Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Washington, Indiana, The good ole U.S.A..
    Post Thanks / Like

Best baitcast combo for a beginner

Austin wants to start using baitcasters. I am going to get him one for a new rod & reel for Christmas & was needing some input.

I am looking for some info. as to what would be the best (in your alls opinion) set up for him with just beginning.

I know rods & reels have come a long way since I started.

He is about 5 ft tall. He wants to be able to flip & cast & use several different kind of baists with it. A good all around combo.

Thank you,

Jason

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best baitcast combo for a beginner

What is your price range? I started with a shimano bantam my dad had layin around and gave it to me. I had still use it

Post Thanks / Like

Not looking to spend G-loomis/Curado kind of money. But it don't really matter, just wanting to get a quality set up for him. I am not wanting "top of the line" but I don't want cheep either.

He is serious about his fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

BPS Extreme Combo. Should be able to get it at the holidays for about a hundo.

Post Thanks / Like

The BPS Pro Qualifier reel would be a nice beginner reel. It was voted 2009 Field and Stream's best value award. On the BPS website it has a 4.8 review rating out of 5. Not bad.. The reel itself is $99 and you can get it in RH or LH and different speeds as well. When you buy a cheaper reel as a beginner, the cheaper reels make it much harder to learn. They dont cast as easy with less bearings and are harder to get "adjusted" to differnet weighted baits. Just my opinion, go ahead and start out with a nicer reel that casts easier and works better all around and thay way you dont have equipment eror when trying to learn initially. Of course you could go all out and buy a brand new Shimano Core MG for ~$300 and a new G-Loomis NRX for ~$400 and have ~$700 in a combo. I'd say winning the lottery would play a major role in that decision, beginner or experienced.

Post Thanks / Like

Some reels are easier to cast than others. I use high end shimano stuff but they backlash if you dont know what your doing.

One shimano reel I have found is easy for beginners is the Cardiff. They run about $100 and they are a quality reel period. I would match it with a shimano rod like a clarus or compre which have lifetime warranties. I know I was hard on rods when I started fishing.

If not a cardiff the ambassadors are good for beginners but they arent the quality a cardiff is.

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for BPS Pro Qualifier... great reel... a good lightweight sensitive rod that wont break the bank... Lightning Rod Shock... the whole combo is about $150 at Bass Pro in Clarksville, IN...

Post Thanks / Like

Whatever you get, start him with a lefthanded reel and he will thank you later. No reason changing hands after every cast. Should be no problem if he can use a spinning outfit.

Post Thanks / Like

quantum energy reel 6to1 try looking on ebay, i have shimano, revo, and quantum reels,i like them all. you might be able to get last years for under $100. the rod, look on craigs list or go to backwaters in lexington. you might be able to find a new/used rod for less. good luck and he will like what ever you get him.

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a BPS Extreme combo that I've been struggling with for a number of years. Basically, i can't throw anything under half an ounce, and under 3/4 ounce, I'm babying it ridiculously.

So, I just bought a virtually new Team Diawa Viento ($199 reel) for $85 from Shimano4life. I have always wondered if the amount of $ you spend on a casting reel really matters, and it really DOES! I put it on the same BPS Extreme rod and it made a HUGE difference! I love this reel and backlash a fraction of the times I did with my old BPS Extreme combo. My recommendation for a beginner, get a GOOD reel used, and some cheap heavy action or med-heavy action rod. The heavier action produces less backlash because it whips the lure less. He can always replace the rod with a good BPS Carbonlite rod at $99.

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought one of those Quantum kvd signature series reels and am really impressed with it. The adjustable brake on the side makes it almost impossible to backlash. The brake has 3 different settings and with it set on the lowest you can sling it with everything you've got into 20 mph winds and it not bird's nest on you. It almost spoils you, I've picked up my Revo after throwing the KVD for awhile and spent the next half hour cutting line out . It definitely has my vote for a beginner learning how to throw a baitcaster.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for all of your input. This help me to narrow down what I will be looking at & for, instead of looking at everything on the rack.

Jason