Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sauger

Post Thanks / Like

sauger

Anyone caught any sauger yet in the Ohio? it was 68 degrees yesterday ,we vertical jigged the hydro and didn't get anything ? They finally turned a unit on.And of course after I left the hybrids moved in ,My buddies Don and Kevin did pretty good on them for a while , and then what did they do? Turned the one unit off !!! and the bite stopped .

When the water hits 60 we should start getting some jax salmon

onemorecast56 Guest

Re: sauger

Quote Originally Posted by jfw View Post
    Anyone caught any sauger yet in the Ohio? it was 68 degrees yesterday ,we vertical jigged the hydro and didn't get anything ? They finally turned a unit on.And of course after I left the hybrids moved in ,My buddies Don and Kevin did pretty good on them for a while , and then what did they do? Turned the one unit off !!! and the bite stopped .

When the water hits 60 we should start getting some jax salmon
    Man WHEN are we going,,,we`ll take my boat,,,we talk about it alot now lets do it,,,you pick the day and time...lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by onemorecast56 View Post
    Man WHEN are we going,,,we`ll take my boat,,,we talk about it alot now lets do it,,,you pick the day and time...lol
    Doug man I am sorry ....we will go soon I am out of commision next week cause I gotta take care of my dad ,he is staying with us for a week and he is 80 and getting pretty bad but the week after that is open .Lets plan for then. How bout the Monday the 25th .I gotta get my kid at 2:45 so I can only fish until 2 .You got my number so gimme a call ole buddy

I am wondering if those smallies have moved the dishcharge yet ,you know where I am talking about.The water temp was 68-70 on thursday .I bet they wouldn't mind some 80 degree water . I know the shad would be there ... don;t you think

Hey Chuck have you been doing anygood .I am gonna post a question in a sec about the lock wall see if you know the answer

onemorecast56 Guest

don`t think i can man,,,my son Doug and the crew are going to nolin for the weekend till that monday,,,,well dam,,,,ok,,,,we`ll get together soon,,or down at nolin,,,,

Post Thanks / Like

The sauger should be slowly making their way towards the dams now that the water temp is below 70. However they will stay fairly deep and hold several hundred yards from the dams until water temps drop into the mid to upper 40's-low 50's. These temps trigger the feeding frenzy in preparation for the upcoming winter. On average the feeding frenzy start early november and will actually continue well into the winter before dying down and picking back up in late feb-early march. I will be heading for the river in mid-november in search of my favorite gamefish. If you get there before I do, please post your success. AND SAVE SOME SAUGER FOR ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

onemorecast56 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SAUGERDADDY View Post
    The sauger should be slowly making their way towards the dams now that the water temp is below 70. However they will stay fairly deep and hold several hundred yards from the dams until water temps drop into the mid to upper 40's-low 50's. These temps trigger the feeding frenzy in preparation for the upcoming winter. On average the feeding frenzy start early november and will actually continue well into the winter before dying down and picking back up in late feb-early march. I will be heading for the river in mid-november in search of my favorite gamefish. If you get there before I do, please post your success. AND SAVE SOME SAUGER FOR ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hey there Daddy, yeah JFW and I have been fishing the river for ever,,,well don`t know about Jay but I`ve been fishing it for over 35 yrs,,,I`ve seen how they run in a 7 yr cylce down here in the Mcalpine pool,,,2 yrs ago it was at the top,,caught the (&%$&^*OO out of them and then last yr it was almost dead,,seen this happen a number of times,,don`t know why but it does,,so we are on the up swing,,we`re just wishin they would come on,,,need to stock my freezer...lol I guided down there for a number of yrs for the sauger,stripers and big cats,,,but it`s only going to get better and better,,,if you ever want to come down here and try them out,,I`m always looking for people to tag along,,,

Doug

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't seen or heard of anyone catching them at Newburgh or Evansville yet. But the stripes, and hrbrids are on fire right now. Same with the white bass.

Post Thanks / Like

Has anybody ever fished away from the dams from the bank for sauger? I had a guy tell me he catches a lot of sauger on this one stretch of beach about 3 miles from cannelton dam. I had never heard of anybody fishing away from the dams for them, but I might try this spot one day after work just to see if it is true.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rudypoo4444 View Post
    Has anybody ever fished away from the dams from the bank for sauger? I had a guy tell me he catches a lot of sauger on this one stretch of beach about 3 miles from cannelton dam. I had never heard of anybody fishing away from the dams for them, but I might try this spot one day after work just to see if it is true.
    Yea........I've got some places down by levenworth that I have fished and caught sauger. Also, the mouths of pretty much any creek with some decent depth will hold sauger moving up.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rudypoo4444 View Post
    I'd bet its true. Sauger are known to cruise the beaches especially if there is a change in the bottom (such as rocks) nearby and deeper water to escape to. These areas will produce great catches at night also.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by onemorecast56 View Post
    Hey there Daddy, yeah JFW and I have been fishing the river for ever,,,well don`t know about Jay but I`ve been fishing it for over 35 yrs,,,I`ve seen how they run in a 7 yr cylce down here in the Mcalpine pool,,,2 yrs ago it was at the top,,caught the (&%$&^*OO out of them and then last yr it was almost dead,,seen this happen a number of times,,don`t know why but it does,,so we are on the up swing,,we`re just wishin they would come on,,,need to stock my freezer...lol I guided down there for a number of yrs for the sauger,stripers and big cats,,,but it`s only going to get better and better,,,if you ever want to come down here and try them out,,I`m always looking for people to tag along,,,

Doug
    Ill have to take you up on the offer one day. Been hard to find time lately, Workin too much. I've notice that the amount of rain and the timing makes alot of difference on where and when sauger will show their faces. I hope we get a decent amount of rainfall (not all at once) before the cold really sets in. This may get the sauger into those easy to reach places. P.S. Wish I had your job (guiding). That would be livin the life.

onemorecast56 Guest

well i went to the river tonight,,had a ball,,,but i caught 2 nice sauger back to back,,some nice stripes and a few drum,,,,