Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

battery charger question?

i have a bass pro on board battery charger its a 3 bank 5/5/5 and im out bout every weekend with my boat at nite time when i plug it up it seems that if there is any moisture in my compartment where my charger is it will kick my gfi breaker but if i leave my rear hatch open where my batterys are it wont kick the breaker i was wondering if anybody had any suggestions to what i could do to keep from kickin my breaker there is usually no water on my battery post or around them mabe sombody else has this problem can help

Post Thanks / Like

Re: battery charger question?

heres what you do....take out GFI breaker and throw in trash and put in regular one. they all ****. i put mine in my garage to pass inspection and then wired them back up regular. i couldnt even run a grinder in the shop if it rained outside...

Post Thanks / Like

First, even if the GFI didn't kick, I would leave the hatch open to allow gasses and heat to disipate. As to why it trips, my guess is that with leaving the hatch closed, the batteries heat up more which increases the ability of current flow. The added current flow is probably just enough to trip your breaker. All three going full bore are 15 amps. That may be the top end of your GFI.

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto on what Duayne said. I leave my hatch open when charging because of potential gasses.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks guys your knowledge is appreciated

Post Thanks / Like

your gfci ground fault circuit interupter is tripping probably because it's doing it's job. A hazrdous condition exists. There installed for a reason and 9 times out of 10 your equiptment is at faut. Moisture being a big cause. If it detects a miliamp defrence in the current flow it's suppose to trip. If the button trips you have fault. If the breaker trips you have an over load situation. Make sure your male end of charge has no moisture before plugging it in. Could be as simple as that. Takeing out a GFCI breaker or recepticale can casuse death or property loss. If that were to happen you would be at fault and liable for damages. GFCI's can and do get more sensitive with age. There are some very cheap ones as I've replaced many. Let them do there job you may have a hazordus situation and it's just protecting you.

Post Thanks / Like

junk