Search Fishin.com

Thread: Nolin 10/7

Post Thanks / Like

Nolin 10/7

Had a few hours this evening to burn with the wife and kid away, so I headed back to Nolin after a three week break. Fished from the dam to Moutardier with minimal success. Started off throwing large plastics to shoreline structure....nothing. Went all the way back in a creek and starting throwing a spinnerbait and finally hooked up with three LMs, one barely kept. TONS of shad back in the creeks, but nothing really chasing. Left there and fished a few primaries and caught a handful of spots throwing a craw crank in about 5-7ft of water, and one on a buzz. Water temp hovering around 73, water clarity good.

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nolin 10/7

Thanx for the report--im headed down for the weekend and was just trying to decide which direction from red rock i wanted to go-towards the dam or towards wax--i think ill try towards wax. I love fishing back in dog creek but havent even fished back there this year. I wonder if any bass can still be caught at night. Ill probably try it and see. Looking forward to one of the last really nice weekends comming up but theres still a lot of good fall fishing to come ! Later jc

Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion, you would be better off to head towards the Dam area. I was in Rock Creek yesterday and it was turning over. Didn't catch anything in Rock Creek but from the mouth and in the main lake in front of Dog Creek it hadn't started turning yet. I didn't go into Dog Creek but I would think that it is also turning over. Caught a few dinks on the main lake with Tubes and worms in 5-15 feet of water.

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RICHYD4U View Post
    Had a few hours this evening to burn with the wife and kid away, so I headed back to Nolin after a three week break. Fished from the dam to Moutardier with minimal success. Started off throwing large plastics to shoreline structure....nothing. Went all the way back in a creek and starting throwing a spinnerbait and finally hooked up with three LMs, one barely kept. TONS of shad back in the creeks, but nothing really chasing. Left there and fished a few primaries and caught a handful of spots throwing a craw crank in about 5-7ft of water, and one on a buzz. Water temp hovering around 73, water clarity good.

-Rich
    You did better than I did. I was there from about 7:00 till 2:00 and got bit a bunch around docks on a buzzbait. All small spots from what I could tell. They were hitting a lot better Sunday on the buzzbait. I generally stay between the dam and Moutardier.
    Last edited by 09Z7SC; 10-08-2010 at 10:05 AM. Reason: time error

Post Thanks / Like

Ok-i changed my mind--one morning im going to go towards the dam and the next ill go towards wax. Ill post a report when i get back. Thanx jc

Post Thanks / Like

By the way--how can you tell by looking at the water if its turning over ???????????????

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by first2fish View Post
    By the way--how can you tell by looking at the water if its turning over ???????????????
    It turns dark.

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

just because water is dark doesn`t mean it`s turning over. lakes turn over when suf temp 53 degrees

Post Thanks / Like

Many lakes get dark even black AFTER the turnover. Nolin and several other lakes get a "pea soup" green color when they are in the process of turnover. I beg to differ about the 53 degree statement. The turnover is not tied to any specific temperature, e.g. 53 degrees. It will happen when the surface temprature gets colder than the water temperature is at the thermalcline. This summer Nolin has been very hot with the surface in the low 80s. The thermalcline has been at around 35 to 40 feet and the temp at around 75 degrees. (These figures are from the Corps of Engineers website.) Anyhow, that means the turnover will happen with the surface cools to lower then 75 degrees. Yesterday it was 66 to 68 degrees inthe Rock Creek, main lake, Dog Creek area and turning over in the creeks.

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joey heller View Post
    just because water is dark doesn`t mean it`s turning over. lakes turn over when suf temp 53 degrees
    NO

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    Many lakes get dark even black AFTER the turnover. Nolin and several other lakes get a "pea soup" green color when they are in the process of turnover. I beg to differ about the 53 degree statement. The turnover is not tied to any specific temperature, e.g. 53 degrees. It will happen when the surface temprature gets colder than the water temperature is at the thermalcline. This summer Nolin has been very hot with the surface in the low 80s. The thermalcline has been at around 35 to 40 feet and the temp at around 75 degrees. (These figures are from the Corps of Engineers website.) Anyhow, that means the turnover will happen with the surface cools to lower then 75 degrees. Yesterday it was 66 to 68 degrees inthe Rock Creek, main lake, Dog Creek area and turning over in the creeks.

Grumpy
    Exactly. Nolin was into the 90's this summer on surface temps...felt like a hot tub. Whenever I arrive in a body of water and notice discoloration during this time of year, I assume it has turned over, JMHO.

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joey heller View Post
    At 53 degrees? Is that everywhere, or just in Lake Dreamland where you must fish?!
    Last edited by bassin bruce; 10-09-2010 at 12:34 PM. Reason: spelling