Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ethics question

Post Thanks / Like

ethics question

We were drawn #2 , got to our spot in tournament (it was 1/2 mile in no wake zone) and had another boat come in on plane and pass us to my spot...wanted to kill, but just trolled past him and cut him off and fished in front...maybe uncool but so is cruising in on plane

What would you do?

Carl

Post Thanks / Like

Re: ethics question

Agree

Post Thanks / Like

I would have let him know that I was protesting him for breaking the law by not abiding by the no wake zone right then and there( assuming he was fishing a tournament)...then I would have found another spot to fish...two wrongs don't make a right.

HURRICANEBOB Guest

I think your controlled assertiveness is most professional. I don't think it's wrong to assert yourself firmly while passively avoiding confronting bad behavior.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a similar situation last week at Barren in a Non-Tourney environment... was fishing a line of trees that show the creek channel underneath with a crank when some ass in a Skeeter came in wide open then set down 50 feet in front of me and proceeded to pitch and flip some of the timber and i saw him catch one small one... then 5 minutes after showing up ran wide open all of 200 yards to the other side of the cove... ruining my spot. I usually idle out of this cove... but this time i ran wide open right by him... hope he got the message...

Post Thanks / Like

To much bickering on the lakes these days, to much disrespect for others, to many people that plain and simply do NOT think about anyone but themselves with a total disregard for his or her fellow fisherman...ain't sayin' anyone's wrong, ain't sayin' anyone's right either...just sayin'.

I think a lot of people are missing out on what time on the water is all about.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chubminnow View Post
    To much bickering on the lakes these days, to much disrespect for others, to many people that plain and simply do NOT think about anyone but themselves with a total disregard for his or her fellow fisherman...ain't sayin' anyone's wrong, ain't sayin' anyone's right either...just sayin'.

Agree 100% Chub!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chubminnow View Post

I totally agree....ESPECIALLY with that last comment.

Also, looks like people want to stick it to the people who stuck it to them so with that attitude it will never stop. Even if you get wronged, it's much better to just let it go.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by know1 View Post
    Also, looks like people want to stick it to the people who stuck it to them so with that attitude it will never stop. Even if you get wronged, it's much better to just let it go.
    Couldn't agree more. I still fish small club tournaments - however, with 17 month old twins I look at it more of scheduled days on the water than for competition. I think that is the a big problem in the mentality of tournament fishermen today - they are in it more for the competition than the fishing. I can tell you one thing - with the limitted time I can get on the water now - I am not going to let some other bonehead ruin my day. I may have let them know what they did, but I am not getting counter aggresive over it.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: ethics question

My dad and the good book say "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

A good rule to live by.

If the guy was fishing the same tournament, I like what Dave Stewart said about protesting and moving on to another spot.

To the rest; you guys that fish a lot should be more patient and forgiving; there are a lot of guys that don't know better and if they don't try to learn by coming to these forums and study fishing, they will probably quit fishing. For those that stay with fishing they will learn from your examples (good and bad).

I remember when I first got my boat, I did something similar to the guy in the Skeeter boat; fishing 50 yards up from some guy. I really didn't know any better then. Was I wrong, sure. The guy that I did it too way over reacted and wanted to fight me. I thought he might have a heart attack.

Point is, there is a lot of water and unless it it your pond you don't own it. Move on, consider the guy a jerk if you want; but it is not worth fighting over or killing someone over. Maybe the guy is just ignorant like I was then. You may even say something to him like you were there first but go ahead, good luck, I will come back the the spot later. He may get the message.

Post Thanks / Like

Fishing for money has ruint some people's idea of what is right and what is wrong. I was going down a bluff wall at Cumberland two years ago, I was heading east and waaaay down at the end of this wall was another boat heading west my way. No problem, we'll fish up to each other and I'll swing wide as I always do and go around them. I love to talk to people, I'm like My Dad was, hell I'll talk to anybody, if I like you maybe longer than you want me to, lol. I get up to these guys and they start acting like they are trying to hide the Queen's jewels. I say ''Hey fellas, Ya'll doing any good'', they look at me like I me like I asked to take their wife home for a roll in the hay. They said nothing, and I hate when somebody does that to me, it's frickin rude. So I say ''Well alright then, glad you boys are having fun'', in my best smartass voice. To which one guys, ''Man we're fishing a tournament''. I laughed outloud and said, ''Big Effin deal, I'm not'', lol.

They went on and so did I. This was very humerous to me and I see this behavior on the water all the time now. I could give a rats butt if you are fishing a tourney, heck I was just trying to be neighborly..........

Post Thanks / Like

yea i agree, i to fish a few tournments,what some people will do for a dollar. to me what happend too fellowship,sportsmanship and do your best and be respectfull and have a good time win or place thats just a little iceing on the cake.