Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

New at Fly Fishing

I have been toying with the idea of fly fishing for 20 years now. I am so ready to do this! Can you guys recommend a starter kit for tying flies? A good starter Rod and Reel? I don't want cheap but I don't want a Loomis GLX either, know what I mean?
    I would like to use it in areas like the Dix tailwaters and Cumberland River...I'm guessing that rod length is dictated by where I want to fish?
    I tried to cast a few times many years ago and hooked my shirt so maybe a few pointers?? LOL.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New at Fly Fishing

Quote Originally Posted by DJD View Post
    I have been toying with the idea of fly fishing for 20 years now. I am so ready to do this! Can you guys recommend a starter kit for tying flies? A good starter Rod and Reel? I don't want cheap but I don't want a Loomis GLX either, know what I mean?
    I would like to use it in areas like the Dix tailwaters and Cumberland River...I'm guessing that rod length is dictated by where I want to fish?
    I tried to cast a few times many years ago and hooked my shirt so maybe a few pointers?? LOL.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Don, new to FF myself, but having a GREAT time. Sorry, can't be much help myself, but we got some great guys on this board and I'm sure they can overload you with info. I'll have my fly rod with me next week and we'll have you casting that line in no time. It may not look pretty, but it'll get the job done...he...hee!

Post Thanks / Like

Like Boone, I am new to fly fishing as well and have only caught small panfish so far but i can give you some of the research i have learned thus far. It seems that in general, fly gear is WAY more expensive than even high end casting gear. $500 reels are very common and i even spotted one going for $10k the other day. I went SUPER cheap on my beginner kit... it is a Pflueger 5/6wt kit. Runs $50 at BPS...

The guys on this forum are LOADED with good info i have learned... and it seems that rod length has little to do about "where you fish" it seems that 9' is just teh magic length for some reason... and then you have to ask yourslef what you wanna fish for using a fly... 5/6 wt is good for trout and panfish... but if you wanna fly fish for smallies on teh Dix you may wanna go to a 7wt or 8wt... Now that I have a 5/6 wt i am gonna plan on buying a 9' 3-piece 8wt rod (bass and saltwater flats applications) from teh BPS in house brand called White River Fly Shop...their combo has great reviews and a reasonable price tag...

But from there I will step down and let teh local experts speak up...

Post Thanks / Like

Don, take a stroll around Sportsman's Warehouse in Lexington. Some of the best FF buys in the area. Beats the crap out of Bass Pro and depending upon what you are looking for, much larger selection of inventory (IMO). Now, that's not to say don't look at Bass Pro, they have some good buys on combos. But with that being said, Sportmans's Warehouse was $25 dollars less than Bass Pro on the same combo which I purchased as my starter. And, when it comes to "fly inventory", they got em all beat...Bass Pro, Gander Mountain. If you want a better selection or pricing, then you have to go the the internet. But, that's another story!
    Last edited by FlyLie; 08-14-2010 at 09:40 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

This is just my opinion FWIW. In a tying starter kit, you get the cheapest of everything. You may find that you're better off in the long run to determine a few flys that you want to tie then get the materials to tie them. The price of the materials will be considerably less than most starter kits and you can use the savings to get a better vise. If you find that you like to tie, you'll undoubtedly add to your stock of supplies anyway. But you will only add the materials you want not a lot of stuff in a kit that you may never use.

The same logic can be applied to rod/reel. For a little more than what you would pay for a so-called starter kit, you can get something that will last a life-time. Just look around, ask to try a friends rod, get a store demonstration etc. before you spend. Again...just my opinion. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Man that's alot of info. I'm thinking I'll be fishing for trout and anything in the creeks/steams. If I get into a smallie or two they very seldom run any bigger than 17". So a 5/6 weight 9 ft rod sounds like what I need? I have a FNF rod is it the same?
    So if I go to just buying a few flies now for trout what's a few good ones to get? I do like the idea of tying my own so is there a good quality vise I should look at?
    Thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: New at Fly Fishing

Fly casting is similar to a Golf swing. Like if you learn to swing wrong, And hit the ball good from time to time. You think you are doing OK. So I would stress to learn the proper casting basics. And build on that. And try to cast some different action rods before purchasing one. All the starter rods seem to be slow to medium action. You might find you like a fast action rod which is a little stiffer. I have a good video that would help you a lot. Which you can borrow when you come to Kendall or I can send it to you. OR , There are some guys on here that made copies of it that might burn you one ??? Then there is always You Tube ! Which is a great source of info on casting and tying flies ! But with what you do for a living. You will not have a problem learning to tie flies. If you are serious about it, Go ahead and get a decent rotary vise. And a set of good tools like Dr Slick or something. Then there is DCFF and BP that have casting and tying workshops , Where you can get some human guidance and feedback.
    Like any other specialty hobby. You can tie up as much money in it as you want to. And with all the discount fly sites online. You do not save much by tying your own flies. But when you catch a nice one on something you created. I promise you it will be a special day !

WARNING : Fly fishing is ADDICTIVE !!! Good Luck on your Journey !

Post Thanks / Like

Walker, I got a White River 7 wt. and I like it. I don't use it very often but it's a good rod. I think their stuff is all pretty good and they are a helpful bunch of guys too.

Post Thanks / Like

My 2cents... I'm NO EXPERT, but I went through this last year. I tried a friend's fly rod and got a 2 minute lesson. I liked it but really didn't like how bouncy & slow his rod was. So, I went to Bass Pro and talked to a guy about a starter rod. I tried out three, selecting a Temple Fork Outfitters rod, which has a lifetime warranty (which I've already had to use!). It's much stiffer than the one I originally tried out. The rod cost $150, but they had a combo deal where I got a White River reel for free (there are combo deals offered with most rods). In total, I got the rod, line, leaders, and some bluegill flies for a little over $200. I certainly could have gotten a kit for considerably less, but I had learned the basics about how to cast and had practiced enough (half an hour total) to know a little about what I wanted in a rod. I've been happy with my choices, especially when TFO replaced my broken tip no questions asked for $25.

Also, unless you're planning to fish small, overgrown streams or big, windy water for large fish like stripers, 9-feet is the standard. 5 or 6 weight rods are considered the most versatile, and I've caught many bass on my 6-wt. That said, I won't be jerking a big hog out of the stumps with my 6-wt, mainly because a 6-wt is most commonly rigged with 6lb test leader. Also, the main function of the reel is to hold line. If looking to cut costs, get a better rod and better line but a cheap reel.

Last thing, you won't believe how fun it is to catch a mess of bluegills on topwater poppers with a fly rod.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok I spent the last hour watching casting vids on You Tube. I understand not breaking the wrist on the cast, timing, roll casts, steeple casts and how not to overpower the cast. I know I need to get on the water to do this and take my lumps.

I wonder though....when it comes to rods, are rods with fewer sections better for strength? I would guess so and since I'm not gonna be travelling with the rod how many sections should I be looking at? I have also learned in many other hobbies that I have to get something good even in the beginning. I'm not looking for a GLX Loomis type rod but I don't want a low end rod either. Going with the bass fishing analogy I'm looking for a shimano crucial type quality...know what I mean? If a rod is 5-6 weight what exactly does that mean? Just the line size as suggested earlier?
    I agree I can see the reel being cheaper and spending more on the rod as long as my rig is balanced.
    I was thinking $200-$250 on the rod and reel. Is there a certain brand that might hold a better warranty? Any more great help would be much appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: New at Fly Fishing

Below is a good post by Brother Rich. That is under the thread : Flyfishing for the beginner. I copied and pasted here for you to get a starter list of basic flies !

Money flies for trout, no matter where you are in the country, include:

bead head pheasant tail
    bead head hares ear
    bead head copper john
    bead head zebra midge
    bead head buggers (brwn, olive, black, maroon)

There are some more, but with those few, you will catch trout no matter where you go. Doesn't matter what time of year either, they will work. Use a strike indicator varied to the depth of the water you are fishing....make sure your flies are bumping the bottom. Use splitshot 6" up from your first fly, enough to get you to "bump the bottom". Tie a second fly 12" down from your first, right off of your first flies hook bend. That simple set-up will catch you fish all day long. If you are fishing buggers, just tie one on and cast it out there.....vary your retrieve, the fish will let you know what they are liking that day. Could go on and on, but this simple info will get you on fish QUICK!!! Good luck!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Rock. You guys are making my head swim! I been on line for hours with this stuff. I'm gonna leave it alone for the night. Prolly have dreams of being on the water hearing the fish rolling and casting my new flyrod..... Like I said a dream cause I ain't got squat yet! Dreams are free..