Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The End of the War

I was just watching some more news clips of the last American Combat forces leaving Iraq. I couldn’t help but think how very different it was from when the last United States combat forces left Viet Nam at the end of March 1973.

On 29 March, 1973, the United States officially withdrew the last American troops from Vietnam. President Nixon announced that ‘the day we have all worked and prayed for has finally come.”

Not long before I had arrived in Vietnam in July 1972 for my second tour, the Paris Peace Talks started up again trying to find a way to get America out of the war. Those Peace Talks were on-again and off-again for most of 1972. Finally, on January 9th, 1973, the “Shuttle Diplomacy” of Henry Kissinger, the United States Secretary of State, resulted in a treaty whereby all American armed forces would leave South Vietnam in exchange for the North Vietnamese government releasing all captured American Prisoners of War.

The war was over for us; it was just a matter of putting our tails between our legs and getting out of the country.

I won’t go into all the details of what happened between that announcement and when I actually left Viet Nam. However, late in the evening of the March 28th we got the word that the American prisoners were being released and we would be too. Just by chance, the very first plane leaving early on the morning of the 29th had a scheduled stop in Japan and since my orders authorized a delay en-route in Japan to pick up my wife, I was manifested on it.

I don’t remember the exact time I got to the tarmac but I do remember getting in line with the rest of the soldiers and then seeing everyone pointing to the head of the line and hearing the shouting and the cussing. I looked to see what the commotion was all about and then I saw and understood what it was.

At the head of the line were three North Vietnamese Army Officers, in dress uniform, checking our names against the manifest to verify that we were leaving as agreed.

Standing next to them was an American Military Police Colonel and three MPs with M-16 Rifles guarding the NVA Officers against us. That’s right, their guns were pointed at us, not at the NVA Officers. They were afraid that, even though we didn’t have any weapons, some of the Americans would go after the NVA Officers and the MPs were there to stop us from doing what many of us would like to have done.

They didn’t need to worry; all of us were much more interested in going home than we were in revenge. Still, it was one of the most eerie events in my life.

That was 38 years, five months and one day ago and I can still see those NVA Officers like it was yesterday!

Grumpy
    Last edited by Grumpy; 08-30-2010 at 12:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The End of the War

Thanks for sharing your story Grumpy. That is very interesting. Did you meet your wife during the war?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Margie, I went to Japan after my first tour in Viet Nam (1967-1968) where I met my wife. Another long story short, but at 32 two confirmed bachelors got together and this November we will have been married for 40 years.

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like

I think that is wonderful that during the perils of war that you found true love. I bet it helped when you did your second tour of duty knowing that you had your wife waiting for you. That must have helped you alot get through it all. I love happy endings.

Post Thanks / Like

GrumpyI was in Viet Nam 67-68. WELCOME HOME

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks LJP, welcome home to you also.

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    I was just watching some more news clips of the last American Combat forces leaving Iraq. I couldn’t help but think how very different it was from when the last United States combat forces left Viet Nam at the end of March 1973.

On 29 March, 1973, the United States officially withdrew the last American troops from Vietnam. President Nixon announced that ‘the day we have all worked and prayed for has finally come.”

Not long before I had arrived in Vietnam in July 1972 for my second tour, the Paris Peace Talks started up again trying to find a way to get America out of the war. Those Peace Talks were on-again and off-again for most of 1972. Finally, on January 9th, 1973, the “Shuttle Diplomacy” of Henry Kissinger, the United States Secretary of State, resulted in a treaty whereby all American armed forces would leave South Vietnam in exchange for the North Vietnamese government releasing all captured American Prisoners of War.

The war was over for us; it was just a matter of putting our tails between our legs and getting out of the country.

I won’t go into all the details of what happened between that announcement and when I actually left Viet Nam. However, late in the evening of the March 28th we got the word that the American prisoners were being released and we would be too. Just by chance, the very first plane leaving early on the morning of the 29th had a scheduled stop in Japan and since my orders authorized a delay en-route in Japan to pick up my wife, I was manifested on it.

I don’t remember the exact time I got to the tarmac but I do remember getting in line with the rest of the soldiers and then seeing everyone pointing to the head of the line and hearing the shouting and the cussing. I looked to see what the commotion was all about and then I saw and understood what it was.

At the head of the line were three North Vietnamese Army Officers, in dress uniform, checking our names against the manifest to verify that we were leaving as agreed.

Standing next to them was an American Military Police Colonel and three MPs with M-16 Rifles guarding the NVA Officers against us. That’s right, their guns were pointed at us, not at the NVA Officers. They were afraid that, even though we didn’t have any weapons, some of the Americans would go after the NVA Officers and the MPs were there to stop us from doing what many of us would like to have done.

They didn’t need to worry; all of us were much more interested in going home than we were in revenge. Still, it was one of the most eerie events in my life.

That was 38 years, five months and one day ago and I can still see those NVA Officers like it was yesterday!

Grumpy
    Thank you for sharing a small portion of your story with us...we learn more about what really happened during history from people like you who experienced it than we do from the authors that write about it in books.

Thank you for serving our country and for putting your life on the line so we can enjoy freedom. I have always admired WWII vets for their unwaivering patriotism and Korean/Vietnam veterans for their bravery and resolve when the chips were stacked in the opponents favor because of politics (when in reality the odds should have never been stacked like that).

LJP- thank you for your sacrafices and bravery as well. I wish more young folks in my generation would give the proper respect to veterans such as you and Grumpy and appreciate your duty to this nation when called upon.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't imagine what that was like. I love to hear about those stories which is why I read books on our past wars. Just want to say a true heartfelt thanks Grumpy for your sacrifices for our country.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DJD View Post
    I can't imagine what that was like. I love to hear about those stories which is why I read books on our past wars. Just want to say a true heartfelt thanks Grumpy for your sacrifices for our country.
    Me to Grump, your story was very interesting, I know it must have been hard. Thank you and ALL that have served to keep my family and our Nation safe.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guys, I appreciate it and I am sure all the other Vets do also.

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, thanks for the story!

Post Thanks / Like

I'll echo what the rest of the folks have said. A very interesting story, thanks for sharing that. Also a thanks to you, LJP, and all other vets who have served.

Andrew