Search Fishin.com

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fatal boat wreck on Barkley this morning

Quote Originally Posted by elnutsmalljaws View Post
    Even if you register 150 and only 80 show up, that would still be over the 50 boat minimum that I suggested must be registered. As far as Paris goes, I remember KVD fishing just outside of Kentucky Dam Marina in the 2009 Elite that was launched from Paris. Visa versa, I remember in the spring of 2008 when the water was about 4 feet over summer pool and I think it was the Fishers of Men that took out of The Moores and the guy that won it fished down near Paris Landing. Plus any Big Tourneys out of Ken Lake could have boat running south as those from Paris running north. Even staggering these by a half hour would get the major running out of the way early. I just think the bigger tournaments with a large number of boats in them could be scheduled with staggered start times. You take guys fishing for money, guys that are trying to get to their best spot to start the day, guys that come to lakes from out of state or lakes that they are not familiar with and then throw in all these boats getting launched at the same time is a recipe for trouble. Throw in todays economic times where it is more important for guys to finish in the money to cover expenses and it makes it worse. nothing against tournament fishermen for they also bring in money to the economy around the lakes but there has to be a way to make it safer for all.
    Don't take what I said out of context though. Tourney going out of Paris, most are staying South. Heck, a lot of tourneys on North end go South these days. So when a lg.tourn reg. out of Paris, it won't effect the North very much, yes a few will come that way, but not many. And when talking about boat traffic, I am referring to the North end because that is where I fish.
    Last edited by ukbass; 10-16-2010 at 05:31 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

The tourney was Bass World Sports out of Jonathan Creek. As far as not considering Paris tournament, that is up to you...fact is there were other big tournaments so you can drop this now about: what other tournaments.

Post Thanks / Like

Lets remember that Kentucky & Barkley Lakes are very different lakes in October than they are in May and June. 800 Tx boats in June have considerably more safe water to run in than in october when the lake is close to winter pool. I live on and fish north Ky Lake. In the last 3 weeks I have watched two bassboats run aground off of North pt. of Jonathan Ck. because they were not familar with this lake at these elevations. If you would cross the main lake going from Jonathan Ck. to Rhodes Bay today about half way across in the middle of the lake you would see ""Old Blackie" sticking out of the water about 6". It's an old cyprus stump that has claimed many a lower unit over the years and it is a mile from any land. Take the boat lane across from Big Bear to LBL side and you might see a Blue Heron just standing there like I have many times this time of the year. This area is also a mile from any land. My point is folks when you put 800 Tx boats on these lakes in October its a different and much more dangerous lake and you are increasing the odds of boating accidents. The fatal accident was not caused by these conditions but they still exisit and are a danger particulary to people trying to get from one place to another in the shortess possible time.

HURRICANEBOB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bassin bruce View Post
    It is a miracle that there are not way more fatal accidents on the water during these big tournaments! The unsafe manner in which these fast boats are operated never ceases to amaze me. I no longer fish in these bigger tournaments. The ones I fish are usually less than 30 boats. Still, there are way too many dangerous practices happening. Everyone should learn to back off just a little. Your reaction time at 60mph is much greater than at 75. I have a tr20 with a 225, but rarely do I drive it all out. The 2 minutes fishing time I lose is well worth being safe and alive. My prayers go out to all involved in this tragic accident.
    I agree with ya. Acting follish and macho with a high powered boat gets your just deserts. That said, I don't wish ill of any one, but am a bit tired of being concerned for those that fail to take reasonable precautions to safeguard thier own welfare. Live fast die fast, enjoy it and leave it.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't understand why a director from any organization would come in late and sched. tourney when there are already several on the board. But we had 9 boats in our CAST tourn. today, small I know, but we did sign up two new members and about half of the guys that were there said they new someone who would join next year. We had a great devotion and prayer time before we took off. And I sure am glad nobody told us that we couldn't fish today. I still think that would be wrong. Just about everyone on here has agreed that this accident didn't happen because of too many boats. But had it not happened, we would't even be having this conversation. Which is why I chose to get in on this in the first place.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ukbass View Post
    I don't understand why a director from any organization would come in late and sched. tourney when there are already several on the board. But we had 9 boats in our CAST tourn. today, small I know, but we did sign up two new members and about half of the guys that were there said they new someone who would join next year. We had a great devotion and prayer time before we took off. And I sure am glad nobody told us that we couldn't fish today. I still think that would be wrong. Just about everyone on here has agreed that this accident didn't happen because of too many boats. But had it not happened, we would't even be having this conversation. Which is why I chose to get in on this in the first place.
    You completely refuse to see the point and quite frankly you're the kind of boater that scares the sh*t outta me because you refuse to see the problems or think them thru and you just won't get off this "how many boats" or "speed" thing and that's really not the issue which is a combination of everything involved in a tourney. And comments like you can't count Paris because they aren't where you are... wtf???? seriously??? Boats on a lake means just that not "boats on a lake = boats where you are".

Is it just speed thats the issue? no
    Is it to many boats? no

What it is that you combine those 2 with the mindset and actions that a tourney brings on and you start up a storm. A tourney boater out there IS NOT DRIVING OR ACTING like a normal boater. Maybe you can handle it just fine but do you understand your actions can/will affect the other boaters and their reactions? When you guys are blasting out and whipping around blind corners and coming up on other boats who don't know what you are doing or your intentions they can react incorrectly and cause accidents as well. I could careless if you hit a stump or a wall so long as it's just you and not an innocent person(s).

Just because you are in a tournament doesn't give you more rights to the lake then anyone else, actually it should make you have more responsibility. Even most tourney fishers will admit it's an issue and a lot of people quit fishing tourneys because of it so whether or not you want to admit it, it obviously is an issue.

I liken it to sticking a group of alpha male teen-age boys in a ***** house.. first come first served, which really it is just that.

Or how about this example.

The lake is an electronics store and most everyday you can walk thru it and weave in and out of people just fine but it's a relatively controlled situation. Of course there is the occasional idiot who cuts people off and whips around isles and causes other shoppers to react. You could fill that store and it's still kind of mellow.

Now take that store on Black Friday with massive sales and what happens? (liken this to a tournament).
    You've got people running, cutting off others to get to the good stuff first, people getting mad, adrenaline is bursting, tempers are flaring and the pace is considerably sped up and you have this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnyRm6htkPY.
    A few crazy shoppers is tolerable but the more crazy shoppers you have the greater the chance of disaster. Sure you could have disaster with only 2 shoppers or 1 shopper running thru isles as fast as they can and discovering a neck high wire (that fell from ceiling and got stuck across isle) after they'd gone thru it and now head isn't on body. Anyone with half a brain should be able to understand that.

The more people there the greater chance you have for things to go wrong.. it's simple common sense... nothing more, nothing less

Did speed cause the crash? well maybe
    Did the number of boats cause the crash? well maybe

What if the the other driver had gotten rattled before the crash somewhere between the launching pad and there from speeding boats or getting caught between multiple speeding boats or a near accident and his mind was racing trying to do too much and was too panicked to notice the oncoming boat until last sec and then instinctively turned left instead of right because it came down to a reaction instead of thinking.

This is where classes could come in handy. Remember when you got your DL(well those under 40) and you had to have so many hours in the simulator. A boat simulator would be good so you'd have at least a few "safe" runs to install that quick reaction.

Remember driving a boat is like driving in england and everything is backwards from a car here so of course people are going to react wrong.. hell I do all the time.

I'm not a tourney hater but it pisses me off when you all apparently have the right to blast by me and screw up my fishing so that you can shave 3 seconds on a run. If I saw you fishing a ledge (hopefully the fishing is good but fish are spooky) and I decided to run full blast 10 feet from you and push you into the rocks and/or put the fish off... you're gunna completely sh*t yourself. So now you have reg boaters getting pissed and possibly trying to "return the favor" and again the more this happens from more tourney boats the more reg boats start acting like tourney boaters. So now you have 1100 crazy boats running and 300 pissed off non-tourney boats out for revenge.. I can go on and on.. it's the way it is.

This isn't to all tourney fishers just the idiots.

Post Thanks / Like

This horse has been beaten to death. I am locking the thread.

Grumpy