Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Confused on Nymping: Czech, Polish, Spanish and US High Sticking?

OK, been fishing less than I should, and reading TOOOO..much. But still confused?

Found tons of hits on "google",but still not sure what it's all about...Best I can get of of it all is "Dead Drift". Anypone have a clue? HewB, needs help.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Confused on Nymping: Czech, Polish, Spanish and US High Sticking?

Quote Originally Posted by Boone View Post
    OK, been fishing less than I should, and reading TOOOO..much. But still confused?

Found tons of hits on "google",but still not sure what it's all about...Best I can get of of it all is "Dead Drift". Anypone have a clue? HewB, needs help.
    "High sticking"...or "dead drifting" is a nymphing technique where you flip your nymph rig up stream and maintain your fly rod tip high in the air....so that you have nearly NO line in the water until you hit your strike indicator. You need to keep your drift close to you as to maintain this form. You merly follow your strike indicator down stream in this manner and it provides a drag-free, natural float. I high stick 90% of the time...the only time I don't is when I can't wade to where I want to cast...then I'll make a further cast to reach.

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Of course high sticking is the best way to maintain a drag-free float, but you can achieve it through careful mending. When you cast upstream make sure you do a hard mend upstream and get your flyline directly upstream of your float, running with the current. Then use a float with a stick and watch the position of the stick. If the stick is pointing upstream, you probably have a pretty good drift. If you see it turn, mend your line or drag your line back upstream until it points back upstream. Fish will often strike when you drag it back up, so be ready for a strike.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, good input for the NuBe, much appreciated. Helps me sort some things out. Now about that Bobber (SORRY should have read INDICATOR for the true blue FF), do you always use an INDICATOR when High Sticking, or just watch you line for an INDICATION?
    Last edited by FlyLie; 08-13-2010 at 05:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boone View Post
    Thanks guys, good input for the NuBe, much appreciated. Helps me sort some things out. Now about that Bobber (SORRY should have read INDICATOR for the true blue FF), do you always use an INDICATOR when High Sticking, or just watch you line for an INDICATION?
    You can do either. I have always used indicators....I just feel like I don't miss as many bites when I do. There are purists that snub their noses at strike indicators...which has always been fine with me....cause I can catch 5 to their 1....LOL!

p.s. Thingamabobbers are my favorite strike indicators...check them out!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

I end up fishing a dry fly with a nymph dropper about 95% of the time. Even when they are only eating below the surface, I still keep the dry on.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't use indicators because they make it ridiculously hard to roll cast for me, I need to be able to roll cast or I have to put my fly rod away. If I do that, I can't fish, because I'm hopelessly addicted to the rush of catching fish on little artworks I've made. Even the ugly ones. And in most of the places I frequent sunfish and chubs will maul it anyway, making it useless. Can't even sore mouth the little turds while they're biting the indicator.