Search Fishin.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Keeping Bait?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Keeping Bait?

It's my understanding that Clorine will disipate if water is left sitting for a while. Also that you can boil it out. I haven't heard that it during a freeze but if the movement of water as it sits, or is boiled removes it, I would think some or all would disipate when frozen. Strictly an opinion on a guess.

I think they have O2 generators now that work like pumps, similar to porterable generators used in the medical field.

You can also get non salt additives that are suppose to work as well as salt with those water O2 generators. I've never tried them, I do have some, but I don't know for sure if they work. Old dog new trick.. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

the air pump is a "pro air" with dual air lines. i cant remember the name of the flexible air wands but i got them at pet smart. i pull the hoses off the boat mounted 12V pump and stick them on the 110 household aquarium air pump when im not on the water.
    im no expert on the oygenators and the non-salt water additives but i read really mixed feedback on these things, they seem expensive to me.....and at the end of the day i'm keeping bait just fine so i havent had any need to try anything else. but if you spend the money i will be glad to learn from your experience....hahaha

Post Thanks / Like

After doing some studying on this I ordered the pro air yesterday. I'll check out the pet smart wands. I know the defuser is one of the most important things. Here's a tip on what I do to save drawing my battery while I am docked and charging. I have an old cheapy auto 12 volt charger in my compartment next to my dual charger. I have a battery switch mounted close to my bait tank. One side of the switch is connected to my aux battery and the other side is connected to the old charger. When I dock, I plug in the surge protector both chargers are plugged in to and I flip the switch. My 12 volt load (currently my tank pump) is switched to the old charger which essentially becomes a power supply. I wouldn't run any electronics off it, but it does fine for 12 v motors. I'll run my air pump the same way. I used to use a 12 volt relay but it was a pain when the relay blew. I probably just needed to go with a higher current relay but the switch works great.

I've thought about it and I may modify my filter to not output a heavy stream so it doesn't create a lot of motion, then just turn it on when needed. It's all mounted above the water, and I can easily change it so the water flow is reduced and just drops an inch straight down. All I have to do to keep the water from jetting out is to turn the pump a little. If I ever have air pump issues, I can always just turn the pump around to jet out like it does now..

Thanks a bunch for the tips. It all makes perfect sense if you've ever ran a regular aquarium before.