Search Fishin.com

Thread: carp on the fly

Post Thanks / Like

carp on the fly

looking for carp close to the louisville area... preferably shallow water. if anyone has any suggestions i would greatly appreciate it.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: carp on the fly

Quote Originally Posted by toppwater View Post
    looking for carp close to the louisville area... preferably shallow water. if anyone has any suggestions i would greatly appreciate it.
    I would imagine Taylorsville Lake is full of them, including the Salt River...don't fish there much, but have seen plenty when I have. Carp on the fly rod are a blast! They are the freshwater bonefish! lol!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

I fish Beargrass Creek. I know it' supposed to be dirty but I talked to the State guys several years ago and they said the problem is yard run-off after a storm. There are three forks. The middle fork is where I fish. Starting right behind the strip mall (Pep Boys) on Breckenridge Ln. is a pool that sometimes holds them. Starting in Seneca park you run into bass, suckers and carp. The water is gin clear and everything is spooked easily. If you drive on into Cherokee Park, as you cross the bridge at the first stop sign, just look over the bridge. I've seen up to 12 at a time there and they go up to about 15 lbs.

The absolute best place is behind Jim Porters on Lexinton Rd. I've parked in their lot for several years and no one says anything. There's a bicycle path (part of the park loop) and you can walk right down to the water but you have to cut through some heavy weeds. That section runs 15-20 feet wide and about 3 foot deep all the way to Story Ave. If you see an old gray haired far& that trips and cusses all the time, that's me.

There's also Floyds Fork at Miles park but the water is so dark you have to call em in with corn All the pools from Valhalla downstream hold carp and there are some big ones.

Post Thanks / Like

It the river stays down, I'm going to the falls next week and try my hand at one of the big head carp. They're stacked up below the riffles now just laying there inhaling all the nutrients in the water. I figure they won't bite or I'll break my rod or I'll have a heck of a time. If I break my rod, I celebrated my 43rd aniversary today and that new Cabela's rod that weighs under three ozs. looks pretty good. I think my wife would really like it for an aniversary gift.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by toppwater View Post
    come on down White Mills area send me a pm give you directions. Live on Nolin River and you can get em in my backyard. Catch em on fly rod no problem do it often. Gravel bars knee deep or less.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for all the info guys, i will try some of those areas. i fish mcalpine a lot and have had some good days there with the big hybrids but the bite has been real slow lately. ive been seein all this info on catching tailing carp and the thought of catching a big one on a fly gets my blood pumpin. hey hipboots, when your seein these fish in the creek are they actively tailing and feeding? have u had good success on crawfish patterns or nymphs?

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen them feeding many times but I've never seen their tails sticking up. Normally, they're just schooling along the bottom and you see puffs of muddy water (when the bottom is silty). Or just laying in the water. I fish the creek because it's close and I don't recall ever seeing anyone else fishing so I have the place to myself. I'm usually fishing for the bass and sunfish but have caught a few carp over the years. The only carp I've caught on a fly was a little beaded fly, #10 or 12 with black dubbing wrapped on it. I use it more than anything because everything in the water seems to like it. I even picked up a crawdad one day. I've thrown corn out and put a piece on the fly rod just to see if I could catch one. I've done that in both Floyds Fork and Beargrass and it works but I don't know if that's really fly fishing. It is fun though.

I mentioned the area behind Jim Porters because it's a long straight stretch that holds a lot of carp and is open so casting is easy.
    There are a lot more bass, pumpkin seeds etc. in Beargrass than most would imagine. But carp are more consentrated there than anyplace I know. Also, you can walk beside and above the creek for just about it's full length so you can sight cast for them. There are gravel runs and holes with mud bottoms so be careful.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again hipboots, I might head that way today with some nymphs and crawfish patterns.

Post Thanks / Like

I fished beargrass between Big Rock and the seneca golf course teh other day for bass, caught a bunch of small ones... is there anywhere on beargrass that you can wade and get into say 12 inch bass???

Post Thanks / Like

There are some larger ones in the holes in Cherokee Park but it's hard (for me at least) to fish there. The bottom is soft in a lot of places and the water is full of sticks/wood. About 2 lbs is the largest I've seen but sometimes there are quite a few and sometimes there are few. The stretch behind Jim Porters is about the same way but the bottom is a better and it's open so casting isn't a problem.

There's a little dam at the east end of Story Ave. behind the police impound lot. You can pick up just about anything below that dam but the area is full of poison ivy. You have to walk down an asphalt path a short way. It's deep and wide there and all under big trees. Also, if you fish that area, be careful. There are some permanent "camps" in that area and some pretty rough characters in the area sometimes. City fishing does have it's draw backs.

Post Thanks / Like

no bottom seems soft after wading salt water flats...lol and am not worried about unsavory characters as i pack heat everywhere i go including fishing...

how hard is it to get to teh river from jim porters lot?

Post Thanks / Like

There's a bicycle path from behind porters all the way to River Rd. Then you can cross the old bridge and go down a dirt path to the river, about 100 yards or so.

If you drive east on River Rd. you cross Goose Creek up by Juniper Beach Rd. You need a kayak or canoe to fish it but it's got some nice fish in it. Again, you're only a short distance off the river.