Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Fishing at the Falls

New to the board and not very experienced when it comes to fishing the river... I fish from the bank and any advice would be greatly appreciated as to tactics, sinkers, etc. Like to fish for catfish but always take another pole to mess around with. Thanks... I have seen a wealth of information already and I'm sure some will come this way. Happy Fishing everyone

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fishing at the Falls

As far as sinkers we used old spark plugs when fishing the Mississippi river during my time in New Orleans cheap. Tied on bottom of line hook couple feet up.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks I will keep that in mind!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by coombro View Post
    As far as sinkers we used old spark plugs when fishing the Mississippi river during my time in New Orleans cheap. Tied on bottom of line hook couple feet up.
    Old lugnuts, and similar, work well also. Used all the time as a kid when fishing below the Mauckport bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jb_beckham View Post
    New to the board and not very experienced when it comes to fishing the river... I fish from the bank and any advice would be greatly appreciated as to tactics, sinkers, etc. Like to fish for catfish but always take another pole to mess around with. Thanks... I have seen a wealth of information already and I'm sure some will come this way. Happy Fishing everyone
    Welcome to the board,I would allways pack a jig n grub combo white my favorite. Catch about anything there ..skipps,shad,mooneye, and bluegill now will get you some cats, look for moving water...good luck...Chuck

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks... sounds like i need to catch me some bait fish then go for the cats. Appreciate the advice

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks... sounds like i need to catch me some bait fish then go for the cats. Appreciate the advice
    Bingo!

Best way to fish the falls is to wear some shorts or swimming trunks, a pair of water shoes or something with enclosed toes (so you don't slice your toes on a rock), and wade around down there fishing the white water with a white grub. You'll catch about anything that swims...and that's the fun part! Sauger, drum, white bass, smallmouth...who knows!

The catfish guys usually set up to fish the big holes that have formed from high current flows dredging them out. Best thing to do is go down there, fish with the grub, and take notes of where the catfishermen are fishing for when they aren't there next time, or try and find something similar.

onemorecast56 Guest

well 1 day when it gets alittle cooler, if you want I`ll take you with me in my Champion and I`ll show you around up there,,maybe get a good one or 2,,,I`ve been having pretty good luck the last few times I`ve gone,,so many different ways to catch fish,,,