Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best baitcast combo for a beginner

you know a "decent" reel that's around $50 is the Abu Garcia silver Maxx, It's not top of the line or for die hard weekend warriors but for a kid it dials in real easy, and is easy to cast. 12lb test is as big as I would go on line size. It is a good reel for the money and I would pair it with a lightning rod medium action that way he wont have any trouble casting a lighter bait. this is the cheaper of the options in case the BPS isn't in your price range. But I will tell you a good spinning outfit goes a long way too...... IMHO

Post Thanks / Like

First get the left hand model, it does not make sence to change hands when starting fishing.Start with mono. BPS will set you bacl less than 150 bucks for a good outfit.Why left handed?, because there will come a time when he picks up a good spinning outfit, and maybe will stick with that set up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by offdtop View Post
    you know a "decent" reel that's around $50 is the Abu Garcia silver Maxx, It's not top of the line or for die hard weekend warriors but for a kid it dials in real easy, and is easy to cast. 12lb test is as big as I would go on line size. It is a good reel for the money and I would pair it with a lightning rod medium action that way he wont have any trouble casting a lighter bait. this is the cheaper of the options in case the BPS isn't in your price range. But I will tell you a good spinning outfit goes a long way too...... IMHO
    Dicks has a Silver Max on a Berkley Lightning Rod Custom for $50 as a package right now... great deal i think for a beginner. Personally, I learned on old school round reels with crappy brakes. I think teachin em on something that is TOO easy to cast doesnt teach em thumb control or how to cast in the wind very well. Start em off on something that makes em work at it... then let em get into equipment that makes it easier on em.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by walkeraviator View Post
    Dicks has a Silver Max on a Berkley Lightning Rod Custom for $50 as a package right now... great deal i think for a beginner. Personally, I learned on old school round reels with crappy brakes. I think teachin em on something that is TOO easy to cast doesnt teach em thumb control or how to cast in the wind very well. Start em off on something that makes em work at it... then let em get into equipment that makes it easier on em.
    I second the Black/Silver Max recommendations. These reels cast extremely well for the price range ($50-$60). The difference between a black max and revo when casting is minimal. The Revo feels like it is more sturdy and slightly smoother, but overall the black max is a great reel. BPS has a black max combo with a 6'6 MH abu garcia rod for $60 too.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a good combo, but oil the reel before using it. I had one that would not engage properly until I oiled the assembly where the gears are. When it was cold, it would freeze up. After I disassembled and oiled/greased it, it has worked great since.

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for BPS Pro Qualifier... great reel... a good lightweight sensitive rod that wont break the bank... Lightning Rod Shock... the whole combo is about $150 at Bass Pro in Clarksville, IN...
    I agree with this as well.

The Pro Qualifiers last a long time and are a great value. Keep an eye out for a sale - not hard at all to get a great rod/reel combo for under $100

With the end of the year fast approaching, BPS will sometimes have unadvertised sales, putting this year's models on clearance to make room for the newer models. They did that last year and I saw some Pro Qualifier reels for about $50.