Search Fishin.com

Thread: Jig makers

Post Thanks / Like

Jig makers

What do you guys use to glue in your weed gaurds with. For years I have used Devcon 2 (30 min. epoxy. I used to get it at Wally world but they went with Lock tite 5 min. It just does not allow enough working time.

If anyone knows where to get the Devcon or a good alternative in Lexington please let me know.
    Thanks
    rustedhook

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jig makers

Ran into the same problem. I got some Loctite 60 minute Marine Epoxy. I have not used it yet but I am almost out of my Devcon. I think you can get the Devcon on line.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using the devcon 30 minute. Have to order it on line now since Wally world stopped carrying it and the Ace hardware that sold it went out of business. Rod building places like Mudhole carry it.

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. I'll give ace a try.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the super glue gel and it works well for me and easy to find

Post Thanks / Like

Do you guys pour your own jig heads as well? Do you use a regular hook of your choice and pour it into the lead head? I want to make my own jigs this winter because I'm tired of buying them. I need a quick "how to" on getting started.

Post Thanks / Like

It is not real hard. But there is no real quick how to. Hit youtube and check out some stuff out there. If you can't get your lead cheap you may not save much money pouring them yourself.

If you are in or near Louisville I will be glade to have you come out and I can show you how I do it. It is pretty easy once you get set up.

Give me a call 502-664-5921 Ryan.

Post Thanks / Like

The Do It molds web site also has some tips on pouring lead. Each mold has a recommended hook. A number of other hooks may also fit the mold. In some cases I have modified the mold a little to fit a particular hook.

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like

I checked out youtube and it actually looks really simple to pour your own jigs. I guess my next question is where can you buy lead cheap?

Post Thanks / Like

Try scrap yards. That is the hard part. If you use wheel weight lead make sure it has not been coated. If you are using scrap lead you must clean it.

Put the lead in your pot and once it melts take a little bit of wax about the size of a peanut and put into your pot. Be sure you wear heavy gloves and use a long handle spoon. Stir the pot CAUTION the pot will flame up! Keep stirring this will bring all kinds of junk to the top of the pot. Take a smaller spoon and clean it off. Repeat the process. Now you should have pretty good clean lead.

Check out bassboatcentral.com and tackleunderground.com and do a lead search. You can find some great info over there.

Post Thanks / Like

ACE had some Devcon. It was $4.00 a tube a little more than Wal Mart but that is life.