Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

where does your lease end and my property begin?

Wow i expect this to be wildly unpopular but im still asking.....
    today we were shooting turkey guns on my dads farm when the guys from lexington that lease the neighboring farm pull in the drive and make small talk and politely askt for permission to turkey hunt...my dad politely tells them it is family only but feel free to stop by anytime for a cup of coffee (these guys seem very polite). then the talk turns to deer hunting and they talk about the feeders and trailcams theyve put up and what they would like to see walk. they asked my dad if we did any good so far this year and my dad tells them about the 9pt my son killed in youth season, and he tells them he shot a 4pt last year from the deck (my dad doesnt deer hunt, he shoots one from the deck or walks to the back fence ) i thought the visitors were going to cry....they said A 4 POINT?!?!?!?! and then go on to explain how we will never have any big deer if we dont let the little ones walk ( i ended up showing them all the racks from big bucks taken over the last 35 yrs or so- they stand corrected)
    the quandry here is this....my dad has been row-cropping this farm for 40 yrs , it is his property outright, not leased ground but his land deed and all.....how do you presume to have any right to stand in a landowners yard and tell him how to hunt HIS deer? when first of all he lives, works there year round for 40 years , provides more for the local wildlife on a year around basis than a feeder that is up for about 6 weeks?
    dont get me wrong i will always try to to shoot the biggest buck i have available to me and thismeans letting the young ones walk, but if my daughter is hunting with me shame on anything thats she takes a liking to.....and this is family business....nobody elses.
    please let me know what you think....i dont think my dad is in the wrong,but i welcome feedback, positive or negative

Post Thanks / Like

Re: where does your lease end and my property begin?

Your land, tell em if it's brown it's down

Post Thanks / Like

The property owner can do whatever he wishes within the laws and regulations of the state.

If a person wants to go catch a limit of smallmouth everyday and clean them and eat them, it is perfectly legal. If a man wants to fill his deer tags with small deer, it is perfectly legal too.

I don't think it matters whether you let a 4 pt. walk or not. Plus, the big record deer that are killed usually have better genes and better smarts than those that get picked off early in life. Record deer have different habits and get big because they are smart. If the guys next door know anything about big deer, they shouldn't be too worried...a dummy deer was just eliminated from the gene pool, and a tag was filled with a deer other than their monster that they've been tracking. I think I would be more sick if a guy next door told me he shot the 12 pt. that I had been tracking for 3 months.

I would GLADLY lease your Dad's place, because he won't put the effort in to get the monsters! Ha ha ha!

Post Thanks / Like

hahahah hey art thats the inside joke at my dads house....we always ask how big of a spike are you going to kill this year....and my dads reply is : my tag, my kitchen window , keep that in mind when its cold and raining and your still waiting.....

Post Thanks / Like

Where my farm is located there are 3 landowners with about 1000 acres total that have an 8 point or better rule. It has made a difference, we've killed 3 B&C and a number of P&Y deer on my place in the past 10 years. With that said I hope your dad told them to kick rocks. My dad was the same way, he grew up in a generation when if they saw antler it was going down.

Deer hunting has changed in the past 20 years but one thing hasn't, if he owns the land he makes the rules. Personally unless the neighbors happen to drive up when we have them hanging I never tell them what we killed or where it was killed. Keeps people honest. I'd tell the lease guys you shoot anything with horns, that'll keep them on their side of the fence.

Post Thanks / Like

well the leasers are happy as pigs in syrup, they each killed a turkey and one got a really old gnarly 8pt with a bow, wouldnt score real good but a neat looking deer anyway and definitely mature. they offered half the deer to my dad if we wanted it, pretty smart move im guessing their thinking was "if he's got deer in the freezer he wont need to shoot one". and a very polite gesture as well. my dad thanked them but told them "no you guys enjoy your deer meat this winter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stripernut View Post
    Wow i expect this to be wildly unpopular but im still asking.....
    today we were shooting turkey guns on my dads farm when the guys from lexington that lease the neighboring farm pull in the drive and make small talk and politely askt for permission to turkey hunt...my dad politely tells them it is family only but feel free to stop by anytime for a cup of coffee (these guys seem very polite). then the talk turns to deer hunting and they talk about the feeders and trailcams theyve put up and what they would like to see walk. they asked my dad if we did any good so far this year and my dad tells them about the 9pt my son killed in youth season, and he tells them he shot a 4pt last year from the deck (my dad doesnt deer hunt, he shoots one from the deck or walks to the back fence ) i thought the visitors were going to cry....they said A 4 POINT?!?!?!?! and then go on to explain how we will never have any big deer if we dont let the little ones walk ( i ended up showing them all the racks from big bucks taken over the last 35 yrs or so- they stand corrected)
    the quandry here is this....my dad has been row-cropping this farm for 40 yrs , it is his property outright, not leased ground but his land deed and all.....how do you presume to have any right to stand in a landowners yard and tell him how to hunt HIS deer? when first of all he lives, works there year round for 40 years , provides more for the local wildlife on a year around basis than a feeder that is up for about 6 weeks?
    dont get me wrong i will always try to to shoot the biggest buck i have available to me and thismeans letting the young ones walk, but if my daughter is hunting with me shame on anything thats she takes a liking to.....and this is family business....nobody elses.
    please let me know what you think....i dont think my dad is in the wrong,but i welcome feedback, positive or negative
    I don't disagree with but one point you made. They are not "HIS deer" and, if they are, he is breaking the law. They are wild and free to roam and nobody can lay claim to them. There are a lot of deer that hang out around the lake and oak trees on my land in AL. There is a herd that practically live in the corner of the yard at my house in TN. They come and go every day, they are wild and free to roam. Now, if people decide to hunt them on MY land, then they have a big problem because the land is posted. If the deer want to take cover and hide, eat and drink, or just hang out I welcome them and will protect them as long as they are on my property but I can't protect them when they walk across the land line and leave my land. As much as I would like to claim them, I'm sorry but they are not mine.

I will post a photo on the Photo Board of a herd of deer that lives on my friend's land. They look so safe and unafraid as they enjoy their evening 'family time.' No hunter would want to meet up with that landowner and start messing with those deer while they are on his property.

Post Thanks / Like

What bothers me about the story is the part where thier telling you about all the feeders and camera's. Not that I'm against feeders or camera's I use them. But killing Turkeys on land that is baited isn't legal in KY. Doesn't matter if they lease it or own it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tracy View Post
    What bothers me about the story is the part where thier telling you about all the feeders and camera's. Not that I'm against feeders or camera's I use them. But killing Turkeys on land that is baited isn't legal in KY. Doesn't matter if they lease it or own it.

I was thinking the same thing. That is one reason we don't bait, because we all hunt the fall turkey season as well.

Post Thanks / Like

i hope they dont, i honestly just dont get that from these guys though, they seem like genuinely nice guys and i get the feeling they watch way more than they shoot. usually those guys are not going to be the kill all slay all bloodthirsty type. two of the three have killed bucks, one big very old 8pt with a bow and a very mature heavy racked 8 with a gun. the landowner (my cousin) visits with them each evening just to shoot the bull and says he hopes these guys keep the lease forever , i think they do to. the day i started the thread my feathers were a little ruffled, not bad just a little, over them trying to impose restrictions on what my dad shoots on his land, since then i retract my ruffled feathers, they have offered my dad half of both deer they killed AND told my dad anytime he wanted to sit in one of their stands on their lease feel free. he politely declined as he is not a stand sitter but more like a coffee drinker kitchen sitter. i guess I HOPE they keep the lease forever, they have been great neighbors

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear things have worked out Stripernut. Maybe it was a misudnerestanding, sounds like these guys are doing everything they can to be good neighbors.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nonamesleft47 View Post
    Deer hunting has changed in the past 20 years but one thing hasn't, if he owns the land he makes the rules. Personally unless the neighbors happen to drive up when we have them hanging I never tell them what we killed or where it was killed. Keeps people honest. I'd tell the lease guys you shoot anything with horns, that'll keep them on their side of the fence.
    Ill probably get thrashed for saying this but ill say it anyway.

Twenty years ago if you sniped a deer through a little hole out in a box that was twenty foot up in the air and overlooking a feeder you were considered a joke and not a real hunter. Thats how things have changed.
    Just like twenty years ago if you saw homosexuals kissing on television it was considered disgusting. Back then the homosexuals were considered to be jokes but these days if you dont accept what they do you are considered to be the joke. Oh well.