Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Year over Year Fishing Report- September

Complicated thread name but what Im looking for is simple.

Im still a greenhorn when it comes to fishing so I dont have that many seasons under my belt to compare it to previous years. All I know is for the last 6 weeks... fishing has mostly sucked.

I live in Southeastern IN, we are in borderline drought conditions and water levels are ridiculously low.

Im just curious how this september has compared to previous ones... is it always kind of a crapshoot with the transitioning weather or has the late season 90 degree days and lack of moisture caused this?

Or it could just be me, is anyone else losing production?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Year over Year Fishing Report- September

Quote Originally Posted by ClarkIR View Post
    Complicated thread name but what Im looking for is simple.

Im still a greenhorn when it comes to fishing so I dont have that many seasons under my belt to compare it to previous years. All I know is for the last 6 weeks... fishing has mostly sucked.

I live in Southeastern IN, we are in borderline drought conditions and water levels are ridiculously low.

Im just curious how this september has compared to previous ones... is it always kind of a crapshoot with the transitioning weather or has the late season 90 degree days and lack of moisture caused this?

Or it could just be me, is anyone else losing production?
    Fishing this time of year can be tricky and spotty...especially with the low water levels and high temps/low oxygen levels. I'm sure there are times when guys really catch em, then really struggle at other times. It has been that way for me lately. One day last week I had my best day of the year so far, in a 3-4 acre pond. Then the last 2-3 times out (there and other places....including Monroe) have been VERY tough. Its a matter of finding the right area at the right time. Some fish have moved shallow and will feed, but others have stayed around breaks and drops in deeper water. I would suggest fishing early and late in the day, and if you fish in between do it by fishing SLOW!

Post Thanks / Like

Like already mentioned low water and high temps are hurting the Sept fishing. The cooler nights have been turning the fish on at the first of daylight hours. I primarly crappie fish, which is one of the harder fish to catch throughout the summer, so my fishing lately has been picking up tremendously.

You may want to start a fishing log. It takes work, but I have one in an excel doc. that I fill out after every trip, from water temp to wind, barometer, etc. You can put anything you find important that may help you in the future. It will take a couple seasons of entering data, but I can look back at days with similiar conditions and get a good starting point to try to form a pattern. Just food for thought.

Post Thanks / Like

After thirty four years of hard bass fishing in the southwest Ohio area I can tell you that generally the period between early August and late September is the most difficult of the year. This is excluding, of course, the late Dec to late Feb period.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    After thirty four years of hard bass fishing in the southwest Ohio area I can tell you that generally the period between early August and late September is the most difficult of the year. This is excluding, of course, the late Dec to late Feb period.
    +1