Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stripers

Post Thanks / Like

Stripers

Anyone know what the stripers are doing at Lake Cumberland??? Is that any activity by Camp Earl Wallace or are they pushed down towards the dam??

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stripers

it is very slow right now. there are always fish across the lake from camp earl wallace....now get em to bite lol. gizzards are easy to catch right now, keeping them alive is the hard part, about 15 minutes in the warm lake water is about all the mileage your gonna get from them, so plan on changing bait alot. you are gonna graph some very tightly packed schools of fish that would normally pull every rod youve got, but for some reason theyre not, lets hope it changes soon, good luck. p.s. as far as depth of the school....just watcht the graph

HURRICANEBOB Guest

I did Cland from J-town last Saturday, but fished mouth of Beaver in the bay on the right behind the island. Fish marked up in tight packs at 40 feet, with some roving groups at the 20 foot mark. We boat 2 in the first couple hours out on shiners on boards at about 35-25 feet, light weights, small hooks.

Walls on the left side as you face Jamestown also held fish 100 feeet out from bank over 80-100 foot with baits to same 25-35 foot range. Couple pull downs and runs but no hook ups.

I am gonna try again soon, but this time when the big school marks up, I'm gonna stop and sit on them, and jig spoons off the bow while the live bait "Boils" under the boards behind me.

Water temp surface was 89. Both fish caught were released, and immediately went "T"'s up, retrieved and kept. Probably would have gone to jail. Biggest was 15, smallest was 13...........INCHES!

Big rain storm around 6 pm. Man, I love this hardtop. Dry and comfy.

And of course, the folks at Jamestown on teh house boats were partying their butts off when we ramped in at 4 pm, and still going strong at 12 pm.
    Only talked with 6 folks, so not generalizing, but all 6 of them were some seriously arrogant snot nosed brats. Punks can be over 40, and this trip proved it.

HURRICANEBOB Guest

What areas do you all target to catch giizards? Back up the creeks, or have they moved out to main lake?

Post Thanks / Like

Angry Re: Stripers

hey hurricane i would have told you to catch gizzards in the back of caney.....until this morning ....GONE! didnt catch one single gizzard shad this morning, so we boiled shiners for 2 hrs.....nothing! man these shiners dont even last 5 minutes in this hot water, too expensive to just throw in the water and watch em die

Post Thanks / Like

Most of the better fish are too deep to catch with live bait right now. I can't get anything but dinks shallower that 50 ft. Catching limits of 26 - 28 in fish around 70 ft deep just outside the channel with riggers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HURRICANEBOB View Post
    The folks at Jamestown on the house boats were partying their butts off when we ramped in at 4 pm, and still going strong at 12 pm.
    Only talked with 6 folks, so not generalizing, but all 6 of them were some seriously arrogant snot nosed brats. Punks can be over 40, and this trip proved it.
    Not to get off the subject matter of the thread...but every dag gone weekend it seems like every marina on Cumberland ain't nothin' but one huge party...Since I "try" to sleep on my boat at the dock it kind of tends to wear me out real fast. I've heard Somerset Boat Club up in Beaver Creek is more my speed (aka- quiet)...one of these days I'm gonna check it out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chubminnow View Post
    Not to get off the subject matter of the thread...but every dag gone weekend it seems like every marina on Cumberland ain't nothin' but one huge party...Since I "try" to sleep on my boat at the dock it kind of tends to wear me out real fast. I've heard Somerset Boat Club up in Beaver Creek is more my speed (aka- quiet)...one of these days I'm gonna check it out.
    Somerset boat club is in Pitman Ck.

Post Thanks / Like

This last weekend caught and saw fish caught 70' and below on live bait and down rigging from and Including Indian Creek to the dam.

I "think" there is an oxygen problem from about 25' down to 70' which will kill your bait if you are in that range. The old canary in the coal mine test. I ran out of canaries about noon Sunday.

Post Thanks / Like

I checked Indian, Brown and West Fork Sunday from about 9 to 11 and saw and netted no gizzards. Saw tons of 1.5 inch threadfins.

hindsight--should have just kept fishing with my shiners and saved a lot of time and gas money.

HURRICANEBOB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by peter View Post
    The old canary in the coal mine test. I ran out of canaries about noon Sunday.
    I've used Yellow-Birds, but never canaries. Where do you get them?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the replies... my was down there for the weekend and didn't do any good. He graphed fish on the main lake from Beaver on down towards the dam. He tried planer boards around 25 to 40 feet and then switched to down lines about 55 feet deep with no success. His shiners would die immediately.

We are going down around the first weekend of November or last weekend of October.

WHEN IS THE BEST TIME TO GET THE FISH IN THE JUMPS?? I have been going down to cumberland since the early 90's for these stripers, but have never experienced the jumps.