Search Fishin.com

Thread: Froggin' rod

Post Thanks / Like

Froggin' rod

Thinking about buying a froggin rod. Weight is a huge factor, but then so is price. Any and all comments appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Froggin' rod

I'm sure there are many good rods on the market that serve this purpose. My favorite frog rod is a Shimano, 7', medium with fast action.

Not sure how much froggin' you do, but I'll offer a couple of unsolicited tips. Before setting the hook I count to 3 while taking up the slack. Resist the urge to set the hook immediately. Like rods, there are many good frogs on the market. I'm not convinced that fish care how pretty it is painted on the top. I've personally had success with the Spro midnight walker (black) which creates a good profile against the sky from beneath. If you throw a Spro I would suggest trimming a half inch to an inch off the legs and bending the hooks ever so slightly upward. When setting the hook the frog will pivot and the slight bending of the hooks will substantially increase your hookup rate.

Happy froggin'!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a couple vendetta's this year and I've thouroghly been impressed, but right now tacklewarehouse.com has carrot sticks on sale for $89.00 so if I had to buy another it would be a 7' MH X-Fast tip for frog throwing. I normally like a little shorter rod for the frog because it helps generate a faster hookset (for me), right now my frog rod is a 7' vendetta MH with 20# Braid, with a johnny Morris 10BB reel

Post Thanks / Like

I use the ambassador conlon 6'6" mh matched with the 4601 5.1:1 reel. I get mine at wally world for about $40 bucks each

Post Thanks / Like

Theres different kinds of frogging. If your fishing heavy vegetation and slop and just dragging the bait a flippin stick works good. If your fishing open water and need accurate casts then I would go with a 7ft mh rod. I use a GLX 7'2mh frog rod but if thats over your budget I would go with whatever 7mh shimano rod fits your budget.

Post Thanks / Like

I would say that any of the above mentioned rods would be great. I don't know how tall you are, but I would go with the longest rod you can in a MH fast action tip. The longer rod gives you more "umph" to keep the fish's head up and out of the grass. I would pair your favorite high speed (7.1.1) with this rod and hold on!!!!! I have a St. Croix Mojobass sloppin/frog rod and really like it....especially for $100!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Why would someone need a separate froggin rod instead of just using whatever rod you use for your plastics like TX rigs, Carolina rigs, etc., which for most folks is a 7ft+ MH or H with an extra fast tip? [Honestly, I'm not trying to second guess anyone with this question]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eddie_m View Post
    Why would someone need a separate froggin rod instead of just using whatever rod you use for your plastics like TX rigs, Carolina rigs, etc., which for most folks is a 7ft+ MH or H with an extra fast tip? [Honestly, I'm not trying to second guess anyone with this question]
    You don't. It's the new fad having rods matched to the type of fishing you are doing. The only specialty rod you would need, in my opinion, is a crankbait rod.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bassin bruce View Post
    You don't. It's the new fad having rods matched to the type of fishing you are doing. The only specialty rod you would need, in my opinion, is a crankbait rod.
    In defense of a separate frog rod, I keep a 7' fast action rod spooled with 17# test for this purpose. My other rods are spooled with 10#. Will 10# work? Sure. But it's convenient to have a rod setup for a special situation and my hunch is that most froggers also use heavier line than they would otherwise because of the abrasive cover and challenge of turning the fish before it buries itself in the slop. Is it a "new fad"? If 40 years of carrying a frog rod counts as a new fad, then I plead no contest.

Post Thanks / Like

i think that there is definitely a need for a specific frog rod.. maybe not so much for around here but especially if you go down south or north and fish hydrilla or grass mats.. i mean you can definitely use a rod that is also used for other things but a technique specific rod is a good way to fine tune your approach. sometimes i use 65lb braid and you cant hardly use that on a MH rod cause it will snap it. just my opinion that if you want to seriously fish a frog have a pretty much technique specific rod..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hershey102 View Post
    In defense of a separate frog rod, I keep a 7' fast action rod spooled with 17# test for this purpose. My other rods are spooled with 10#. Will 10# work? Sure. But it's convenient to have a rod setup for a special situation and my hunch is that most froggers also use heavier line than they would otherwise because of the abrasive cover and challenge of turning the fish before it buries itself in the slop. Is it a "new fad"? If 40 years of carrying a frog rod counts as a new fad, then I plead no contest.
    I don't use braided line for anything but frogs, I almost exclusively use flurocarbon and it does not work for a frog, so I don't keep a "special" rod just for frogging because the length and action are the same as other rods I have - it's because of the line and reel speed I keep a frogging set-up

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hershey102 View Post
    You misunderstood what I was saying. I have a rod just for frogging, but is it a frogging rod? No. I have a 7' loomis IMX MH with a fast tip. It could be used for many applications, not just frogging.