Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New at Fly Fishing

LOL.....there is nothing FFers like more than FRESH MEAT!!! LOL! Sounds like the guys have got ya covered Don.....if I was to stress anything when beginning FFin, it would be to keep it simple. It is so easy to become overwhelmed with gear, info, and techniques when you are starting off. Get ya a mid-priced, fast action rod....8' is a great length, and is the length I always use, unless FFin with a heaver weight rod....5 wt is the way to go as well. Get some good line and a cheap reel (but w/ a good disc drag).....keep your flies simple (read Rock's quote of my previous post)....and most importantly, go out with someone with experience. You will learn the most that way. I will be the first to offer my services whenever you are ready.....and I'm sure my other FFin brothers will as well. I welcome you to the FFin brotherhood!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

So a 8ft 5 wt rod will handle me wading local creeks for smallies? How big of a fly can you cast with that setup? What is the biggest line I can use with that?

Post Thanks / Like

Don, Hobbs Creek has a great rod/reel combo for $139 at Bass pro. I bought my wife one back in the spring and I ended up using it more than she does. It comes fully rigged with backing on the reel and a nice case.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...001000_175-1-0

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Tim that does look nice!

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's about time for me to try fly fishing as well. My cousin and I are going up the Dix tomorrow and I'm sure he'll get me hooked on it. I know he's bringing his fly rod and plans on using it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thats great man, after we watched those guys stay busy up there last time we went it got me wanting to do the same thing. Alot of creeks we wade or float for bass will be a blast with a flyrod. Let me know any recommendations he has for you. I have an idea of what I want now from the previous posts but always willing to hear more.
    Kinda stuck on rod action. Not sure what is best for me now and what I'll grow to want to use.

Post Thanks / Like

The Dix is probably my favorite river for trout fishing. Not only is the scenery superb, you generally have the place to yourself during the week, and a 30 fish day is a minimum.