Search Fishin.com

Thread: Livewell help

Post Thanks / Like

Livewell help

Didn't know if I needed to post this here or in the boat section, so if it needs moved please feel free.

I have a 2003 Nitro 750 with a single aerated livewell. My question is, I can't keep water in the well and it is really slow to fill. I can fill it to the top and within five minutes it will be almost empty. I know I need to keep fresh water coming in every 5 to 10 minutes and I am getting a timer to take care of that but it won't hold the water in. I have flipped the switch by the control panel from auto to empty and every other way you can think of. I checked the valve in the back and it seems to be connected and moving the flap. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Livewell help

My partner had a similar problem, his would'nt hold water, kept kicking the bilge pump on, he fould some loose screws, that hold the lip down, on top of his live well, he re-tightened them, and used some lock-tight, it pretty much solved the problem. However, if yous is slow to fill, and is not holding water, it sould like it may be in the fill and drain hoses.
    Filling it up with a water hose, put some food coloring in the water, look for leaks in 5-10 mins.... Tr

Post Thanks / Like

My buddy's Nitro Z-7 has a plug that HAS to be in the bottom of the livewell inorder for it to hold water.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

I had a similar problem twice -- it turned out to be different problem each time.

Put the plug in and fill it with water with a hose. It "should" hold water at the full level. If it starts leaking, you should be able to see where.

With mine, the leaks were two different situations.

One time the overflow hose had cracked and it was leaking from the overflow hose into the bilge area. In the situation it drained to the level of the overflow hose.

The other time the aireator (sp) broke and was letting the water back out after it stopped pumping. I am guessing there is a one-way valve in them to allow water to come in, but not out. In this case the water just came out the intake hole in the hull. That one required a new aireator (sp, again).

If it is not one of these two situations, it also could be the valve that controls the drain ---- you should have a drain hole near the bottom of the livewell. Plug that and see if it stops the leak. If so, the leak is in the drain control system somewhere.

Finally, if it's not any of these, let's hope the livewell is not cracked somewhere. But you should be able to find that also when you plug all the different ways the water can normally get in or out.

If it is something else you should be able to see where the leak is.

Hopefully these ideas help, good luck,

Jeff