Oldham County I would like to look into getting a team started.

Thanks - any input will be greatly appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: High School Bass Fishing "Team"

i think there is a team at grc in winchester

Post Thanks / Like

There are a few schools that I know..Covington Catholic High School has a team I do believe. But from what Im hearing...and could be off base with this...but these NCAA Collages and High schools...that claim to have a team...really arn't "backed" by the school. The schools' arn't giving a dime to the team...nor do they even recognize them as a school sport. Oh...Im sure there are schools that back the fishing team...but very few and very far between. It's not like the schools are going out there a buying three loaded bass boats for thier team...if they do...I'd sure like to hear about it!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Eddie Goode with Fishing For Kids has been working hard on this in a couple of areas, but keeps running into problems with the school system... we are all hoping to see this happen in the near future

Post Thanks / Like

I read something about this recently. If I remember correctly, each student had a sponsor. The "sponsor" was an adult with a bass boat. The boat owner would go out with the student during a tournament and act as the marshall if you will. They would sit back and watch the student fish, give tips, etc.

You might find out more and obtain good ideas by Googling "high school bass fishing teams."

Post Thanks / Like

Meade County has started a team, the whole process has been slow to start however with college fishing really coming on now I think high school fishing will catch on, the sad part is FLW/BASS both offer youth programs but both lack alot of participation, as many adults who fish you would think it would be packed with people giving their kids a chance to experience it.

more high school info:

http://www.highschoolfishing.org/

Post Thanks / Like

Here is just a few emails I copied and pasted to show you just some of the hurddles I have came across getting fishing in the high school level. I have been working on this since Oct 08. Eddie

It is state law and board policy that any student transported for any activity representing High Schools is to be transferred in a board approved vehicle (Boat) and driven by a board approved person.

Only exception to this rule is if a parent transports their own child, and only their child, to and from an event. If just one student of that group cannot make it to the event b/c of not having transportation then the district must provide transportation. How do we approve “bass boats” to use as a district vehicle .

· Drivers of boats?? Approved by ? boater certification courses are available by Dept. of Fish and Wildlife.

· We know in order to have sport sanctioned we need AD association to initiate.

· LIABILITY, INSURANCE…..

I have been asked to contact you concerning your request to address the board concerning the creation of a fishing club. We still need the following before the Tuesday Board meeting before you can present the board:

1. Who will sponsor?

2. Who will pay for the club?

3. Other funding issues: transportation to the fishing tournament or practice?

4. How do other local BOE’s cover the expense of the club or policies they have in place for the club? Not state associations but local boards of education.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been involved with coaching archery(nasp) for a few years and have seen this program grow, In the beginning they ran into the same type hurdles but have overcame them, I think fishing will progress also but needs a little direction to grow, We(KY) started the NASP program and now Ky in archery as a whole is a powerhouse in the US, after seeing it grow leaps and bounds(7000 kids in the national tourney with teams from as far as Alaska)
    the BOE is missing the boat by not embracing this early and getting a headstart.

Post Thanks / Like

In my oppion if an important board member has a kid that loved to fish I bet it would not take long to cut through all of the red tape. I feel that is what it is going to take before something like this will get started. Once one school can figure it out then I do think other will follow but it is going to be a tough road and there will always be some of those certified board of education idiots that will say fishing is not a sport.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: High School Bass Fishing "Team"

Pretty cool today is the final day of the "high school championship" and Ky has 2 kids in the final cut of 7, from Meade County........