Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

leatherman spine center???

any one got any thing good or bad to say about this place . i got 2 slipped disc ( c5 and c6) and this is were they are sending me if any one has a better place to go please speak up

Post Thanks / Like

Re: leatherman spine center???

I have heard it is a good place but don't know any one that has been there. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Is this at U of L ? If it is then I would look for another option.. I need back surgery my self and after talking to more then 50 people all who have had work done at U of L told me not to do it and then they told me that the doctors that do the operations is 3Rd. or 4Th. year med students long story short you are there GUINEA PIG..
    Now even with that being said I also know 5 people who had there back done that had insurance ( Not U of L) they told me that they still have back problems some say that the pain is different but they are still in alot of pain...
    I have a wore out left knee and a dislocated disk were my spine L5 meets my sacral spine s1 + 2 and Spinal Stenosis on top of it all..

Here is a little story for yah , About 14 years ago I cut my finger with a chain saw now as bad as that sounds it wasnt the saw was good and sharp and it just cut through the nerve that pulls your finger up it was a clean cut i went to kleinert kutz and because i had no insurance nor did they tell me a med student was going to do the work on my finger ( Now remember I only went becaus i cut the nerve other then that it would of healed just fine) as i sat ther and watched the dude sew up my finger this kutz dude was shaking his head no!!! I ask the Dr. that if he was doing it wrong why dont he take over he said I can't long story short here my finger is alot worse now , It has limited movement and it is crooked. This was just a semple operation to reatach a cut legament you think i want these fools working on my back ??????? DUDE run run very fast do some research lots of research and aproch this with extreem caution and look for options if you have insuance go some were else like the spine instatute if it is still in louisville. I wish all the best man and I hope it works out for you but i know the road ahead is a very painful one..

P.S.
    Dont let them get you hooked on those dam pills either or you will end up with hart problems trust me..

Post Thanks / Like

The leatherman spine center is part of the norton healthcare system....NOT uofl. Other than than that I have no info. Sorry and good luck, quick healing to you

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ironhead70 View Post
    any one got any thing good or bad to say about this place . i got 2 slipped disc ( c5 and c6) and this is were they are sending me if any one has a better place to go please speak up
    Yea...........My family has been there.

All I have is GOOD things to say.........My youngest, Natalie had an attached cord, which was detached by DR. Moriarti there. He is one of the BEST in the world. He performed Spinal Micro Surgery on my daughter, a serious operation....VERY SERIOUS.

Today.........all the symptoms and problems are gone. She had this done about 5 years ago.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post
    Yea...........My family has been there.

All I have is GOOD things to say.........My youngest, Natalie had an attached cord, which was detached by DR. Moriarti there. He is one of the BEST in the world. He performed Spinal Micro Surgery on my daughter, a serious operation....VERY SERIOUS.

Today.........all the symptoms and problems are gone. She had this done about 5 years ago.

Later,

Geo
    This is alot different then sliped disc the fix for your disc is rods and screws made from titanium but first they will send you tru physical therapy then they will want to give you some epidural shots in your back and load you up with lots of meds Those shots are very very dangerous. ( I have a brother who to this day is very sensitive to light because they screwed up. This was not done at Uof L ) .. It is a process of elimination before sergury but in my mind it is nothing else then passing the buck so every one gets some money the sad part of it all is if you dont do the BS they want you to they will not do any of it. My personal Dr. told me that there was a 80% chance that surgery will not do a thing or make it worse A 10% chance i could be put in a wheel chair and a 10% chance it will work and i can live life pain free. My Dr. is retired from the army as a physician and was a back surgen so I have to take his word for it but he was not the fist Dr. to tell me this. I'm not trying to talk you out of anything but just make you aware of what to expect. Do alot of reserch the net is your best friend. One thing they don't tell you before or after surgery is if you do somthing as little as slip on ice it can put you in a wheel chair for life and if you'r family has a history of arthritis in thier back and you have it the rods will suport your back while the rest of it curves this is devastating to your back and will cause so much problems i can't even start.
    Well Like i said I'm not trying to scare you or tell you not too but there is alot of info that they do not tell you and this is need to know stuff.
    I wish you all the best of luck man I can say i feel your pain and I'm sorry you have to go through this. There is no such thing as being comfortable anymore or as for me more then 4 hours sleep every movement is painfull...
    I have to ask do you have shooting pain going down your legs yet? does your rear go numb?
    Muscle spasms in your legs and back? This is all the good stuff to look forward to the one i like best is being dead asleep and move the wrong way my back pops ( i have a dislocated disc) and makes me screem yah it is a sweet life I lead so why dont i get surgery? Why add more pain to it but the day is comming I will have to get it done I have lived with it for 15 years now..
    Last edited by olgreenboat; 09-10-2010 at 09:45 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Olgreenboat, I had spinal epidurals 3 different times, 2 weeks apart, (the last one was 8 months ago) and you have been misinformed. I had an MRI a week before the procedure so the doctor would know EXACTLY where the epidural was to be done using the fluoroscopic procedure. I lay there watching the whole epidural procedure on an extension of the same screen the doctor was using. The medication is nothing but a numbing agent to deaden the injection site, a small amount of imaging dye to highlight the nerves being blocked, and the rest is STEROIDS. I was not prescribed any pain medication to take after the procedure; why have the epidural to stop the pain and take pain meds? As much of the medication as they gave me I am sure that if it caused light sensitivity, I wouldn't have been able to see without wearing sunglasses inside the house. I have had 4 doctors tell me that my epidurals will last for about 3 years. The only side affects were short term and they were hiccups for about a week, hyperactivity that caused me not to sleep for a couple of nights, and excessive hunger for about a week. I'll take that to be free of pain for the next three years.

You make the whole thing about disc surgery sound like something out of a horror movie and seem to have a problem identifying the difference between a herniated disc and a ruptured disc which some people call a slipped disc. You haven't had that surgery and just because you talked to a retired army doctor certainly doesn't mean that all he told you was true. If he is retired, he's an old fart that probably doesn't know anything about all the new and more modern procedures. Maybe this information from Mayo Clinic will help you to understand. The left column of the page also explains about minimally invasive surgical procedures and others explain that most don't even require surgery.

http://www.ehow.com/facts_5588315_di...c_rupture.html

Post Thanks / Like

If Leatherman Spine Center's doctors are trained in the latest procedures and have the newer equipment you will be just fine. You'll be surprised how fast your neck heals and you will not have any residual affects, not even any stiffness. They won't leave you looking like Herman Munster. There is a good chance they will use bone grafts from your hipbone which will start to grow immediately because it has your own DNA in it. If they do a fusion of C-5 & C-6 it could be with a small plate and screws that you won't know is in there. It is a 'same day' procedure that will be done through a small incision at the bottom front of your neck. You will wear a neck brace during waking hours for a few weeks.

Medical facilities don't use patients as "guinea pigs" and there are no 3-4 yr. medical students working there. They are INTERNS who are doing their internship which is required before they can take the State Medical Board examination for a license. Their work is ALWAYS under the guidance of a licensed medical doctor who isn't about to let them mess up and drag him into a malpractice lawsuit.

Your anxiety is understandable and you can always do what I did. I went to the patient waiting area and talked to patients who were there for a checkup after having surgery. I didn't hear a negative comment about my doctor and all told me they were absolutely surprised how well they were doing because they just had surgery the day before. If they are not satisfied, they will let you know.

Post Thanks / Like

Not meaning to frieghten anyone...but out of the few folks I know who've had back surgeries, none of them are like they "used to be"...so I'm guessing once the original design and manufacturing of the parts of the human wear out, things just aren't never the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chubminnow View Post
    ...so I'm guessing once the original design and manufacturing of the parts of the human wear out, things just aren't never the same.
    Chub, you are correct......it's called aging. The rest of us get injuries that require a medical "mechanic" to install a few metal replacement parts and make the living easier. When the original part wears out, no human can create another one like it. It's like trying to create a beautiful rose, just impossible without the original creator. So far I've done well with my replacement parts and haven't needed any WD-40 to remove rust or make the parts work better. lol

Post Thanks / Like

Bug you might try a little Makers Mark as a rust preventative. never hurt's to be proactive.

Post Thanks / Like

I have had back problems most of my life I finally listened to my Dr. and changed my lifestyle. I had a very good therapist help me the last time I was in excruciating pain she then set me up an exercise plan which I have followed for about five years now. My back problems are very manageable now. I have some discomfort from arthritis but it is a big improvement from what I had for years. I had a neurosurgeon tell me he would not operate because it would probably not be successful and I needed to learn to live with pain.

He told me if it got bad enough he would get me an epidural. He also said I needed exercise and walking was the best exercise for the back. Five days a week one hour a day starting at 5:00 A.M. walking and stretching, best thing I have done for my back. Perhaps you will not need surgery either. Good Luck.