Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Jacobson Park Lake in Lexington?

So I go to college at UK (Junior). I haven't been in Lexington very long, but I already miss fishing. I hear that people can fish at Jacobson Park Lake here in Fayette County. Is it any good? I like fishing for bass. How is bass fishing at this lake? What other kinds of fish are in the lake?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jacobson Park Lake in Lexington?

i live less than a mile from there. went out there a couple of times never catch anything. but i have seen guys pull out a lot of tiny bluegill and keep them along with some cats. i do work with a guy that did catch a small largemouth with a worm with his son tho. personally its not worth my time.

Post Thanks / Like

Bass fishing is slow most of the year at the park. The lake is very shallow and FULL of big shad. It is overrun with small crappie and bluegill and has "average" catfishing at night. There are some hog cats in there I have seen them long as my leg almost come out of there. I have had my best luck bass fishing very early in the morning or after dark with a crankbait or a bitsy tube around Richmond road side of the park. There are bass in there worth hooking up with but VERY tough catchin em since the lake normally is so full you have to squeeze in to cast a line in.

Shawn

Post Thanks / Like

Well that doesn't sound real great, but I will give this lake a shot or two. You say there are a lot of big shad. I am not very familiar with shad. Can they be caught with a rod and reel?

Post Thanks / Like

I have caught some nice bass from the golf course side through the years. We would put a Jon Boat in and troll over there and fish those trees.

Years ago they would have a fishing event that released alot of catfish and bass into a netted area. After the weekend event they would remove the net and let the fish into the rest of the lake. It was awesome!

Post Thanks / Like

Pick up a KY atlas and gazetter. You'll be able to find access points on Elkhorn Creek (near Frankfort), dams on the KY River, and a number of other smaller creeks. Plenty of fishing to be had if you look around.

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with APB if you want to catch some fish primarily Smallmouth. try Elkhorn Creek which is the best creek around for SM. there is plenty of access in Frankfort and Georgetown, also Hickman Creek is a good stream to wade. and you can get some bank access to the KY River especially where Hickman Creek Enters the river.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by apb View Post
    Pick up a KY atlas and gazetter.
    Is there an online version of this? Anybody have some URLs?

Post Thanks / Like

^ And I'd like try places like Elkhorn Creek, but I don't know where the public fishing spots are on the bank. I recently saw a KY Afield episode where they were fishing for Smallmouth there. It looks like a nice place. Also, is there any nice public fishing spots on the bank for the KY River?

Post Thanks / Like

As far as elkhorn creek I'm pretty sure the stream is public so anywhere you want to get in and wade is fine...I don't really bank fish elkhorn, I perfer to get in and wade upstream a mile or two. Peaks Mill in Frankfort is a good place. and the forks of the Elkhorn in Frankfort is good too. If you have a kayak/canoe you can put in at the Stamping Ground Ramp in Georgetown. Weisenberger Mills on Leestown road isn't terrible either.

Post Thanks / Like

^ Well I'm boatless, so I'm forced to do bank fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KYbrian32 View Post
    ^ Well I'm boatless, so I'm forced to do bank fishing.
    You have to get permission to wade the creek from land owners, if your in a canoe or kayak your ok as long as you stay in the boat. Seen people bank fishing from the locks on the KY river. Lock 8 mainly.

Here's a list of smallmouth streams

http://fw.ky.gov/smallmouthstreams.asp
    Last edited by KY374V; 08-31-2010 at 01:22 PM.