Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Ohio river floaters

Ok, this is a question for you Ohio River fishermen. I went for a cruise yesterday down by West Point on the Ohio and stopped to fish down by a discharge. I was there no longer than an hour tops!!!! When I counted....let's see how I can put this lightly, 15 floating profilactics unrolled on the top of the water with forty feet of water between each one. I know this is a family web site and apologize if I raised eyebrows of the admins. Number 1) where does 15 of them come from marching up river almost one after another? Number 2) what's some of the craziest floaters you all have seen in a lake, be it the Ohio or some of our other resevoirs? It got almost comical when the third past by, but by the 10th I was disgusted.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ohio river floaters

There is a House of Ill repute on the river close to where you are describing. Perhaps this is fallout from that business. The weirdest thing I have seen while on the river was a pair of men's rubber boots float by upside down, close enough together to look like a person coming by totally inverted.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=mybentrod;423233]Ok, this is a question for you Ohio River fishermen. I went for a cruise yesterday down by West Point on the Ohio and stopped to fish down by a discharge.

Does the term "discharge" confuse you? The discharge might have been from a sewer outlet and thus the floaters.

Onemorecast56 has a "secret" spot he throws his castnet for bait. He was telling me the story of how a friend of his holds a castnet weight in his teeth when he throws. Once the friend saw the "floaters" he started retching and spitting and never put a weight from a cast net in his mouth again.

Post Thanks / Like

Were you upstream or downstream from the Salt River? Soldiers still use condoms to keep water out of their barrels... could be biproduct of training on Ft KNox...

Post Thanks / Like

On the Caney Fork river in TN one day the water was rising very fast. We heard a cow constantly mooing and found her calf had fallen down to the river level. Our guide, Fred McClintock, and I didn't even need to say a word, we pulled the boat over and went to get the calf. My buddy that was fishing with us decided he had to take his new shoes off and left them on the sand bar we tied off on. In the mean time, we got the calf up to its Mom and turned around to see his shoes floating downstream like he was still standing in them. Too funny.

HURRICANEBOB Guest

Naw, that was WWII during beach head ops and landings. No Training at Knox requires protecting "their Army weapons"......but on Firday nights at the NCO club other weapons may need safeguarding.

HURRICANEBOB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mybentrod View Post
    Number 1) where does 15 of them come from marching up river almost one after another?
    ANSWER: Well, I was a little busy between beers, and my buddy drank half of the 30 packNumber 2) what's some of the craziest floaters you all have seen in a lake, be it the Ohio or some of our other resevoirs? It got almost comical when the third past by, but by the 10th I was disgusted.
    Strangest floater? Fishing down by Leavenworth, 3 am in the morning about 7 years ago. Heard something thump my starboard pontoon in the dark near the bow. Grabbed the flashlight and looked over the side, just in time to see a Subaru grill ornament and part of a fender. Heard another thump on the lower unit, and saw a distrubance in the muddy water, and could just make out what looked like the bottom tread of a tire. To this day I don't know if it was a whole car, or just a grill and tire stuck to a wad of half sunk drift wood.