Search Fishin.com

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Shepherdsville
    Posts
    968
    Post Thanks / Like

    Catching Trout in Lake???

    OK, local lake is being stocked with 2000 trout on Tuesday. I have NO distance yet in my casts, and am sure i will be out there with a whole bunch of guys fishin with corn on a hook...

    Any suggestions on how to catch me a trout with the flyrod in this situation??? I have a few wooly buggers, streamers, poppers... you know beginneres stuff... is the olive wooly bug the best option???

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Catching Trout in Lake???

    Couple of quick questions -
    1- what weight sized rod?
    2- what type of line is on it (ie wf/dt/level)?
    3- what type of rod is it graphite or glass?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Shepherdsville
    Posts
    968
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Catching Trout in Lake???

    it is a pflueger 5/6 wt beginner rod with i believe 5wt wf floating line...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Catching Trout in Lake???

    Quote Originally Posted by walkeraviator View Post
    it is a pflueger 5/6 wt beginner rod with i believe 5wt wf floating line...
    Personally what I would do is try to get a 7wt wf cortland fairplay line first. To me all starter rods seem to be under rated.
    Next thing i would do is to get some white weighted and unweighted wholly buggers in sizes 8 through 12's.
    I'd go check out Basspro and Dicks right next to it over in Indiana.
    Also I'd watch a lot of roll casting videos over at youtube. Won't get much distance but the casting will be a lot better and once you get the hang of it you will gain the distance. Plus with rollcasting it's been my experence you won't get hung up on anything behind....plus it keeps the bait chunkers away

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Shepherdsville
    Posts
    968
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Catching Trout in Lake???

    Actually my roll casting is much better than any of my other casts... if i false cast it seems i get the fly out pretty good, but when i actually cast the fly falls shorts with a bunch of slack in front of me...

    I actually have a white wooly bugger unweighted on the recommendation of the guy at teh bass pro fly shop... and i doubt my rod being under rated... its a freakin noodle...

    i intend to buy an 8wt 9ft rod in the near future for bass fishin...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Shepherdsville
    Posts
    5,596
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Catching Trout in Lake???

    Quote Originally Posted by walkeraviator View Post
    Actually my roll casting is much better than any of my other casts... if i false cast it seems i get the fly out pretty good, but when i actually cast the fly falls shorts with a bunch of slack in front of me...

    I actually have a white wooly bugger unweighted on the recommendation of the guy at teh bass pro fly shop... and i doubt my rod being under rated... its a freakin noodle...

    i intend to buy an 8wt 9ft rod in the near future for bass fishin...

    Your problem with the fly falling short sounds to me like you are not pausing right before sitting the fly on the water. When you are on the final down stroke, hesitate for just a split second and then finish the down stroke. That may help.

    Even if your rod is not underrated, it will load much better with a heavier size line. On my small stream rods I always load them a size heavier line because you can get it to load quicker and with less line which is imoportant when trying to backcast in tight quarters. Of course it still doesn't keep my from leaving flies in rhododendron bushes in the Smokies!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bromley Beach
    Posts
    434
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Catching Trout in Lake???

    Tim is absolutely right and it is something everyone does starting out and will continue to do when they get cold, tired, aggravated, or just fed up with the vegetation. Once the rod has unloaded all that forward moving kinetic energy, you can actually feel it happening, you have to slow down. You want to have your rod tip down, semi-parallel to the water, just when your fly touches down. Kind of follow your fly down with your rod tip. To accomplish this you will have to slow it down, or pause (recommended). Next time you are watching someone cast take a second and observe it, I'm a visual learner, it helped me.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    BOWLING GREEN, KY
    Posts
    2,196
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Catching Trout in Lake???

    Quote Originally Posted by walkeraviator View Post
    OK, local lake is being stocked with 2000 trout on Tuesday. I have NO distance yet in my casts, and am sure i will be out there with a whole bunch of guys fishin with corn on a hook...

    Any suggestions on how to catch me a trout with the flyrod in this situation??? I have a few wooly buggers, streamers, poppers... you know beginneres stuff... is the olive wooly bug the best option???
    We have a similar situation that occurs here in BG with the stocking of 3 Springs lake. One thing that I have found from stocking the elusive stocked trout for many years () is that they love to rise, especially in lakes. What I do, if I'm fishing from the shore, is I will walk around the bank looking for rises....once I spot one, I will cast my dry w/dropper setup at it. If you land anywhere near the rise, you more than likely will catch the fish. Good dries to use for that setup are Wulffs, Renegades, terrestrials...pretty much any larger dry that you can see well on the surface since you will be using it mainly as a strike indicator for your dropper fly. Stocked trout LOVE beadhead anything! So for the dropper, utilize a bh pheasant tail or bh hares ear around a size 14 or so. Give yourself around 3 feet of tippet between the two flies.

    Idealy, if you can get out in the water on a canoe or little jon boat, you can fish more effectively with bh buggers or the same dry w/dropper setup. BH white buggers are good for stockers, as well as the usuals...brown, black, and olive. If you are going to fish a bugger, don't forget to tie on a dropper 12" behind it...something like a #12 bh hares ear. Very effective.

    I third what the Tim & the Colonel said about casting. You'll get the hang of it. Good luck!

    -Rich

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Shepherdsville
    Posts
    968
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Catching Trout in Lake???

    Tried Tom Wallace out yesterday. Spent more tme being frustrated than fishing. My leader had so much freakin memory my tippet got all tangled up with it, then lost my only white bugger... called it quit before i chunked my rod in teh lake....

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bromley Beach
    Posts
    434
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Catching Trout in Lake???

    Sorry to hear that. I'll be back up that way after E-day and will be looking to put in some stream time. Otter Creek just got 1,000 rainbows on the base and they usually put some browns in sometime around this time, though I'm not really sure where those go in. Am aiming to be in the water on Sunday November 7th if you wanted to fish we could meet up at the hunt control office or something. Can't remember if you are the fella who was posting questions about the creek last winter/spring but we will be almost guaranteed to catch some trout if not you are guaranteed to get some good hook setting practice on some greedy chubs. Will go to Red River Gorge soon after that if anyone is interested in that.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    BOWLING GREEN, KY
    Posts
    2,196
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Catching Trout in Lake???

    Quote Originally Posted by walkeraviator View Post
    Tried Tom Wallace out yesterday. Spent more tme being frustrated than fishing. My leader had so much freakin memory my tippet got all tangled up with it, then lost my only white bugger... called it quit before i chunked my rod in teh lake....
    Sorry to hear that....when your leader has memory in it, try running it through a straightner...which is a tool every FFer should have for such occasions. Basically, it is just two pieces of leather that clips onto your vest...you just place the leader embetween the two pieces and pinch them together as you pull the leader through....it willl straighten your leader right out! Very handy, especially when you have had your leader wound up in your reel for an extended period of time. Hang in there.....you will lose thousands, if not millions of flies in the future...just part of the gig, lol. That's why all FFers eventually start tying their own flies, lol! To expensive to buy flies at the rate you lose them, haha. Take care!

    -Rich

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bromley Beach
    Posts
    434
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Catching Trout in Lake???

    Quote Originally Posted by RICHYD4U View Post
    Sorry to hear that....when your leader has memory in it, try running it through a straightner...which is a tool every FFer should have for such occasions. Basically, it is just two pieces of leather that clips onto your vest...you just place the leader embetween the two pieces and pinch them together as you pull the leader through....it willl straighten your leader right out! Very handy, especially when you have had your leader wound up in your reel for an extended period of time. Hang in there.....you will lose thousands, if not millions of flies in the future...just part of the gig, lol. That's why all FFers eventually start tying their own flies, lol! To expensive to buy flies at the rate you lose them, haha. Take care!

    -Rich
    Seconded.

Similar Threads

  1. Trout on Laurel Lake
    By wags in forum Kentucky Discussion Board
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-01-2010, 03:16 PM
  2. Lebanon city Lake to get Trout
    By peter in forum Kentucky Discussion Board
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-07-2010, 04:46 PM
  3. Catching stripers on C-lake???
    By RICHYD4U in forum Kentucky Discussion Board
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-19-2008, 08:54 PM
  4. Catching any Crappie at Green river lake
    By cblazer in forum Kentucky Discussion Board
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-27-2008, 02:29 PM
  5. Trout on KY Lake
    By EtecRanger205 in forum Kentucky Discussion Board
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-14-2007, 11:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •