Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Angry Fish cleaning stations removed due to new law!?!?

Me and my papaw were on Nolin Lake last night at wax marina before we went out night fishing. We noticed something strange, Army Corps rangers and marina workers removing the fish cleaning station that has been there as long as I have been alive. I asked one of the workers why they were taking it down and they said "We were told to take it down by law." A friend had messaged wax marina and they said that the corp ordered them to take it down. I don't understand why they were told to take it down. I'm assuming that if they made it that far down the lake then the other marinas were told the same thing. I just don't get why now or if they can even do that. It's just disheartening to have used this forever and to rely on it to clean fish and all of a sudden it's gone, due to what? A law...

Post Thanks / Like
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it is ilegal to clean the fish at the lake they were caught then throw the carcus and guts in the lake I always figured it feeds the catfish and turtles

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bob46 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it is ilegal to clean the fish at the lake they were caught then throw the carcus and guts in the lake I always figured it feeds the catfish and turtles
    I think you're confusing the law about cleaning fish while "still on the water" (ie - in your boat) with cleaning fish at a marina cleaning station.

But, you are right that the carcass feeds catfish, turtles, ducks, carp, and many other aquatic critters.
    Likes CaptObvious liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Now they will be feeding the raccoon and skunks in the camp ground!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bob46 View Post
    A few years ago they were ticketing fishermen and guides at a few marinas at lake Cumberland at the cleaning stations for throwing the carcass's in the lake. They said it was against the law. There is a thread on here somewhere regarding that. The problem went away eventually but I don't remember them demolishing any cleaning stations.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by peter View Post
    A few years ago they were ticketing fishermen and guides at a few marinas at lake Cumberland at the cleaning stations for throwing the carcass's in the lake. They said it was against the law. There is a thread on here somewhere regarding that. The problem went away eventually but I don't remember them demolishing any cleaning stations.
    The Ohio Navy denizens who park their house boats at the marinas don't like the smell so they complain about it constantly. One time a lady came out to the cleaning station at Jamestown when we were there cleaning fish and told us to make sure we "bleached" the cleaning station when we were finished using it. We told her that we always carried a big bottle of bleach with us when going fishing for just such purposes and that seemed to satisfy her greatly.
    Likes jcb liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    We had a place at Dixie Bend up in the river on Lake Cumberland when I was younger. We spent several weeks a year in the summers fishing for bass and catfish. I can remember one weekend being down and catching a big flat head on a limb line. When we got back to the little private dock there my old man cleaned it and tossed it in the water just like we had done all the others for years. He always run his knife through the gut so they wouldn't bloat and float. Well someone there didn't appreciate that we were cleaning fish because that evening when we came back to fish it was tied to the front of our boat with a piece of rope. Stupid thing was the rope was very distinctive to only one boat on the entire dock so we just tied it right back onto theirs and left a note that said "you forgot your rope". Never had another problem!!!!