Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Fresh water eels?

When I was a kid, me and a buddy liked to fish the Elkhorn from a place we called "indian rock", (on the Cardome stretch) at night using nightcrawlers. During the late fall months, we would consistantly catch fresh water eels. The first time it happened, my buddy squeeled and danced because he thought he had a snake on the end of his line. Now, mind you, I was 15 then, I'm 46 now, and I've never seen (or caught one) in Ky waters since. If anyone has an eel story, I'd sure like to hear it. Thanks - Michael B.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fresh water eels?

I live on the Ohio River and we do a lot of fishing of the docks, the old man that lives next store to me said he caught one years ago that was every bit of 3 foot long. I'm still waiting on the day that I pull up one! They are out there.

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen Fresh water Jellyfish in Cave Run, but I've never seen a freshwater eel. I think there is the Chestnut Lamprey and the American Eel, that are found in KY.

Post Thanks / Like

It's been 25 years since I've caught one out of Elkhorn. They sure did put up a fight. I remember doing rock/paper/scissors with my brother, loser had to take it off the hook.

Post Thanks / Like

My buddy caught one last fall at Ky Lake. We fished the same point last week and caught a sauger,gar,largemouth,smallmouth,and what I think was a musky all on the same point (not the same day). We nicknamed it "anything" creek.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm fairly sure one was caught or snagged out of Dale Hollow either last year or the year before last. Someone posted a picture either here, LC.com or smalljaw.com, can't remember which site I saw it on.

Post Thanks / Like

We still have eels in our rivers and creeks but haven't caught one in quite sometime due to a change in fishing habits.Years ago would fish a night in
    Kinniconick Creek and Tygarts creek for catfish using earthworms and night crawlers for catfish and would catch quite a few three foot or so long.These eels live in both fresh and salt water.Live most of there life in fresh and when they mature return to saltwater to spawn and die.
    Jake

Post Thanks / Like

Great replys. Thanks guys!

Post Thanks / Like

I caught one out of the Ohio river years back. We were sauger fishing with minnows straight under the boat 10 or 12 feet deep and it was nearly dark when we got on a pretty good sauger bite. I had caught several in a row and in the cold water they weren't fighting too hard and I got in the rhythm of cranking them up quick and swinging them in quickly snatching them with my left hand. Then I swung one in, grabbed him with my left hand, and it proceeded to wrap it's tail around my wrist. I am pretty sure I squeeled like a little girl as that eel really caught me by surprise. It was about 20" long and that's the only one I have seen in the boat with me except for a few lampreys attached to fish...

kc

Post Thanks / Like

i can remember seeing my dad and granddad catch eels pretty regular here in the beech and rolling fork rivers,like late 70's,i was 7 or 8 then.waterdogs were pretty common too.always caught them on livers.oh they did eat the eels too..waterdogs got a stick in the head.

Post Thanks / Like

When I lived in WV for a while, I saw a dead fresh water eel washed up on the banks of the Kanawha River. This was about 8 years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I think that what most of our stories have in common, is that it has been years since we've come across one. Anybody seen an eel in the last couple years? Don't mean to beat this subject to death...just wondering.