Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up It does my heart proud!

When I read of this story that happened today, I smile and think it is great how we can all work together and watch each others back. I am so proud of our boys in this war.

Canadians commended for stopping attack

58 minutes ago
    By Dene Moore, The Canadian Press

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan - They were out testing some new equipment, just outside the security fence that surrounds the massive NATO military base in Kandahar.

They were so close that they didn't even have flak vests on _ their "kit," as soldiers call it.

That's when the trio of Canadian soldiers heard an explosive boom, said Sgt. Marc Andre Rousseau, one of the three who received a commendation Friday for their courage during the Aug. 13 insurgent attack on Kandahar Airfield, the largest NATO base in southern Afghanistan.

After taking cover in a bunker, they heard another rocket-propelled grenade explode about 50 metres away, and a firefight break out involving a group of U.S. soldiers who also happened to be in the area when the daylight attack occurred.
    They quickly decided to act.

"I told them let's go, we're going to return fire," said Rousseau, a commander of the Combat Engineers in Kandahar and a member of the Royal 22e Regiment, based in Valcartier, Que.

"We ran outside the bunker. There, I looked to my right and we got a visual contact with the insurgents."

"So, we ran out from the bunker with no kit. 'Oh my God, they're right there'," recalled Rousseau, 27.

The attackers were about 75 metres away, firing on the Americans with AK-47s and a RPG.

Sapper Kirk Farrell, a 29-year-old soldier from Petawawa, Ont., jumped in the driver's seat of their light armoured vehicle, and Cpl. Joseph Henry, 32, also a member of the Combat Engineers from Valcartier, took command. Rousseau climbed into the gun turret mounted on top of the vehicle.

"At the moment I'm aiming at the insurgents, the first guy blew himself up. That makes a big dust cloud," he said.

Rousseau said he knew the suicide bomber was too far from the rest of the insurgents to have killed them in the explosion.

The other insurgents were obscured by the dust somewhere between the Canadians' vehicle and a hole in the fence from the suicide bomb.

Rousseau took aim at the dust cloud where he'd seen the attackers. He unleashed 10 rounds of 25mm incendiary ammunition, which explodes on contact.

When the dust lifted, between eight and 10 attackers were dead.
    "It wasn't pretty," he said. "If you hit directly someone with that, they completely disappear, kind of. So it's hard to say exactly how many there were."

Royal Air Force Air Commodore Gordon Moulds, commander of Kandahar Airfield, presented the trio with certificates commending them for "courage, excellence and steadfastness in the face of danger."

The special ceremony was held in front of the memorial to Canadian soldiers who have been killed in action in Kandahar.
    Rousseau, who is on his second tour in Afghanistan, is proud of the actions he, Farrell and Henry took, although he said he acknowledged it may be difficult for anyone outside the military to understand that pride.
    "You train really hard to be ready for this experience. So when it happens to you, it's hard to understand for civilians ... when you're well-trained and you know what you're doing and if you're sure that what you do is right, you feel good."

It is not the first time he's been in a firefight with insurgents. Two fellow soldiers were killed by roadside bombs during an operation to take back a forward operating base at Ghundy Ghar from the Taliban in 2008.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: It does my heart proud!

Good story Margie, thanks for posting it.

Just wondering--do you know if the Canadian soldiers like their beer as much as the Aussies do? As far as I know there weren't any Canadians in Viet Nam but I served with a contingent of Austrailians and I know that when we were in base camp, no one could keep up with them in downing the suds. See the memories are not all bad.

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Grumpy

No we didnt fight in the Vietnan war but we were there as peace keepers. However, those Canadians who wanted to fight were drafted by the US Army and trained by the Americans. So you never know that the soldier wearing the American flag on his uniform fighting along side of you might actually been a Canadian. We sure got lots of draft dodgers up here. I dont condone that at all. I was pretty young then but I didnt like all the anti war protests going on for that war. Not fair to the soldiers who fought. Anyway I digress.

Heck yes Canadian soldiers love their beer. Now we will never be as crazy as the Aussies. They are a different breed all together. But I bet when they are able many a Canadian soldier would love a nice cold Molsen Canadian or a Labatts Blue bottle of beer. ahhhhhhh Margie

Post Thanks / Like

Great job by the Canadian soldiers!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Actually there were plenty of Canadians in Nam....knew quite a few of them in those days when I was a Marine.. Certainly speaks well for the Canadian folks that felt strong enough to join us...not much for the Canadian government for allowing deserters to have sanctuary there.

Post Thanks / Like

Dave is right, I should have looked it up before I made my post. Below is the opening line about Vietnam Canadian troops from Wikipedia:

"Canada did not fight in the Vietnam War and diplomatically it was "officially non-belligerent." The country's troop deployments to Vietnam were limited to a small number of national forces in 1973 to help enforce the Paris Peace Accords"

I get in more trouble when I comment FROM MEMORY. I think that is a sign of something also but I can't remember what that is either.

Gruimpy

Post Thanks / Like

The Canadian's I was referring to was those that wore the uniform of the U.S. and took the oath to defend our country and our constitution...knew many Marines back then that were from Canada...and they were not drafted..Canadians were not subject to being drafted by the U.S. Govt...they were volunteers.

Post Thanks / Like

My dad told me he served with a Canadian during Nam. I didn't realize that there were that many of them that joined our millitary.