Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Barren or Nolin?

Going to slip out tomorrow morning, but am unsure as to where to go? I've been spending the last month chasing stripers on CL, so I have lost touch with my usual lakes. I'm leaning towards Barren, maybe try for some hybrid action, then switch to LMs....anybody doing well on either one there? I hate to not go to my Nolin...love that place...but I haven't been to Barren all year, and I usually do fairly well there in the fall. Just looking for some input and current reports that may help me make a decision by tomorrow am, thanks guys.

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Barren or Nolin?

Fished Nolin today from daybreak to 4. Was real slow most of the day, then got into several LM & white bass throwing rattle traps around the mouth of rock creek.

Talked to some crappie fishermen in dog creek that were giving up the brush piles because they couldn't keep the bass off their minnows.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ckline2006 View Post
    Fished Nolin today from daybreak to 4. Was real slow most of the day, then got into several LM & white bass throwing rattle traps around the mouth of rock creek.

Talked to some crappie fishermen in dog creek that were giving up the brush piles because they couldn't keep the bass off their minnows.
    Thankyou for the report. Were you hitting the banks with the rattletraps or out a ways? Thanks again....you are leaning me towards Nolin.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't been to Barren to comment on it but was at Nolin Sunday. I would suggest going there. Some big fish were loaded on main lake wind blown flats. Had 5 keepers that would have went 18 lbs with a big girl weighing in at 7.5 lbs. We caught probably 30 fish all together. Things may have changed though since the storms yesterday though. Good luck and don't be afraid to throw shallow

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DRob3382 View Post
    I haven't been to Barren to comment on it but was at Nolin Sunday. I would suggest going there. Some big fish were loaded on main lake wind blown flats. Had 5 keepers that would have went 18 lbs with a big girl weighing in at 7.5 lbs. We caught probably 30 fish all together. Things may have changed though since the storms yesterday though. Good luck and don't be afraid to throw shallow
    Yes....I saw that big girl you caught, very nice. Alright....I'm REALLY leaning towards Nolin. I don't know why I ever think of going anywhere else, lol! Thanks.

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RICHYD4U View Post
    Going to slip out tomorrow morning, but am unsure as to where to go? I've been spending the last month chasing stripers on CL, so I have lost touch with my usual lakes. I'm leaning towards Barren, maybe try for some hybrid action, then switch to LMs....anybody doing well on either one there? I hate to not go to my Nolin...love that place...but I haven't been to Barren all year, and I usually do fairly well there in the fall. Just looking for some input and current reports that may help me make a decision by tomorrow am, thanks guys.

-Rich
    psst nolin......psssst buzz bait

Post Thanks / Like

For the most part they were very shallow. All but 3 fish came out of 4ft of water or less. The other 3 were in less than 10ft. We caught about 10 less than 18 inches off the bank.

Both of us threw buzzbaits for the first 90 minutes of daylight with no luck at all. Crankbaits, spinners, and plastics didn't produce either. All the fish came on rattle traps and kastmasters.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys...looks like I'll be going to Nolin in the am. I'll be sure to report back on how I do.

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Let me know how you do when you get home this evening. Was plannin on hittin Barren in the morning,k but may go the Nolin route of you guys are doin good. I need to get off Barren some, I keep going back because of my knowledge of teh lake, but i keep tellin myself i will never learn Nolin or Rough the way my Dad used to know em unless i fish em.

Post Thanks / Like

My fourth trip to barren was another wash.Launched at beaver, fished secondary and main points, fished wash outs, deep banks, shallow points.I know cold fronts put the mhurt on clear lakes, but with the front, and draw down,I'm thinking maybe I'm at tyhe point that bass fishing just isn't as much fun asit used to be. Buzz baits, spinner baits, jerk baits, deep cranks shallow cranks, not a hit. Saving my energy for next week at GRL, and maybe another musky.

Post Thanks / Like

Check my report thread guys....thanks again for the advice.

-Rich