Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Technical Support

My Internet provider provides FREE internet security, so I certainly am not complaining about the cost. For the most part, I have been pleased with the security but have had a few problems which were solved by the security service.

In the middle of July I got an email telling me to download the lastest Security Suite, which i did. Almost immediately I started having problems, so knowing I would have to spend some time on the telephone I waited for a open day and called them. I explained the problem and was told that a Technician would get back to me WITHIN FOUR HOURS. About two hours later, they called and took about an hour, supposedly fixing the problem.

However, I kept having the same problems,although not as frequently. When I had time I called back and was given the same procedure but this time I waited the full four hours and no Tech called. I called again and after another hour wait, a Tech called and again supposedly fixed the problems.

Again the problems weren't fixed and I called back again this morning. Same procedure, except this time a Teck called me within 30 minutes and again supposedly fixed the problem. That was at 9 O'clock this morning and so far no problems, so i hope they are finally corrected.

Because of the FREE PRICE, I really don;t want to change Security Providers, and they have fixed all prevsious problems so that is not the point of my writing this. I have had Tech Support from several different companies for several different products and I think the service I just described is in about the middle grounds of tech support SERVICE. Some I have had was considerably better and some was considerably worse.

I am not looking for, and don't want any specific companies or products mentioned, but I am wondering what other people think of the Technical Support you receive for the things you buy.

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Technical Support

I have a 50/50 track record with computers I have bought. My main problem with the laptop was getting the wireless card to work with my router so I called but I could not understand what the girl was saying. I asked nicely that I'm just not understanding her and even said I'm sorry but is someone else available?

The guy I got next had an attitude and talked even worse. Finally, I understood that he was gonna take my laptop over and all I had to do was watch. Hours later it worked.

Second laptop had an issue I called tech support...the girl was american and things went well.

My smart phone was jacked up and I called tech support...american dude fixed it right away. Actually it was my fault this time but he walked me through it.

In my line of work we have tech support for our assorted systems that we install and I always ask for a specific person first. People are different and some are better at things than others so if I find a good one I stick with him/her.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    My Internet provider provides FREE internet security, so I certainly am not complaining about the cost. For the most part, I have been pleased with the security but have had a few problems which were solved by the security service.

In the middle of July I got an email telling me to download the lastest Security Suite, which i did. Almost immediately I started having problems, so knowing I would have to spend some time on the telephone I waited for a open day and called them. I explained the problem and was told that a Technician would get back to me WITHIN FOUR HOURS. About two hours later, they called and took about an hour, supposedly fixing the problem.

However, I kept having the same problems,although not as frequently. When I had time I called back and was given the same procedure but this time I waited the full four hours and no Tech called. I called again and after another hour wait, a Tech called and again supposedly fixed the problems.

Again the problems weren't fixed and I called back again this morning. Same procedure, except this time a Teck called me within 30 minutes and again supposedly fixed the problem. That was at 9 O'clock this morning and so far no problems, so i hope they are finally corrected.

Because of the FREE PRICE, I really don;t want to change Security Providers, and they have fixed all prevsious problems so that is not the point of my writing this. I have had Tech Support from several different companies for several different products and I think the service I just described is in about the middle grounds of tech support SERVICE. Some I have had was considerably better and some was considerably worse.

I am not looking for, and don't want any specific companies or products mentioned, but I am wondering what other people think of the Technical Support you receive for the things you buy.

Grumpy
    That sounds about right.

The ability for technical people to get to root cause is a LOST ART.

Ask anyone in the field. I'm kinda old school, and feel I own a problem until it is FIXED.

Those ideas are long gone.

Later,

Geo

HURRICANEBOB Guest

I'd say you really did pretty well, in that they did call back.

Seems like the complexity of programs and all the different conflicts that can emerge as a result of each program updating independently of the others, is becoming more of a trend. When was the last time you had a Windows update cause things to be goofy for awhile until a couple days later a new update downloads and fixes the one you got before.

I would say in general:
    - Support for fishing equipment of all types (hardware): B+
    - Support for Computer hardware: B
    - Support for 1/2 of computer software: C
    - Support for the other half of software: F------- (Should be a grade below "F")

Freinds of mine that own those computers made by that "Fruit" company, say they'd rate hardware and software support at B to B+. But then again, my fruity friends are finatics, so they might be some what predjudice.