Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

KY and Barkley are handing me the SMACKDOWN.

This has been a pretty slow start for us. Over the Past 4 days, Friday - Monday, we are only averaging about 15 bass a day and only have 2 keepers out of the lot.

Yesterday (Monday) was a FANTASTIC looking day for fishing, but we simply could not find them.

The guys where I'm staying also struggled with only 1 boat catching more than a dozen or so fish besides us.

I'm hoping this weather change coming in gets something started.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

Re: KY and Barkley are handing me the SMACKDOWN.

Hey geo we just got back from there and did allright keeper wise the only thing they would hit for us is topwater zara spooks ,sammys and topwater wee baits with a prop on the back on the windiest banks in the cuts there not in the back yet not nearly half way. good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Geo, You guys have a tough time frame for sure with the weather dealt. The warm, high pressure days we have had for a while have slowed things down and the high winds are never fun on the big lakes. But also it seems the fish still have not come up in numbers like they will when things cool down further. Like 863 noted I have done well on surface baits this time of the year when it seems they didn't want to touch anything else -- even in the middle of the day on a sunny day. Main lake flats and points / flats half to 2/3 back in the bays can be very interesting. Further another lure that I have done really well on starting now on into the colder weather are smaller suspending jerk baits. Pointers are my favorites - 78s and smaller but have used some Daiwa lures this year with some success too. Again I don't think the fish have moved shallow big yet but focus on the areas were the shad are congregating in the bays / main lake flats to find the ones that have moved up. South Barkley is always an interesting angle with the winds up and things starting there first. I hope things will settle down for you and you guys can get into some good fish. This change in the weather may perk them up. I hope to get away and chase them myself this weekend...

kc

Post Thanks / Like

Try Kentucky Lake;

Ginger Bay and Byrd Bay, start fishing 1/2 way back and work all the way back to the end.

Usually an afternoon bite is better.

Use smaller sized rattletraps and small square bill crankbaits. Presentation is "burn it". And I mean burn it, smoke it and it will start a frenzy. Once you get them fired up, the bass and white bass get real competetive, and it will be every cast until you wear them out.

Then go to the next bay. I have found some bays with an old road bed in them are even better. They follow that road bed like they are drivin a car.

Work the bays on the east side of the lake, seems the afternoon light has an effect on the bite.

ole top

Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys, just got back from kentucky and barkley. Fished Kenlake tuesday after the storm went through which was about noon. Went into Vickers Bay first and found fish on the south side of the bay secondary point and back . The bank on this side are steeper and had 2 smallmouth and 1 largemouth on football jigs. Caught 3 more on shakey heads. Left there and went into Jonathans Creek with no luck until we went to the bridge in the back and caught 10 Largemouth on Red Eye rattle traps 1/2 and 3/4 ounce in white/black back and chrome sexy shad. Fished Barkley today had several Largemouth and 3 smallmouth with only 1 keeper. Most of the fish came from Terapain Bay all the way in the back. The wind had thousands of bait fished pushed back into a foot of water and the Largemouth and Stripe was having a feeding frenzy. We caught most on rattle traps chrome sexy shad and a few on flukes. The big fish have still not moved up but it want be long. Hope this helps !!!!!