Search Fishin.com

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fatal boat wreck on Barkley this morning

Quote Originally Posted by riptordjb View Post
    "It is all fun and games until someone gets hurt" Was it that there were too many bass boats running rampant on the lakes this weekend that contributed to this gentlemans death????? Carelessness???? Someone even said not using common sense???? This situation must be looked into and something done IMMEDIATELY! Reference to 4 july weekend and memorial weekend being really crowded. Yeah true....but are all these boats twice daily running like mad to get to their winning fishing hole and make that last minute cast and fly back to the marina to beat the time limit. Probably not. Two totally different situations..

You're right, on the 4th of July and Memorial day weekend we have several hundred drunks making several runs pulling skiers and tubes with no regards for anyone's safety. Plus the hundreds of jet skiers acting like total idiots. How many bass boat operators have you heard of getting a DUI while out on the water during a tournament? I'll take a lake with 1100 bass boat any day because 99.998% of tournament fishermen know the rules of the water... Dan

Post Thanks / Like

To each their own. You take your lake with 1100 bass boats and I choose not to participate during anything like I witnessed over the weekend. I can't ever remember two boats colliding or getting t-boned during the holiday weekends down there. Maybe there was, but I can't recall. You are correct, most of the tourney guys are safe in the endeavors on the water, but I promise you it is the few that don't know there ...... from a hole in the ground that make it bad for all..... I have nothing else to say except keep this father, dad, husband, whatever he may have been to whomever in your thoughts and prayers. God Bless

Post Thanks / Like

I strongly believe that the number of boats on the water was not the issue.

This situation could have easily happened with just two boats on the water.

If the number of boats on the water had been the issue, there would have been more than just two boats involved.

As for the comment on the fog - you have a choice whether or not to enter that fog. The tournament directors are not there to make that decision for you. They simply tell you when you can leave, when to be back, and how much your fish weigh....that is it. You are the one in control of your safety on the water, and you make the decisions out there, not them.

Post Thanks / Like

It cannot be blamed on the tournaments themselfs, those lakes are always crowded, it could have easily been between two fun fishing boats, just so happened it involved two boats from two different tourneys, I see fun fishers run as fast and hard as tourney guys, it was just an accident, accidents happen all the time on the water, some just go unreported or barley make the news, look at all the boats that have ran aground at Cland latley. Also a jet skier did get killed a few years back from a silver carp hitting him, we almost had a huge spoonbill in the boat while running barkley one day, jumped right in frint of boat. I fish manly as a co angler and I have been in some close calls, yes we do run too fast at times, and thsi is not good, but in order to be safe YOU MUST FOLLOW THE RULES OF THE WATER, give way when you are supposed too, follow the channel markers and buoys, stay on your side of the channel. This was sad and I feel for the mans family, actually I feel for all involved, inmagine have a boat accident and killing someone, that stuff wont leave any of them for a long time. Accidents happen and sometimes there is neglegince, sometimes not, I was not there and cannot cast judgement. That wil be for the legal eagles to decide. But for now all those involved need prayers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by offdtop View Post
    The fog Friday and Saturday was extremely dense - in places, in fact Saturday Big Bear down to Bee Springs was like driving in the dark yet as soon as you hit Bee Springs it was clear almost to Jonathan creek with only patchy spots in between. So when I too heard boats running I thought to myself "they are crazy" then after going a hundred yards I saw that it was clear. The boater in question as mentioned before has been in an accident before but if you knew the area he was in back in 2007 you could see it happening - just an accident he hit a stump just off the channel, and the channel in question is VERY narrow to say the least.

I was in the tourney out of Jonathan with approximately 200 boats and anyone in Jonathan around 7:00 am would have been washed a shore with the waves produced from takeoff. I have been fishing tourneys for 20 years and classics are the worst because there is so many people from out of town in on the lakes that have never been here before it is scary! I agree we need a marine licence, I believe it would possibly save at least one life and to me that would be worth it. Every year there is an October bonanza of tournaments each of these tournaments have to get permits, I do believe they could issue the permits through out the week and not just for the weekend to keep the number of boats down a bit because it is dangerous not knowing which ramp is going to have a blast off ruining peoples day.

God bless the families involved, prayers are sent to them. And everybody please be safe.
    The fog was in the area you where in . I took off from ky **** village 40 something boat to leave the reneagede event and ran to kuttawa and was fishing down from the accident when it happened. ZERO, NADA, NILL, FOG anywhere between ky and kuttawa. So FOG was not an issue.....
    It was a bad thing ! period ! BUT it was fate . Things happen for a reason ,unfortunately it was that gentleman's time to depart our world. WE all will face that same event some day . It is easy to set back and say oh that could have been avoided. It was just meant to be.
    As for the 2007 comment about him being in an area that the risk of him hitting something was so great may speak loudly for his use of judgement when he has money on the line ( also a bfl regional).You mentioned the channel was narrow, could he possibly been cutting a corner to get somewhere faster? Don't think I want to be in a boat with someone who would have me in an area where that would be a possibility regardless of who it was.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by riptordjb View Post
    As my number of posts indicate, I do not post on this forum very often. My heart goes out to the family of the lost fisherman and everyone else involved. I did not witness this horrible accident although I was on Ky. lake Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I was not in this particular location around the time of the accident but have talked to several that were in the general area at that time. Fog was not an issue is what I have been told. Saturday morning on Kentucky Lake was horrible. Poor, very poor visibility on North Kentucky lake. From Dam to Smith bay on east side was down right scary. Absolutely no reason these tourney directors should have let these boats go on Saturday morning. I talked to several toruney guys while I was fishing and they were looking for shelter inside a creek or bay until the fog lifted. Even they said this was COMPLETELY RIDICULOUS !!! You could hear boats on the lake running 3/4 throttle, then let off, back in the gas, then let out. As if they were not sure what they were seeing while running the water. As to the number of boats on the water from different tournaments, this too was ridiulous!!!! The worst I have ever seen. Absurd!!! Folks what is everyone thinking!!! This can't go on... PERIOD!!!! Again remember the family of this lost fisherman....sad, very sad.........
    Don't know where you were sat morning but from kdv to kuttawa there was a little wisp of fog maybe 50 yards wide at the canal on Barkley side other than that you could see for miles down both lakes at 6.30 am central time, that was the time we took off in the renegade. NO FOG ANYWHERE . And further more the accident happened on FRiday

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mhall View Post
    What if you addressd the number of tournaments and that would dictate boat traffic on a given part of the water on a given day and time? Just a thought. Also it sounds as if some bad judgement may have been used here as well. That many tourney's with that many people spells disaster, that's all I'm saying. I've been saying for years some form of common sense regulation on tournaments needs to be enacted.

Take poor little Guist Creek for example. It barely over 300 acres and for awhile they were having three tourney's a week on it, some with 80 boats..... REALLY? It's just food for thought and I'm not a tourney hater so please don't go there I'm just bringing up some what if's. Have a good day, and thanks for being civil in your question and somebody much smarter than me would have to figure out how to regulate or coordinate such a venture, lol.

Mark
    I agree. There needs to be a limit...period! 4th of July traffic, holidays etc don't take off before sunrise so you can't really compare. Boats are running with lights on and that is dangerous. Boats are getting faster and people are trying to get to the spots first. If setting a limit saves one life including my own or someone on this website I am all for it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Owskiwoski View Post
    I agree. There needs to be a limit...period! 4th of July traffic, holidays etc don't take off before sunrise so you can't really compare. Boats are running with lights on and that is dangerous. Boats are getting faster and people are trying to get to the spots first. If setting a limit saves one life including my own or someone on this website I am all for it.
    I couldn't disagree more. You can't limit the bass tourneys when other boaters can come at will. We can always tweek the rules a little to make it more safer. Hopefully tournament directors will use more caution such as not letting them go until it is safe light, spreading the gap between each take off sure wouldn't hurt. But this was an isolated incident. I was a whole lot more worried about the traffic I went through in Nashville this last week then I have ever been on the water. And from all accounts, of course I wasn't there, but it seems as if both boaters used poor judgement. Like another poster stated, this would have still happened even if they were the only two boats on the water. This was a terrible, terrible accident. But lets not get crazy. I know one thing though, when I am on the lake this weekend, fishing in my tourney, I will be looking to the right and to the left, in front and behind a little more often, and prob. won't be in quiet the hurry.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jbyrd View Post
    The fog was in the area you where in . I took off from ky **** village 40 something boat to leave the reneagede event and ran to kuttawa and was fishing down from the accident when it happened. ZERO, NADA, NILL, FOG anywhere between ky and kuttawa. So FOG was not an issue.....
    It was a bad thing ! period ! BUT it was fate . Things happen for a reason ,unfortunately it was that gentleman's time to depart our world. WE all will face that same event some day . It is easy to set back and say oh that could have been avoided. It was just meant to be.
    As for the 2007 comment about him being in an area that the risk of him hitting something was so great may speak loudly for his use of judgement when he has money on the line ( also a bfl regional).You mentioned the channel was narrow, could he possibly been cutting a corner to get somewhere faster? Don't think I want to be in a boat with someone who would have me in an area where that would be a possibility regardless of who it was.
    Anytime you put a boat in the water, (ESP KY/Barkley), you run the risk of striking an unseen underwater obstruction, regardless of WHO is driving.

Post Thanks / Like

Let us pray

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ukbass View Post
    t the traffic I went through in Nashville this last week then I have ever been on the water. And from all accounts, of course I wasn't there, but it seems as if both boaters used poor judgement.
    From what I read the Young properly veered right like you're supposed to and the other boat improperly veered left when it should have veered right. If that is true then yes I would say someone is at fault because they made the error. Of course that could have been due to reaction other than actually thinking about it but if that was a roadway and the boats were cars the other driver would be charged with vehicular manslaughter.

I agree with the posters who say there should be a limit. You can't really use the pleasure boats as an excuse not to because yes they are idiots beyond belief but so are a lot of you tourney guys. Also they usually are going at half the speed of a bass boat. Also they aren't all worried about getting to the next spot before someone else or as mad when someone else is there or cuts them off and they aren't racing the clock to hurry up and get so much done before a certain time.

Now take a piece of paper and draw a circle on it then make 400 dots inside the circle and do the same on another sheet but only put 200 dots. Then imagine those dots traveling crazy like all over the place... which one is going to have more dots cross paths?

It's basic common sense and amazing people argue against it. It is amazing there aren't more accidents but thats no excuse for the no limit theory.

Sometimes you guys need to put your pride away.. I don't care how fast your boat is. (you ever notice how when a bass boat approaches another boat it speeds up). My boat goes 16mph an I bet I actually get to enjoy more fishing than the speed demons.

This isn't too piss you off but some people on here live in fantasy land and just because you live in fantasy land doesn't mean that you have the right to endanger other people.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mhall View Post
    Too many boats and too many tourneys going on at the same time. I feel for these folk's families. Go ahead and flame me I don't care, these tournament numbers are completely out of hand, way to many boats even for the twin lakes.
    I'll second that