Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Barren NIght Fishing Report

HIt up Barren last night for Largemouth. Started out throwing deep cranks on points next to deep water. Hooked a small white basss on teh first cast and was painting a lot of suspended fish at 7-9 feet ( i assume they were hybrids or more whites)... but then ran out of daylight and my favorite spot was covered in catfishing noodles so i switched to deep/slow presentations and moved on.

At a new point I saw many fish in 20ft or less depth... any deeper and there was nothing. I did some lure switching and boat locating til i found a small pattern, but had very little time left to play it out.

Boat in 20 ft of water a long cast distance from gradual sloping rocky points(and adjacent banks) on teh main lake(or in our case on skaggs creek)... 7" Black Neon Yum Ribbontail Worm T-Rigged on 1/4 oz weight... that was all they would touch for me... had a few dinks and 2 really nice 3 pounders. They are agressive when they do hit.. no slight bite here... and they are not doen fightin in teh boat. Had one draw blodd with his teeth when i lipped him to remove the hook.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Barren NIght Fishing Report

You would have caught more fish, but you were pretty much "DOOMED" when you hooked a fish on your first cast. Thanks for the report.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I've heard that too, along with bananas in the boat, But not stupidsticious here, if catch one on the first cast all it means I'm one up on ya! lol

Post Thanks / Like

My brother and I fished it last night starting at about 1am until about 9am today. Had pretty non-stop action with my brother lippin quite a few more than me (the b%&^%&^%^&%^&%&^!!!!) but I am more of a fly guy and don't have the whiplash hookset down yet. All in all probably hooked up 30+ between us and largest ran about 6lbs and many more lost. They took about everything that was thrown... worms, cranks, spooks, spinners, craws & a stick of slim jim lol

love that lake

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah... i will say teh bite picked up after midnight... so i woudl venture a guess that getting out the way you did and fishing into daylight instead of fishing out the day and into teh night is a better idea...

this way they have a few hours of dark for teh water temp to decrease and the predators to move up and find all teh baitfish. Like I said... I saw more baitfish than i have ever seen, so there is a wealth of food out there. I also noticed that it was elle after 1 am before i started hearing topwater bait busting in teh darkness. since we left at 2:30 in teh morning, I am about 99% sure i missed out on teh really good fishin...

by the way... water temps on the surface ranged from 88-92...

Post Thanks / Like

lets see a pic

Post Thanks / Like

my dog ate the camera

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by walkeraviator View Post
    At a new point I saw many fish in 20ft or less depth... any deeper and there was nothing.

I doubt you would mark very many fish deeper than 20 feet. The lake stratifies and the thermocline is typically 15-17 feet.