Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Best fly vest design...

I was curious as to what types of fly vests everyone uses. I used to use the over the neck, front chest pack with the around the waist belt. It was alright, but I didn't like how it constantly pulled down on my neck. When I was out in UT the other week, my big bro and I went into a FFin shop and I purchased a new fly vest....this one is the double-over the shoulder straps with packs on the front chest and back...then the belt around the stomach. I really like it......no more pulling down on my neck...plus I have a TON more storage than my other one. I thought about the "fanny pack" style vests, around the waist....but I frequently wade in over my waist and I figured it would get all my stuff wet all the time.......What kind do you all use?

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best fly vest design...

I use a over the shoulder old style vest ! That I loose stuff in all the time ! And the bottom gets wet when I get in anything over waist deep. And have a pretty handy magnet strap for my net in the center of my back.

Post Thanks / Like

I also use the "classic" style, and can't seem to find any thing big when I really need it I can't say it's my preference exactly but it works and it's what i can afford.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm very interested in getting one like you have now Rich. I'm still using one I have had since I was thirteen but the weight distribution kills me. Didn't fit for years then I lost some weight and it slid right back on. Pulls on my neck and shoulders if I'm out all day and I don't like it.

Post Thanks / Like

I grew up using the traditional "fly vest", and just dealt with it frequently dipping into the river and soaking everything I had in my bottom pockets....that was before the new vest came out. When I saw the newer style vests I bought the over the neck one to try it out. It kept my stuff higher on my chest...but really pulled down on my neck all the time...so I got the over-the-shoulder style. It's the bomb....I've been just wearing out around the house...lol! My wife looks at me with that "your retarded" look (maybe I should put some clothes on when I wear it? lol!), but I don't care! I love it! I hooked up all my attachments on it.....zip line with hemastats and clippers....line straightner....tippet dispenser...and my magnetic net connector on the back. I placed my net cord on a connector off my front right which gives me excellent net extension. I can't wait to use it!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RICHYD4U View Post
    I grew up using the traditional "fly vest", and just dealt with it frequently dipping into the river and soaking everything I had in my bottom pockets....that was before the new vest came out. When I saw the newer style vests I bought the over the neck one to try it out. It kept my stuff higher on my chest...but really pulled down on my neck all the time...so I got the over-the-shoulder style. It's the bomb....I've been just wearing out around the house...lol! My wife looks at me with that "your retarded" look (maybe I should put some clothes on when I wear it? lol!), but I don't care! I love it! I hooked up all my attachments on it.....zip line with hemastats and clippers....line straightner....tippet dispenser...and my magnetic net connector on the back. I placed my net cord on a connector off my front right which gives me excellent net extension. I can't wait to use it!

-Rich
    LOL, You ARE DEDICATED !!! Let us know how it works out !

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a short guy (5'10") and I have a Simms G3 vest. It's a standard vest, but it's cut a bit shorter than other vests. So when I'm in water to my waist, it's not in the water. To take it a step further I replaced all of my fly boxes with the waterproof C&F boxes. So now if I reach down to get a fish or something my boxes don't fill with water.

If I'm in the boat, I just wear a lanyard.