Search Fishin.com

Thread: Is It Legal?

Post Thanks / Like

Is It Legal?

This is really a hunting question, but could be applied to fishing as well. Question:

Is it legal to sell a mount of say a deer, bobcat, fish, or any other animal?

I am wanting to hunt Bobcats and have them mounted and sell them, but I'm not sure if thats legal or not.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is It Legal?

I had a game warden tell me once that only a licensed entity (usually a taxedermist) can buy or sell mounts of wild game that exists in KY. If it is something that does not naturally exist here, say a zebra or baboon, then anyone can buy and sell. If it is one of our native species though such as a bobcat then the transaction has to be completed with a licensed entity.

Post Thanks / Like

I cannot quote the regulation, butt, no, selling mounts requires a license.

The following link shows the taxidermist license costs $125 and expires 12/31 of every year.
    http://fw.ky.gov/commfees.asp

This page is a commercial license application and at the bottom it shows the license costing $150.
    http://www.kdfwr.state.ky.us/commapp...2&NavPath=C199

Post Thanks / Like

Migratory birds have stricter rules too.

Post Thanks / Like

not sure what the answer is, my gut feeling is not legal. i dont have the regs book handy but i do seem to remember something about "only a licensed taxidermist may purchase the hide , hoof, head, and antlers of legally taken game....im sure this isnt word for word but you get the idea. to sell the meat of non domesticated animals deer, elk buffalo etc i think there are more restrictions, one being that the animal wasnt harvested in the wild , once again im sure the wording isnt exact. thats the long answer, the short answer....call the game warden, all ive got is advice, he has the law. good luck

Post Thanks / Like

I guess it's legal if you're a taxidermist. I found this at KDFWR's web site:

BUYING AND SELLING FURS & HIDES
    There is no time restriction on the holding of raw furs of furbearers by a trapper or hunter after the close of furbearer season. Raw furs (including hides from legally harvested deer) may be sold only to licensed taxidermists, licensed fur buyers or licensed fur processors. Wildlife carcasses (except certain species produced by licensed propagators) may not be bought or sold. Inedible parts of wildlife (including the hooves or other inedible parts of legally taken deer) and wildlife mounts may be sold to or purchased from licensed taxidermists only.

http://fw.ky.gov/hunt0708smallgame.asp

If you think you're going to make enough money at it, it might be worth getting the license. But then I'd have to wonder, is it legal for a taxidermist to sell mounts of animals he himself has harvested? That I don't know.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok I know how it is done around Lexington. The fat cats with the money use a trick ticket scalpers use on ebay. If you have a bobcat mounted just put a basketball under it's chin or one of it's paws. THEN advertise it as buyig a basketball. Ticket scalpers put tickets in a coffee mug and then take a pic and put it on ebay as a coffee mug .................