Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Fly Fishing Memories...

Just wanted to start a thread and inquire upon everyone's fly fishing memories....

Perhaps my fondest memorie as a kid growing up in Northern UT, was the trips with my Dad to East Fork of the Bear. East Fork of the Bear is a small stream that rolled down from the Rocky Mountains just south of Logan, UT. My Dad would wake me early...and I remember that I was always so excited that I couldn't sleep anyways, so I was quick to jump out of bed when Dad came in. I had my Dad's old 7' pfleuger rod and an antique reel. I sported my older brother's old fly vest filled with an assortment of poorly tied flies that I had conjured up the night before. My Dad was a fly fishing purist, sporting his 7' bamboo rod and creel for the day's catch. When we got to East Fork...I can remember the blue wing hatch, and the non-stop rising of the trout as they gorged themselves in the riffles. Having never even heard of nymphing back then....my father and I tied on our dries and worked into the riffles with our hip waders. The rest was a blurr of wild bows, browns, and cutts. With a creel loaded with wet stream grass and beautiful trout, we would head home to show Mom the days catch. Those were the days. Watching my Dad work the fly rod was an amazing thing.....he was truly masterful. I owe everything I know about the sport to him and his dedication to involving his son in his passion. Thanks Dad.

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fly Fishing Memories...

Very nice story Rich! I have fond memories of fishing with my Dad with the same excitement and success but we didn't fly fish. It was striper fishing and saltwater fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RICHYD4U View Post
    Just wanted to start a thread and inquire upon everyone's fly fishing memories....

Perhaps my fondest memorie as a kid growing up in Northern UT, was the trips with my Dad to East Fork of the Bear. East Fork of the Bear is a small stream that rolled down from the Rocky Mountains just south of Logan, UT. My Dad would wake me early...and I remember that I was always so excited that I couldn't sleep anyways, so I was quick to jump out of bed when Dad came in. I had my Dad's old 7' pfleuger rod and an antique reel. I sported my older brother's old fly vest filled with an assortment of poorly tied flies that I had conjured up the night before. My Dad was a fly fishing purist, sporting his 7' bamboo rod and creel for the day's catch. When we got to East Fork...I can remember the blue wing hatch, and the non-stop rising of the trout as they gorged themselves in the riffles. Having never even heard of nymphing back then....my father and I tied on our dries and worked into the riffles with our hip waders. The rest was a blurr of wild bows, browns, and cutts. With a creel loaded with wet stream grass and beautiful trout, we would head home to show Mom the days catch. Those were the days. Watching my Dad work the fly rod was an amazing thing.....he was truly masterful. I owe everything I know about the sport to him and his dedication to involving his son in his passion. Thanks Dad.

-Rich

To some it is a hobby ! To others a Passion ! You are a very lucky Man to have had such experiences at an early age !

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. Those memories are ones that I cherish...and I hope to instill such memories in my daughters mind. For her....it's Trammel Creek and the near thousand trout she has caughten there over her 7 years! lol! Anytime I ask her what she would like to do.......she's says "go to trammel creek!"....ha ha....got to love it! Take care.

-Rich