Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking For YOU Jig Fisherman

I have tried and told myself to stick with fishing a jig. It'll catch more BIG fish than any other presentation. My problem is I learned to bass fish with and love to use a crank bait....so I assosiate my presentation speed with that. Now I know you can swim a jig, but they are mainly made to drag and bounce. My issues, and my question is I can't hardly feel the bottom or get a feel for the contours of the bottom of the lake with a jig. I use decent 6.6 med heavy rods, and I can't feel when I have it on the bottom or when I am just holding it above. Are jigs made to more or less just watch the line jump or keep the line tight and feel the thump. I read that more people catch good fish deep.....and I know deep is relative to the body of water, but my problem is I fish Dale Hollow alot and deep there is 20+ ft down. When I get to where line stops sinking, I cant feel anything when I lift the line and lower it again....AND it seems that when I cast most of the line swings to below the boat and I almost have a vertical presentation...>HUFFF< and so I then just turn to the crank....lol (no not the white powder) I am sure I am not the only fisherman that turns to the comfortable presentation they are used to when trying something new JUST ISN'T WORKING. So....(breath) How do you more successfull fisherman present the bait? What cadence do you use. How do you feel the bait make contact with deep water bottoms? At what point do you say, WELL they just aren't wanting a JIG today...I'll try something different. Questions, questions, questions.....ALRIGHT...ready, set, GO!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: For YOU Jig Fisherman

get a good rod,light line(flouro) and you should start to feel stuff deep. i caught a few nice one down there jiggin 30 ft or so.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you use braided line? They are alot more sensitive than Mono imo.

Post Thanks / Like

I like a longer rod for jig fishing - it just seems to transmit more vibration. A lighter line will help - the only time I really go heavier than 12 is when I am fishing some heavy cover. The weight of the jig is important too. I can feel the bottom much better, and have better luck when dragging the jig as opposed to hopping it. Just short drags (10 inches or so) and take up the slack and pause - just as I do a carolina rig. Steven Headrick told me about how this was his primary jig presentation he learned from Billy W. According to Billy, he did it in short moves like this, because he said that is how a crawfish moves along the bottom (short bursts, and settle).

Post Thanks / Like

when I first started jig fishing I had some of the same problems a friend said to start with a heavy jig in shallow water once you know what it feels like you can go lighter and deeper now I have know problems with 1/4oz jig in 25+ feet of water also feed line before engaging reel so jig falls stright down

Post Thanks / Like

I would recommend honing your skills in shallow water before trying anything deeper than maybe ten feet. Detecting bites is much easier in shallow water, line stretch is less of a factor, shallow fish are generally more aggressive - there's plenty of reasons to start shallow. You mentioned not being able to tell when your jig hits bottom. Learn to be a line watcher and fish shallow. Once you get the hang of that, adjusting to deeper water will be much easier. If you find it hard to see your line well enough, try fluorescent line. A heavier jig is much easier to get a feel for than a light one. If you're throwing a 3/16 jig in 20 feet of water, you'll probably miss a lot of hits until you develop a feel for the heavier jigs in skinny water.
    Don't know what part of the state you're in, but if it's not too far away I'd be glad to go wet a line with you and try to help you out. I'm in Northern Ky. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Post Thanks / Like

When fishing a jig 20 ft deep a 7 ft or 7 1/2 rod will take up slack line on the hook set much faster than a 6 1/2 ft rod. I prefer the action to be MH or H because I want my rod to load up fast. The more sensitive the rod the better. I like at least an IM 9 rod or a Loomis 844. When jig fishing I want the most sensitive rod I can afford.

Post Thanks / Like

What size jig are you using? What size line? How old is the line? what kind is the line? lol Fishing deep takes some getting use to. As said above you should really try a longer rod. Longer rod will give longer casts which is an absolute must at Dale. A smooth reel is also a must to make these casts. I use either a 1/2 oz or 3/4 oz jig down there depending on the wind and also so I can feel it fishing that deep. Once you get the jig a little deeper try turning the tip of the rod down toward the water and the side just a little so you don't have such a sharp angle on the line lifting the jig, this will help keep bottom contact. I use 12lb flourocarbon too. Heavier line will coil more than lighter line and you lose some sensitivity because of it. Flourocarbon is must at Dale in my opinion. If you aren't using it, try it, big difference in feel.

Post Thanks / Like

I fish DH a lot and DO NOT use braid. Use 10-12 fluoro at most and as soon as you cast start stripping line off your reel to get the bait to fall straight down.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think its the length of the rod the weight of the jig or the type line, as much as it is your boat position in respect to the way the bank falls. If your target depth is 20 ft range 30 ft range or more,
    try to make your presentation accordingly perhaps more of a parallel. There is a certain point long cast an hook sets become increasingly more difficult.
    I'm sure there is a Latin phrase for opinions wink

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the best advice I can give you, although jigs are not my stongest attribute:

1. Use the "appropriate" sized line, preferably fluorocarbon, with the "appropriate" sized jig. In other words, don't throw a 3/4 oz football jig on 8lb line. Do what feels the most comfortable for you that is within the threshold of what works best for line and lure weight.

2. WATCH YOUR LINE!!!!!!! Lots of times, fish will hit the jig on the fall and you'll never feel the strike.

3. If something feels funny or you feel like you have lost contact with the bait, SET THE HOOK! Hooksets are free....

4. Match your equipment accordingly. To me, equipment (rod & reeel) DOES make a difference. Also note the difference between a casting jig and a flipping jig. Casting jigs have light wire hooks and thin weedguards to help aid with hooksets on longer casts. Flipping jigs have heavier-wire hooks and thick weedguards to help the jig come through cover better. The head can make a world of difference as well (ball head, brush head, football head, swim head, etc). Pick the right jig for the depth and presentation you are fishing.

5. Experiment with colors and sizes, rattle vs. no rattle, etc until you get dialed in to what the fish want. Match the weight, skirt (for bulk), and color to get the right falling rate and to make a better profile in the color of water you are fishing (natural colors for clear water, black/blue for muddy water just as some examples).

6. Stay patient. Sometimes the jig bite is ON! When it's not, they won't touch it.

7. Jig fishing is an art (I catch fish, but I have yet to master). Some people are born with it, others excel and make a living from it. Until then, I will practice, practice, practice. It is probably the most complex presentation in fishing.

Whew! That's about all I've got. When in doubt, do what you're most comfortable doing. The crankbait bite and jig bite are closely related. If you don't think so, ask Greg Hackney.

Post Thanks / Like

Took me a while to get confidence in it, and to change my mindset on the hookset. I grew up fishing the carolina rig and was used to letting the fish have it a few seconds, reel down, and then setting the hook. With a jig, you have to set the hook instantly.

Best way that I learned to fish the jig was to use my carolina rig to find the fish first - when I started catching dinks on it, switch over to the jig and try to catch the bigger ones. It didn't take long after doing that for me to get accustomed to solely fishing the jig.

I like fluoro, like 20 lb., for deep jig fishing. If I'm flipping the heavy stuff, which is usually dirty water anways, I'll use braid.