Search Fishin.com

Thread: Drum

Post Thanks / Like

Drum

The latest issue of Kentucky Afield has an article on Drum. I was just wondering if anyone else uses a fly rod for them. I catch them with some regularity at the Falls of the Ohio. They are a blast on a fly rod, give a good fight and, if they can get to the fast current, they will. If a larger one gets to the current, it'll take you for a walk. Best of all, it seems like they are always there and always ready to hit.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Drum

What kind of flies do you catch drum with? I've only ever caught them on accident while catfishing with night crawlers. I have an excellent spot to catch them on the licking in pendleton county and a new 8wt. I'm game.

Post Thanks / Like

I tie a wooly bugger type fly. Use a size 4 or 6 hook, weighted with lead wrap and a bead head so it'll get down fast. I only tie white and yellow and use estaz wrap. Essentially, it looks like a lead head jig.

At the falls I drop it where falling water hits flat water and let it drift a few feet then strip it in.

An 8 wt. will be good. I use a 7 and can't turn bigger ones when they hit the current. I get broke off/cut off a lot. The smaller ones come in pretty quick but the bigger ones are like tieing on to a car.

Post Thanks / Like

That whooly bugger on an elongated hook works well on the ohio ,flouresent oragne yellow hackle on bass,pink on stripers,and the white one almost anything.
    Oddly a shrimp fly with a bend in it works nicely on the stripers.
    I did however use an 8wgt,and lead core line.Below greenup and galipolis dams normally.
    Dahlburg diver got me a huge musky below galipolis dam.
    Always wanted to fish the falls just never made it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. I think I may go try those patterns/techniques this weekend on the licking.

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck Deaddrift.

I used to fish the Greenup dam a lot. Haven't fished it in 30 years but it was always a great place.

Thanks for the fly info, I'll have to try one for the hybrids/stripes.