Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Right to Hunt, Fish Issue on Ballot

This is an article that appeared in our local newspaper and I thought you would find it interesting. Over the past several years, I think PETA has been laying the groundwork to try and stop all hunting and fishing. This gives sportsmen the opportunity to have their voices heard.

(From The Associated Press)
    CHATTANOOGA -- Tennessee voters will decide whether there should be a constitutional guarantee to hunt and fish.

State Sen. Bo Watson, a Hixson Republican, told the Chattanooga Times Free Press he co-sponsored the ballot initiative because he wants to see the right to take game embedded in the constitution where government couldn't infringe upon it.

If the issue is approved Nov. 2, a right to hunt and fish would be guaranteed as are such rights as trial by jury and bearing arms.

Ashley Byrne of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals calls the proposed amendment frivolous and asked why not guarantee the right to shop and golf.

A national federal survey shows the number of people hunting and fishing in Tennessee has declined since 2001 and some people worry that the long-presumed right could be taken away.

Arizona, Arkansas, and South Carolina are also asking voters on Nov. 2, whether to establish a constitutional right to hunt and fish.

Ten other states already have such a right, including Georgia, which passed a similar measure in 2006, and Alabama, which passed the rule in 1996.

"People sort of understand it and know it, but without it being a part of the actual framework of the constitution, it leaves open the opportunity for the government to infringe on people's rights to hunt and fish," Watson said.

State officials say the higher cost of hunting and fishing is one reason for the decline, along with places to do it, available time and lack of interest among young people.

"You get to a certain point and, if you have not participated in the outdoors hunting, fishing, camping, and biking you might not ever do it," said Tony Dolle, of Ducks Unlimited.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Right to Hunt, Fish Issue on Ballot

I hope it gets passed in every state. How could they take away such a great past time as living off the land as all our fore fathers did years ago... Hunt and fish to feed your families if that's the only way to put food on the table for your families....

Cause that's exactly what i'd be doin if i needed meat to eat.....

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Right to Hunt, Fish Issue on Ballot

Quote Originally Posted by MsgMills View Post
    I hope it gets passed in every state. How could they take away such a great past time as living off the land as all our fore fathers did years ago... Hunt and fish to feed your families if that's the only way to put food on the table for your families....

Cause that's exactly what i'd be doin if i needed meat to eat.....
    Amen Clyde...................................