Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Distance-braid vs mono

Anybody have some input?

With a spinning reel distance being the most important thing, line twist second---would I get much more distance with 6lb diameter 20lb braid vs 14 lb mono.

Thanks
    Poster from cell phone -- Peter

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Distance-braid vs mono

braid

Post Thanks / Like

I think you get better distance & fewer line twist problems with braid like Fireline.

Post Thanks / Like

I've tried both and using the braid will DEFINATELY get you more distance esoecially when compared to 14lb test

Post Thanks / Like

Since they came out with braid, I have not used anything but braid on my spinning rods/reels. I get much better distance; a whole lot less tangles; and little or no line twist.

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peter View Post
    Anybody have some input?

With a spinning reel distance being the most important thing, line twist second---would I get much more distance with 6lb diameter 20lb braid vs 14 lb mono.

Thanks
    Poster from cell phone -- Peter

Thanks everybody. Nice to have a place where when you have a question you can go and get the right answer. I can go buy my braid with confidence.
    Take care.

Post Thanks / Like

I was a mono guy my whole life up until a couple years ago when I tried some Power Pro on one of my spinning rods. Needless to say, they all now have Power Pro on them and I couldn't be happier. Much better distance with comparable weight as well as benefits when trying to get a lure to dive deeper due to the smaller diameter and different material and another huge difference I've noticed is the sensitivity. With virtually no stretch to it, it transfers even the most subtle vibrations and bites. Certainly worth the extra money in my opinion and the visibility of the line is easily combatted by running a 4-6' Flouro leader to your lure or bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LeFaive View Post
    I was a mono guy my whole life up until a couple years ago when I tried some Power Pro on one of my spinning rods. Needless to say, they all now have Power Pro on them and I couldn't be happier. Much better distance with comparable weight as well as benefits when trying to get a lure to dive deeper due to the smaller diameter and different material and another huge difference I've noticed is the sensitivity. With virtually no stretch to it, it transfers even the most subtle vibrations and bites. Certainly worth the extra money in my opinion and the visibility of the line is easily combatted by running a 4-6' Flouro leader to your lure or bait.
    I'm a mono guy myself and have been considering braided. I take it your not talking about the spider type lines? As I have heard stories of how it will rub grooves in you rod eyes. And impossible to break line. I fish fast flowing waters by boat,canoe or kayak. When you hang up you have to get back up stream as quickley as possible to try to retreive lure. If current to swift you need to be able to break line quickly as to miminize line lost. Thats why I haven't made the switch. Any imput. I to like Peter said deal with a lot of line twist and change line just about every time I go out. I fish with 6 lb. mono test.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by coombro View Post
    I'm a mono guy myself and have been considering braided. I take it your not talking about the spider type lines? As I have heard stories of how it will rub grooves in you rod eyes. And impossible to break line. I fish fast flowing waters by boat,canoe or kayak. When you hang up you have to get back up stream as quickley as possible to try to retreive lure. If current to swift you need to be able to break line quickly as to miminize line lost. Thats why I haven't made the switch. Any imput. I to like Peter said deal with a lot of line twist and change line just about every time I go out. I fish with 6 lb. mono test.
    You need mono leader and remember braid really float well

Post Thanks / Like

Great idea thanks. I'll try it and definatly save some $$.

Post Thanks / Like

I use braid from 8/1 to 30/8 on almost all my tackle now. Even have some 100 lb test on my lure retriever. No stretch, greater distance, good long distance hook sets, and no or little memory.Once you get used to it, and how to avoid wind knots with the very light stuff, you'll never go back.I like flouro leaders in very clear water like dale,and a heavy mono on mt spinner baits and buzzers because it is stiff and handles loop eyes better.But it will cut you bad so have a line wrap of some kind for snags.

Post Thanks / Like

one other thing, after a couple of months of hard fishing, turn it end to end, some of the braid on my reels is probably 3 or more years old, and still as strong as new. I hate fireline.