Search Fishin.com

Thread: c river today

Post Thanks / Like

c river today

where else can you go from soaking dripping sweat to chilly cold. Put in kendal went down stream about 3.5 miles around 5:30pm. Water brown remind me of brackish water. Boat floating around 1to 1.8 mile an hour just drifting. If your wonder about kayaking don't think I'd want to paddle back up. Threw crankbait caught two sager at hatchery creek. Stuck with crankbait they were bumping it but not nailing it. Floated past Indian creek changed to rooster tail. Couldn't get them to nail rooser tail like last week. Pulled out the ultra lite went down to 1/8 oz in shallow moving water caught 4 trout lost one had to be a slought or I like to think so. No dinks again, but no sloughts. Thought i tagged a brookie didn't land him but made me think of one fighter. Not to bad a day for a few hours. Bank fishermen were tearing up some trout at dam useing garlic cheese of some sort that they sell at the snack shop at dam. Water cleared up some by the time I made it to next creek and that shoot between them rocks. dont know name of it water running good through there. Got there late and figure I'd better get out of there while i had day lite. Takes a little bit of time for my rig to get through that fast shallow water. Very chilly ride back up.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: c river today

I agree that might be a job getting back up that. I hope to have a pick up spot when we go. I used that garlic cheese log before and it works great in hatchery creek as well. Thanks for the report.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DJD View Post
    I agree that might be a job getting back up that. I hope to have a pick up spot when we go. I used that garlic cheese log before and it works great in hatchery creek as well. Thanks for the report.
    I think I'd put in at Indian creek and go to helms. water tainted brownish color first couple miles below dam. kept a good eye on the gps to see the mph the boat was moving. Didn't fish Indian creek area as 4 guys were out ther in waders just floated past. Nexy gravel bar down was were I picked up trout. Just ran out of time had to motor back up through the shallows. Went with ultra lite tackle as smaller and slower was what they wanted.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report. Haven't been down there since April because of the fluctuating water levels. Can't decide whether to put in with my canoe, which I can paddle upstream, or my small boat with the outboard. 2k is pretty skinny, I think, to be running with a gas engine. Last time I was at Helms with water this low, guys were having trouble sliding their boats off trailers without backing down the off the ramp halfway across the river.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bookworm View Post
    Thanks for the report. Haven't been down there since April because of the fluctuating water levels. Can't decide whether to put in with my canoe, which I can paddle upstream, or my small boat with the outboard. 2k is pretty skinny, I think, to be running with a gas engine. Last time I was at Helms with water this low, guys were having trouble sliding their boats off trailers without backing down the off the ramp halfway across the river.
    Haven't been to helms with 2k,but I agree with the launchig part. I have the tilt trailer my boat is a 14' jon so launchings never been much an issue with me. Only certain areas will you have trouble running your motor depending on size of your boat. My motor has a shallow water tilt which lets me putt throgh. I also moved my batteries ( I run 2 parallel) up front to help keep boat level trough the shallows. Majority of the time you should be able to motor. Knowing the river helps. My depth finder was reading .6 Friday nite and I made it through turbulant water. Nervous, but made it.

Post Thanks / Like

i was launching a 17 ft tracker and motoring up and down the river all day in this flow without any problems. even the shelf under the cable still had 2-3 ft of water over it @ 2100

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, guys. May give it a try--as long as the Corps doesn't drop generation to 500 cfs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by coombro View Post
    I think I'd put in at Indian creek and go to helms. water tainted brownish color first couple miles below dam. kept a good eye on the gps to see the mph the boat was moving. Didn't fish Indian creek area as 4 guys were out ther in waders just floated past. Nexy gravel bar down was were I picked up trout. Just ran out of time had to motor back up through the shallows. Went with ultra lite tackle as smaller and slower was what they wanted.
    FWIW, You can no longer launch at Indian Creek. The creek washed out the edge of the ramp. And they cut a ditch across it and posted a sign. Road Closed ! Now if you want to carry a kayak or canoe down the ramp? You can still do that. But no motor vehicle launch !

Post Thanks / Like

Fished the head of Crocus Sat, had one big drum, two bass and a striper over 18 in, all on crawlers, went to Helms later that day and caught severl browns and bows but no keepers but it was all good.